View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 121 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1201
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You need to get your facts straight (and cut out the flaming).

    For one thing, a hostile group of Southerners basically had Ft. Sumter surrounded and cut off from basic supplies. That could have been construed as an act of war. But fortunately, one of the many things the Confederacy didn't have was the shrewd leader Abraham Lincoln. Instead of attacking, he sent a supply vessel to Ft. Sumter so that the men could have food on their table. The aggressive Southerners, of course, wanted nothing to do with this, choosing to assault the fort instead.

    Also, you beg the question of the legality of secession. Pro-secessionists WANT it to be legal, and they keep crying "10th Amendment," despite the fact that the Supreme Court has clearly ruled that this is not the case.

    Can I ask you something? Why are you and a few others so eager to defend a "nation" (and I use that word VERY loosely) that established itself as a sworn enemy of the United States of America? I, for one, and SO glad that the Confederacy got crushed in the Civil War. United States of America, not Divided States of America.
    All this has been hashed out, your side doesn't want to objectively look at the facts and really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Sorry if I can't take you seriously anymore. I'll leave you with this, you refuse evidence that the north did just as much to cause the war as the south, possibly more. The truth isn't flaming, and ignorance of counter points doesn't make you anymore correct. Frankly I'm getting bored.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #1202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    ...Frankly I'm getting bored.
    yes, we are all getting kinda bored of having to dispute such dishonest claims like "the USA is a federation of sovereign nation-states", "Ft. Sumter was illegally occupied by Federal troops, which was an act of war", and "all of the states of the CSA had a state referendum on secession".

  3. #1203
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, we are all getting kinda bored of having to dispute such dishonest claims like "the USA is a federation of sovereign nation-states", "Ft. Sumter was illegally occupied by Federal troops, which was an act of war", and "all of the states of the CSA had a state referendum on secession".
    You want to use the whole context?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #1204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    We, the People, in order to form a perfect UNION. Establish justice and insure DOMESTIC tranquility. Provide for the COMMON defense. Promote the GENERAL welfare and secure the blessings of liberty, to OURSELVES and our posterity...do ordain & establish this Constitution of the UNITED States of America.

    happy now??? (yes, I memorized it years ago)


    So where does that say the united states is a single nation? You have proven nothing.

    Now, if only there were some evidence to support my contention that the federal government is a union of independent sovereign nation-states. Hm, if it only contained the word "union", I'd really have a good argument.

    (BTW, Your memory is faulty. You made a mistake, and a significant one.)

  5. #1205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Let's straighten out some terminology. A "nation-state" is a country based upon an ethnic grouping. None of the States currently in the union fit that description, and you'll have a heck of a time convincing me that the people of North Carolina are essentially a different culture than South Carolina.

    You may continue with your misguided argument that we are not "One nation, Under God, indivisble," if you wish.
    So East Germany and West Germany weren't different nation-states?

  6. #1206
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,149

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Now, if only there were some evidence to support my contention that the federal government is a union of independent sovereign nation-states.
    We are all waiting for you to back up your argument that North Carolina and South Carolina are different in the same way that way, Germany and France are.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #1207
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    do you know how I define a "redneck"? a racist white person. poverty need not be included.

    no, its not bigotry...to hate racism and racists.
    it's nice when you are able to redefine terms as to not apply to you and the folks you support... isn't it?

    how about "cracker"... i'm guessing that not racist or bigoted in your dictionary either.


    i gotta say, i'm so not impressed with you tonight... you've taken a big hit on the consistency scale... your claim that you hate racists and bigots is false, blatantly so.

  8. #1208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, we are all getting kinda bored of having to dispute such dishonest claims like "the USA is a federation of sovereign nation-states", "Ft. Sumter was illegally occupied by Federal troops, which was an act of war", and "all of the states of the CSA had a state referendum on secession".
    Do you deny that upon winning their independence from Britain they were independent, sovereign states?

  9. #1209
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,149

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    So East Germany and West Germany weren't different nation-states?
    Actually East and West Germany were based on who controlled what part of Germany after WWII. It wasn't based on a "nation-state" it was based on whether it was controlled by the US or the USSR.

    So very bad example. A better example of the "nation-state" would be the re-unification of East and West Germany into one German state to match the one German nation.
    Last edited by rocket88; 11-19-11 at 09:05 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #1210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    We are all waiting for you to back up your argument that North Carolina and South Carolina are different in the same way that way, Germany and France are.
    Well, North Carolina and South Carolina are separate states, just as Germany and France are separate states. So they differ in the same way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •