View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 11 of 183 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #101
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Are Stewart's antics more accurate than documented historical FACT itself?
    All the secession documents make it clear that slavery is the reason and everything else was related to slavery.

  2. #102
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I know it was not your point, but you made an untrue statement in supporting your point.

    And yet you rally against a symbol of the South while knowing little about those who fought for it outside of the slavery issue?

    I mean this is what it looks like.
    I know alot about those who fought for it, most of my ancestors fought for it, I studied the civil war extensively in high school(AP US history isn't a joke), I know the main issue was slavery, there were other issues, but the main one was slavery. They were the bad guys, I'm glad America won, it would probably be a much darker world if we hadn't, and I fail to see why they should be called hero's just because they fought for what they believed in, that is not a hero IMO.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #103
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Yep. The constitution certainly does not allow secession glad you agree.
    I don't but I have already shown you are wrong so I am done here. Have a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, gee, HM, feel free to post information that proves me wrong.
    Here is what you said in the previous thread on the confederate flag

    What I will do, however, prove that all 11 Confederate states and 3 border states had state wide referendums on secession.
    When repeatedly challenged, you did provide a single source which listed three confederate states as having such referendums on secession an in one of them - Virginia - the state was so badly divided that it split into two.

    You either outright lied about this allegation of the historical record or you simply are ignorant about history as evidenced BY YOUR OWN FAILURE TO BACK UP YOUR STATEMENT.

    But by all means do prove that you are correct. Simply provide the verifiable information that you said you would give us and never have to this point. Try to regain a shred of your lost honor and credibility by giving us the historical information which proves you could do what you said you could do

    What I will do, however, prove that all 11 Confederate states and 3 border states had state wide referendums on secession.
    Perhaps your friend Grooms from Indiana has a verifiable source for you usage?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #105
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    No one seceded.
    No one screamed, "treason", either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #106
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I know alot about those who fought for it, most of my ancestors fought for it, I studied the civil war extensively in high school(AP US history isn't a joke), I know the main issue was slavery, there were other issues, but the main one was slavery. They were the bad guys, I'm glad America won, it would probably be a much darker world if we hadn't, and I fail to see why they should be called hero's just because they fought for what they believed in, that is not a hero IMO.
    OK we are done here.

    Have a good one Star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #107
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    99% of the soldiers and sailors in Confederate service didn't own slaves. Had it been just about slavery, there's no way the people in the South would have voted for secession, much less joined the military to fight such a bloody war.
    That is beside the point, to the common soldier it may have been about states rights, but the war would have never started if slavery wasn't in danger of being abolished. The main reason the war was fought was because of slavery, it's disingenuous to say otherwise.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #108
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Are Stewart's antics more accurate than documented historical FACT itself?
    Was there something wrong in what he said that you can point out or are you just going to keep with the rhetoric? Do what you gotta do, guy. Generally, when I say someone is wrong, I try to post actual facts instead of just running my mouth.

  9. #109
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No one screamed, "treason", either.
    they would have if they seceded because secession is not allowed in our constitution.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I know alot about those who fought for it, most of my ancestors fought for it, I studied the civil war extensively in high school(AP US history isn't a joke), I know the main issue was slavery, there were other issues, but the main one was slavery. They were the bad guys, I'm glad America won, it would probably be a much darker world if we hadn't, and I fail to see why they should be called hero's just because they fought for what they believed in, that is not a hero IMO.
    And even many of the secondary issues revolved around slavery. Those issues included the Southern economy, state's rights and the reach of the federal government - all of which revolved around slavery. The Southern economy revolved around slavery. They wanted the state right to own slaves and take them anywhere in the country and they wanted the federal government to stay out of slavery.

Page 11 of 183 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •