View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 112 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1111
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    you clearly have no idea.
    Go ahead, crawl out on your belly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #1112
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Yet they fought its abolition.
    No they didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #1113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No they didn't.
    really? how did they react when the CSA threatened to enslave any black POWs caught in battle?

  4. #1114
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    dealing with the slavery issue at our countries inception did happen, just not "officially". ( actually it was in 1790, but close enough )

    keeping slavery around, and protecting it, was an agreement reached in return for the newly formed federal government getting help from the southern states to pay war debt.

    it was the grand bargain for assumption.

  5. #1115
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    All of them acknowledged slavery was immoral.
    George Washington: "there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it."

    —Letter to Morris, April 12, 1786, in George Washington, A Collection, ed. W.B. Allen (Indianapolis: Liberty Classics, 1989), 319.


    John Adams: "Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States…. I have, through my whole life, held the practice of slavery in …abhorrence."

    —Letter to Evans, June 8, 1819, in Selected Writings of John and John Quincy Adams ed. Adrienne Koch et al. (New York: Knopf, 1946), 209-10.


    Benjamin Franklin: "Slavery is …an atrocious debasement of human nature."

    —"An Address to the Public from the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery" (1789), Benjamin Franklin, Writings ed. J.A. Leo Lemay (New York: Library of America, 1987), 1154.


    Alexander Hamilton: "The laws of certain states …give an ownership in the service of negroes as personal property…. But being men, by the laws of God and nature, they were capable of acquiring liberty—and when the captor in war …thought fit to give them liberty, the gift was not only valid, but irrevocable."

    —Philo Camillus no. 2 (1795), in Papers of Alexander Hamilton, ed. Harold C. Syrett (New York: Columbia University Press, 1961-), 19:101-2.


    James Madison: "We have seen the mere distinction of colour made in the most enlightened period of time, a ground of the most oppressive dominion ever exercised by man over man."

    —Speech at Constitutional Convention, June 6, 1787, in Max Farrand, ed., Records of the Federal Convention of 1787 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1937), 1:135.

    The Founding Fathers and Slavery (Founding Fathers) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

    Washington’s act of manumission implied that he could envision a biracial United States where both blacks and whites might live together as free people.
    Okay great. So how do any of these statements PROVE that the Founders KNEW that slavery would eventually end? It simply shows that several of them felt that the institution was immoral. Two of the Founders you quote above were slave owners.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #1116
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Okay great. So how do any of these statements PROVE that the Founders KNEW that slavery would eventually end? It simply shows that several of them felt that the institution was immoral. Two of the Founders you quote above were slave owners.
    Read the bolded part.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #1117
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    ok, you claim slavery was issue #1.

    what were the other four issues that had nothing to do with slavery?
    Don't misquote me. I did not say that it was #1,,,,,,just one of FIVE, which were all equally important to the average Southerner.
    The other four reasons being: (1) the tariff (2) location of the trans-continental railroad (3) states rights and organization of the western territories and perhaps the single-most important and immediate cause of Secession (4) the election of Abraham Lincoln.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  8. #1118
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    really? how did they react when the CSA threatened to enslave any black POWs caught in battle?
    Those men petitioned the Confederate Congress to abolish slavery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #1119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Those men petitioned the Confederate Congress to abolish slavery.
    evidence? ....

  10. #1120
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Read the bolded part.
    Yes, I read where the word "IMPLIED" was also in bold. So, this is your "proof".....laughable.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •