View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 12 of 183 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #111
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't but I have already shown you are wrong so I am done here. Have a good one.
    No you haven't. Point out where it says that all the rights given in the constitution are optional and states can disobey it at any time.

  2. #112
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Neither is listening to a bunch of rednecks. And jon stewart is more accurate then some in the mainstream media.
    That's what it all boils down to. The bigotry of the Leftists, especially against southerners, is what drives this revisionist, politically correct version of history.

    Fortunately, there aren't any historical facts to support any of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    That is beside the point, to the common soldier it may have been about states rights, but the war would have never started if slavery wasn't in danger of being abolished. The main reason the war was fought was because of slavery, it's disingenuous to say otherwise.

    Oddly enough there are many historians who would disagree with you. My college history Prof was one of them... and he was from somewhere up North, and his ancestors hadn't even arrived in 1865, so it isn't like he had any dog in that fight. He was just concerned with historical accuracy. His History of the Civil War class was awesome, much like his History of Vietnam class.... he began the latter class with "to understand the root causes of the Vietnam War, we must begin in approximately 900 BC, when the ...."

    Very thorough fellow who looked deeper than surface issues.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #114
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Here is what you said in the previous thread on the confederate flag



    When repeatedly challenged, you did provide a single source which listed three confederate states as having such referendums on secession an in one of them - Virginia - the state was so badly divided that it split into two.

    You either outright lied about this allegation of the historical record or you simply are ignorant about history as evidenced BY YOUR OWN FAILURE TO BACK UP YOUR STATEMENT.

    But by all means do prove that you are correct. Simply provide the verifiable information that you said you would give us and never have to this point. Try to regain a shred of your lost honor and credibility by giving us the historical information which proves you could do what you said you could do



    Perhaps your friend Grooms from Indiana has a verifiable source for you usage?
    No evidence? That's doesn't come as a surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #115
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Their battle cry was not "to maintain a luxurious standard of living for the rich plantation owners who keep slaves!" Uh, no. Men don't die for something like that.
    But they would die for the right to keep the main foundation of their economy - slavery. They would fight for state's rights - the main one at the time was slavery. They would fight against an encroaching federal government - who was mainly impacting their right to own slaves and bring them anywhere in the country.

    There were obviously many individual motives for the individual soldiers, but most of the issues for the Confederacy revolved around slavery.

  6. #116
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    That is beside the point, to the common soldier it may have been about states rights, but the war would have never started if slavery wasn't in danger of being abolished. The main reason the war was fought was because of slavery, it's disingenuous to say otherwise.
    Southerners viewed the abolition of slavery as a threat to their property rights. They saw things from the traditional American perspective: when one right is eroded, the rest are surely to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #117
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Let me expand on this a little.

    Gettysburg: Little Round Top. Southern infantry tried to take that hill, walking into a withering storm of enemy fire, advancing arm-in-arm as they took horrendous casualties.

    Again and again, there are examples of Southern soldiers charging into withering enemy fire with incredible determination, and suffering horrendous losses.

    Their battle cry was not "to maintain a luxurious standard of living for the rich plantation owners who keep slaves!" Uh, no. Men don't die for something like that.

    State's rights, and the right of their home state to self-determination within its borders, was their cause, the reason they fought with such determination and willingly died in large numbers in these battles.

    If you wish to argue that they were being decieved by their leadership, that's another issue we can debate.... but please do not besmirch their honor, in fighting for their home States, which they regarded with the reverence the modern American reserves for his nation.
    Which is why the Civil War was probably the most un-popular war in United States history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #118
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    All the secession documents make it clear that slavery is the reason and everything else was related to slavery.
    First off, you tend to be drifting from the OP's question. Fact is, the "Stars and Bars" the "flag" as we now know it, WAS NOT adopted by those who filed these Sessionist Documents............it was adopted as a Battlefield emblem and used as a rallying symbol by Confederate soldiers, at last 95% of which were too poor to own a slave even if they'd wanted to. Go back and read Goshin's last two or three posts......he covered the reasoning pretty well.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #119
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    But they would die for the right to keep the main foundation of their economy - slavery. They would fight for state's rights - the main one at the time was slavery. They would fight against an encroaching federal government - who was mainly impacting their right to own slaves and bring them anywhere in the country.

    There were obviously many individual motives for the individual soldiers, but most of the issues for the Confederacy revolved around slavery.
    150 years from now, after the animal rights freaks abolish pet ownership, they'll look back at us and think about evil we were.

    They'll be wrong, of course...because? Because, they're not looking at things from the proper historical perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #120
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Southerners viewed the abolition of slavery as a threat to their property rights. They saw things from the traditional American perspective: when one right is eroded, the rest are surely to follow.
    Humans as property. Its absolutely disgusting that any "god-fearing" person would justify such heinous act committed in our country. The US was the last industrialized country to abolish slavery because bunch of racist rednecks didn't want to progress as the rest of society did. The same reason the rednecks from the south like strom thurmond tried to filibuster the civil rights acts. Russia abolished serfdom before we abolished slavery. That's embarrassing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •