View Poll Results: Would you consider the new immigration standards suggested in the OP?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 60.00%
  • No

    5 33.33%
  • Maybe, if it was less extreme

    1 6.67%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

  1. #51
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    Nazi Germany had a pretty impressive immigration policy which I'm sure a lot of "tough on the border" supporters would enjoy.

    "Illegal" immigration is a strawman intended to keep the sheep around the world bickering amongst themselves so they don't realize the enormous fence they are willingly erecting around them. The problem with a fence is that it not only keeps people out but it also keeps people in.
    We take in 141 legal immigrants an HOUR (1.2 million a YEAR) and that is somehow akin to Nazi Germany???

  2. #52
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbelt View Post
    Do you mind sourcing that piece of info? I'm staring at a list of 1238 appointees, and I'm not seeing an R, D, or I next to anyone's name.
    Sure. Wikipedia has a good list of them- Judicial appointment history for United States federal courts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  3. #53
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Nice attempt at diversion from the simple fact that you endorse paying non-Americans less and paying Americans to NOT work.
    Except you are ignoring other simple facts.

    1) The less American dollars those immigrants earn are worth more than what they can earn in their home country.

    2) Those jobs don't pay at the education level of most Americans. Rather, most Americans need wages that will provide them with livable wages and will also pay off the debts they incur for their college or university education. The work that migrant workers do are not at this level.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #54
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    60 Minutes did a story about a factory in Nebraska that 20 years ago was paying 20? dollars an hour for a floor job and the town was 97% white and now, 20 years later the same job commands a whopping 10 dollars an hour and the town is 80% or so latino. This is not unusual either. Play all the emotional games you like though...
    The gist of Bod's post is directly related to the dangers of the current US immigration policies, as pointed out in the OP.

    High standards are paramount to people with high standards. Profit is paramount to capitaism whose only goal is profit. These are productive qualities that should be maintained at all costs.

    But when a large number of people with low standards enter into the equation, the standards for everyone are lowered due to the efficient nature of capitalism which drives all successful economies.

    This is one of the main reasons why a new 21st century immigration policy is neccessary. To ensure the survival of western culture and economical success we must maintain the qualities that created it.

    It is time we begin thinking with our heads instead of our hearts. Now, I want you men to start acting like men and get this country back on track!(hmmm, did my motivational speech sound sexist?)

    (by the way Bodhisattva, your selfless sacrifice for humanity is much needed)
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  5. #55
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    Nazi Germany had a pretty impressive immigration policy which I'm sure a lot of "tough on the border" supporters would enjoy.

    "Illegal" immigration is a strawman intended to keep the sheep around the world bickering amongst themselves so they don't realize the enormous fence they are willingly erecting around them. The problem with a fence is that it not only keeps people out but it also keeps people in.
    Suggesting that a policy is somehow evil because it was implimented by an unpopular ideology is no indication of it's neccessity or effectiveness.

    The fact of the matter is that nazi germany's evil was rooted in it's socialist policies, which seeped into and corrupted all other policies.
    Attached Images Attached Images Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?-true_professionals-jpg 
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  6. #56
    User BossHogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-11 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    A study done in 2010 found that illegal immigration costs the US each year is $113 Billion. The largest costs are $52 billion to educate children of illegal immigrants, because the parents do not pay into the tax system so the state and local level absorbs those costs. The study also broke down the cost to each state and in the states with high numbers of illegals, the amount it costs the state is more than the states deficits. So you would think that if they got ride of those illegals, the money they would save would eliminate the state deficits. Additional costs include walfare, medical treatment, medicaid, food stamps and free school lunches, prison and court costs, and also the huge cost of trying to police the issue. They need to deport every last one of them, seal our boarders, and give huge fines to anyone who hires them or rents them an apartment. I have no issue with someone who wants to come here legally, learn the language, and pay taxes but I have a huge problem with people who come here illegally. They dont pay taxes and a large percentage of them are bringing drugs with them and breaking the law.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by rosie1 View Post
    Gosh, when I first saw the thread title, I thought.. huh? um, you can't keep time from happening. Actually, neither party has developed a policy for effectively dealing with immigration. They were both too leary of offending the huge Latino vote in the past.

    Besides, isn't the problem the illegals, not those who legally apply for immigration? Won't big fines for the companies who employ illegals get rid of a lot of the problem?
    Heavens forbid, the conservatives would never allow this....fining themselves....
    Yes, we do need a far better immigration policy for the 20th century...the 21st would be too great a leap forward...
    I do believe that we can learn a lot from the more advanced nations - such as New Zealand....or Germany.
    I, for one, am not convinced that a problem even exists..
    I do not trust our media.

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    A study done in 2010 found that illegal immigration costs the US each year is $113 Billion. The largest costs are $52 billion to educate children of illegal immigrants, because the parents do not pay into the tax system so the state and local level absorbs those costs. The study also broke down the cost to each state and in the states with high numbers of illegals, the amount it costs the state is more than the states deficits. So you would think that if they got ride of those illegals, the money they would save would eliminate the state deficits. Additional costs include walfare, medical treatment, medicaid, food stamps and free school lunches, prison and court costs, and also the huge cost of trying to police the issue. They need to deport every last one of them, seal our boarders, and give huge fines to anyone who hires them or rents them an apartment. I have no issue with someone who wants to come here legally, learn the language, and pay taxes but I have a huge problem with people who come here illegally. They dont pay taxes and a large percentage of them are bringing drugs with them and breaking the law.
    And, who is the party behind this "survey" ?
    Who funded it ?
    And while being confronted with such hatred and fear, while do they continue to come ??

  9. #59
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack
    We take in 141 legal immigrants an HOUR (1.2 million a YEAR) and that is somehow akin to Nazi Germany???
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica
    Suggesting that a policy is somehow evil because it was implimented by an unpopular ideology is no indication of it's neccessity or effectiveness.
    I neither suggested current immigration policy is evil nor akin to Nazi Germany. However, the reactionary attacks on so-called “illegal” immigrants are both eerily reminiscent of Nazi Germany and morally reprehensible. Fundamentally, what is the difference between forcing a person to relocate versus prohibiting them from relocating?

    The issue is not that immigrants move into this country “illegally” as so many commonly suggest. The real issue is as Empirica pointed out, “when a large number of people with low standards enter into the equation, the standards for everyone are lowered due to the efficient nature of capitalism which drives all successful economies.” I will clarify that “low standards” simply means lower wages. There are certainly people who are simply hostile to immigrants and there are many people who are ignorant of economics and are still under the spell of mercantilism, but the truth is that people move to where they are able to attain a better life. This is why most people are hostile to “illegal” immigration more than any other. They just want to keep their inflated wages. Essentially the U.S. government is attempting to act as a national union.

  10. #60
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Suggesting that a policy is somehow evil because it was implimented by an unpopular ideology is no indication of it's neccessity or effectiveness.

    The fact of the matter is that nazi germany's evil was rooted in it's socialist policies, which seeped into and corrupted all other policies.
    Actually, Nazi Germany's evil was rooted in its fascist policies, but it was actually their nationalist policies that seeped into and corrupted all other policies.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •