View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 111 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1101
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Exactly, I wonder how people fail to see the distinction. Maybe they are part of the latter group you described and are highly offended.
    When you use a derogatory term to refer to an entire culture of people, thats ****ing racism!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #1102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When you use a derogatory term to refer to an entire culture of people, thats ****ing racism!
    good thing he didn't use a derogatory term to refer to an ENTIRE culture of people.

  3. #1103
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,073

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    They knew this how? Consulted the Stars? Better yet, I would sincerely, like for you to PROVE to me how YOU know, which future events the Founders were predicting 223 years ago. I'm going to sit back, this should be good!
    All of them acknowledged slavery was immoral.
    George Washington: "there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it."

    —Letter to Morris, April 12, 1786, in George Washington, A Collection, ed. W.B. Allen (Indianapolis: Liberty Classics, 1989), 319.


    John Adams: "Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States…. I have, through my whole life, held the practice of slavery in …abhorrence."

    —Letter to Evans, June 8, 1819, in Selected Writings of John and John Quincy Adams ed. Adrienne Koch et al. (New York: Knopf, 1946), 209-10.


    Benjamin Franklin: "Slavery is …an atrocious debasement of human nature."

    —"An Address to the Public from the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery" (1789), Benjamin Franklin, Writings ed. J.A. Leo Lemay (New York: Library of America, 1987), 1154.


    Alexander Hamilton: "The laws of certain states …give an ownership in the service of negroes as personal property…. But being men, by the laws of God and nature, they were capable of acquiring liberty—and when the captor in war …thought fit to give them liberty, the gift was not only valid, but irrevocable."

    —Philo Camillus no. 2 (1795), in Papers of Alexander Hamilton, ed. Harold C. Syrett (New York: Columbia University Press, 1961-), 19:101-2.


    James Madison: "We have seen the mere distinction of colour made in the most enlightened period of time, a ground of the most oppressive dominion ever exercised by man over man."

    —Speech at Constitutional Convention, June 6, 1787, in Max Farrand, ed., Records of the Federal Convention of 1787 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1937), 1:135.

    The Founding Fathers and Slavery (Founding Fathers) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

    Washington’s act of manumission implied that he could envision a biracial United States where both blacks and whites might live together as free people.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  4. #1104
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have seen gross ignorance in spades on this site. One poster claimed he would offer proof that all eleven confederate states held state wide votes on secession along with an additional three border states as well. he could only come up with a tiny three and was left looking rather foolish. Same poster offered the lunatic ranting of some convicted killer in prison for first degree murder that was published on Aryan and white supremacy sites because even wikipedia would not let the crap pollute their site.

    Now that is ignorance supreme.
    And, there were statewide votes, either in the form of a referendum, or special elections for conentions. Why is that so hard for some folks figure out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #1105
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    why do you deny that slavery was the main cause of the South's secession?
    Because, realistically, there around FIVE MAIN reasons why citizens of the Southern States favored Secession and slavery was simply ONE of them. And please, don't respond by posting hyperlinks to Secessionst Documents filed by individual states, I am more than familiar with these.

    The REAL point here is, the average Southerer didn't (couldn't have) read these Secessionist Papers, Southern Senators used slavery as the focal point of many of these papers for obvious reasons..........(1) Because of the economic
    importance of slavery to the entire USA, (2) Because this was the political "hot topic" of the day and, (3) This was the ONE issue that Abolitionist Senators from the North would never compromise on.........You see, the South wanted Separation.....they did not want further attempts at compromise. They'd seen how well, that'd worked out in Kansas and Missouri.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 11-19-11 at 05:29 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #1106
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    All of them acknowledged slavery was immoral.
    George Washington: "there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it."

    —Letter to Morris, April 12, 1786, in George Washington, A Collection, ed. W.B. Allen (Indianapolis: Liberty Classics, 1989), 319.


    John Adams: "Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States…. I have, through my whole life, held the practice of slavery in …abhorrence."

    —Letter to Evans, June 8, 1819, in Selected Writings of John and John Quincy Adams ed. Adrienne Koch et al. (New York: Knopf, 1946), 209-10.


    Benjamin Franklin: "Slavery is …an atrocious debasement of human nature."

    —"An Address to the Public from the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery" (1789), Benjamin Franklin, Writings ed. J.A. Leo Lemay (New York: Library of America, 1987), 1154.


    Alexander Hamilton: "The laws of certain states …give an ownership in the service of negroes as personal property…. But being men, by the laws of God and nature, they were capable of acquiring liberty—and when the captor in war …thought fit to give them liberty, the gift was not only valid, but irrevocable."

    —Philo Camillus no. 2 (1795), in Papers of Alexander Hamilton, ed. Harold C. Syrett (New York: Columbia University Press, 1961-), 19:101-2.


    James Madison: "We have seen the mere distinction of colour made in the most enlightened period of time, a ground of the most oppressive dominion ever exercised by man over man."

    —Speech at Constitutional Convention, June 6, 1787, in Max Farrand, ed., Records of the Federal Convention of 1787 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1937), 1:135.

    The Founding Fathers and Slavery (Founding Fathers) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

    Washington’s act of manumission implied that he could envision a biracial United States where both blacks and whites might live together as free people.
    So did Robert E. Lee, Thomas Jackson, James Longstreet and Patrick Cleburne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #1107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Because, realistically, there around FIVE MAIN reasons why citizens of the Southern States favored Secession and slavery was simply ONE of them.....
    ok, you claim slavery was issue #1.

    what were the other four issues that had nothing to do with slavery?

  8. #1108
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    good thing he didn't use a derogatory term to refer to an ENTIRE culture of people.
    Really? Who was he talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #1109
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,073

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So did Robert E. Lee, Thomas Jackson, James Longstreet and Patrick Cleburne.
    Yet they fought its abolition.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  10. #1110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Really? Who was he talking about?
    you clearly have no idea.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •