View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 124 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1231
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I am glad that I never experience this in real life, only in debate forums.

    well, I did hear this kinda stuff in college..but much less sophisticated.
    I wish I could say the same.

    I really wish I could take the revisionists, and in true spirit, force them to warp back in time to the year 1860, and spend just 24 hours working as a plantation slave. Maybe some of them might get it after that. But not all of them would, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Exactly how did we "reeducate" the Germans to "break their nationalistic spines"? I'm just curious here.
    German Patriotism: A Fresh Start - Knowledge@Wharton

    Germany HAD to rid that nationalism out of its system in order not to make the same mistake twice three times in a row. The long-term result? They're one of the most prosperous nations on the planet today. Took a little while to get there, though.

    How many casualties were there as a result of this "terrorist attack" on Ft. Sumter? Just curious again.
    Starving people out medieval-style is condonable? Well hey then. Lemme go pull a Timothy McVeigh, but it'll be in the dead of night, so it won't kill anyone (except a janitor or two) and therefore it's not terrorism.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #1232
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Still fighting the Civil War, are we? Trying to take our eye off the ball that the South fought it to defend a racist institution, are we? I gotta give you revisionists credit, you sure have a lot of tenacity.
    The revisionists are the ones keeping hold of this public school argument that the south started the war and that slavery was the only issue. You guys don't even realize how badly you're getting beat here. In the face of the constitution, historical writings dating back decades before the war, and all other evidence. Again, who's revising? Again, northern apologists. It wouldn't even be that bad if you all would just admit the north weren't saints in all of this.

    Most of your other comments are a complete red herring. Unlike you, I'm grateful that the Union won. No, I won't even call it that. I'm grateful that AMERICA won. It's a real shame that some Americans choose to keep rooting for the losers.
    Those rooting for the losers realize that the federal grew to unreasonable proportions due to that loss, you can thank that loss the next time you get frisked by the TSA, or audited by the IRS, or whatever happens.
    Furthermore, your comment that the Union winning the war cost us liberty is a subtle racist comment.
    I will say this once only, if you ever try to accuse me of something as atrocious as racism with that weak of an argument again we will have a problem. There is nothing racist about supporting states rights. You have chosen to side with expansion of a centralized government.
    Blacks won freedom from slavery BECAUSE the Civil War rooted out.
    Actually, that was not a matter settled by the Civil War, the thirteenth amendment wasn't ratified until the reconstruction in 1865. The fact is the war had already been over with.
    And it was the South who, in the days following, passed the Grandfather Clause, Jim Crow laws, etc. The North didn't have nearly as many of these problems. But hey, I guess the South had liberty instead--as long as you were White!
    Jim Crowe and other racially motivated hatred were a direct result of reconstruction abuses by Union officials, it doesn't make that right but it's fact. Next point, nobody answered which state had the largest KKK membership in the supposedly "bad south, bad bad south" period of our history, here's a hint, they urbanized in great numbers towards the north.

    Reconstruction was a failure because it did not go nearly far enough. Just as we reeducated Germans to break their nationalistic spine after WWII, we should have broken the pro-Confederate, anti-American spine of the South after the Civil War. Had we done that, we wouldn't be having stupid discussions such as these.
    So theft,fraud, rape, and destruction of property didn't go far enough? Yeah, and we were the assholes, go figure.


    What aggressive action? Feeding men who were under a medieval-style siege, you call that aggression? Nah, aggression was the formation of a bastard government that took over a huge chunk of America. Now THAT'S a government takeover if I ever heard of one.
    Considering they were in southern territory, I could care less if they suffered. Oh and that "bastard government" had the right to secede, they did so peacefully. You can drop the pretense any time.


    omg, I didn't even think of it that way. Which means that the siege of Ft. Sumter was nothing short of an act of terrorism.
    Fort Sumter was an act of aggression no matter which way you try to spin it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #1233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Yeah, and I suppose that we've gotta give you Libbos some credit as well, you sure have a knack for dodging documented, historical fact.

    such as?

    .....

  4. #1234
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Yeah, and I suppose that we've gotta give you Libbos some credit as well, you sure have a knack for dodging documented, historical fact.
    Some people just don't want to learn.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #1235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The revisionists are the ones keeping hold of this public school argument that the south started the war and that slavery was the only issue.....
    who fired the first shots? the South.

    what was the main cause of the war? Slavery.

  6. #1236
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I am glad that I never experience this in real life, only in debate forums.

    well, I did hear this kinda stuff in college..but much less sophisticated.
    I wish I could say the same.

    I really wish I could take the revisionists, and in true spirit, force them to warp back in time to the year 1860, and spend just 24 hours working as a plantation slave. Maybe some of them might get it after that. But not all of them would, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Exactly how did we "reeducate" the Germans to "break their nationalistic spines"? I'm just curious here.
    German Patriotism: A Fresh Start - Knowledge@Wharton

    Germany HAD to rid that nationalism out of its system in order not to make the same mistake twice three times in a row. The long-term result? They're one of the most prosperous nations on the planet today. Took a little while to get there, though.

    How many casualties were there as a result of this "terrorist attack" on Ft. Sumter? Just curious again.
    Starving people out medieval-style is condonable? Well hey then. Lemme go pull a Timothy McVeigh, but it'll be in the dead of night, so it won't kill anyone (except a janitor or two) and therefore it's not terrorism.

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Yeah, and I suppose that we've gotta give you Libbos some credit as well, you sure have a knack for dodging documented, historical fact.
    What fact?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #1237
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    who fired the first shots? the South.

    what was the main cause of the war? Slavery.
    Yawn. Been there, done that, crushed that argument. Got anything not debunked?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #1238
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    it was called de-Nazification. and it appears to have worked well.......
    I thought that was going to be the answer. Does your ingnorance and/or denial of the facts know no bounds? DeNazification worked well eh? Prove it. Back it up with documentation. I have NEVER read any reputable writings on this subject that called the Denazification program anything more than a witchhunt and a complete failure. Please; however, feel free to enlighten us with your unique ability to dance around questions and dodge any facts which may be thrown your way. Quite entertaining really.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #1239
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    German Patriotism: A Fresh Start - Knowledge@Wharton

    Germany HAD to rid that nationalism out of its system in order not to make the same mistake twice three times in a row. The long-term result? They're one of the most prosperous nations on the planet today. Took a little while to get there, though.
    Okay, I just read the entire article that you hyperlinked. EXACTLY where does it say ANYTHING about the US "reeducating" Germans and "breaking their nationalistic spines." In fact, it does not mention reeducaton or the deNazification program at all, does it? You are either a blatant liar or you are not very good at this whole debating thing.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  10. #1240
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,746

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The revisionists are the ones keeping hold of this public school argument that the south started the war and that slavery was the only issue. You guys don't even realize how badly you're getting beat here. In the face of the constitution, historical writings dating back decades before the war, and all other evidence. Again, who's revising? Again, northern apologists. It wouldn't even be that bad if you all would just admit the north weren't saints in all of this.
    Yeah, we're getting beat alright--by a bunch of revisionists who can't support a thing they say!

    Sorry, but those views have no place in an AMERICAN school.

    Those rooting for the losers realize that the federal grew to unreasonable proportions due to that loss, you can thank that loss the next time you get frisked by the TSA, or audited by the IRS, or whatever happens.
    This is one of the most retarded things I have heard around here in weeks. How in the ****ing hell did winning the Civil War result in TSA pat-downs???

    I will say this once only, if you ever try to accuse me of something as atrocious as racism with that weak of an argument again we will have a problem. There is nothing racist about supporting states rights. You have chosen to side with expansion of a centralized government.
    I'm sorry, is that a threat? I am not retracting my accusation of racism. You claim that the South lost liberty because it lost the Civil War, yet by the very same token, Blacks GAINED some liberty, and you mourn that? Racism.

    Actually, that was not a matter settled by the Civil War, the thirteenth amendment wasn't ratified until the reconstruction in 1865. The fact is the war had already been over with.
    And I'm sure you think that's just a coincidence. Would you like to go ahead and argue that the 13th Amendment impedes on our freedom?

    Jim Crowe and other racially motivated hatred were a direct result of reconstruction abuses by Union officials, it doesn't make that right but it's fact. Next point, nobody answered which state had the largest KKK membership in the supposedly "bad south, bad bad south" period of our history, here's a hint, they urbanized in great numbers towards the north.
    Man these lies are getting good, somebody pass me some popcorn! Reconstruction caused the KKK. LMAO, what's next, it also caused the Berlin Wall?

    Oh and yes I know which state you're referring to. Illinois, primarily--and totally coincidentally--the Southern part.

    So theft,fraud, rape, and destruction of property didn't go far enough? Yeah, and we were the assholes, go figure.
    That happens in a war. Had the South simply modernized their economy like the North did, there is a real chance that this whole fiasco could have been avoided.

    Considering they were in southern territory, I could care less if they suffered. Oh and that "bastard government" had the right to secede, they did so peacefully. You can drop the pretense any time.
    Bullcrap they can. And don't give me any 10th Amendment BS, either. Texas v. White shut that tripe down real quick. What the Confederacy did was high treason, pure and simple.

    Fort Sumter was an act of aggression no matter which way you try to spin it.
    Damn straight it was--by the South! Nobody has a right to fly any flag higher than the Stars and Stripes on US soil. To do so is to show contempt for the United States of America. THAT is what the Confederate flags mean to me: Contempt for the United States of America. And that is why I despise them.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •