View Poll Results: Would you consider the new immigration standards suggested in the OP?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 60.00%
  • No

    5 33.33%
  • Maybe, if it was less extreme

    1 6.67%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

  1. #41
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Please explain how paying a person enough wages where they can live in the US for half the year and then live in their home country for the other half of the year in relative comfort, as well as being able to buy consumer goods unavailable in their home country, "slave labor."
    Are they being paid wages 'no American would accept' to do a job 'no American would do'? Yeah...that. Justifying slave labor because hey...they have it a lot worse in their country is...well...kinda sad. Good thing we have plenty of people living in misery in their home country to exploit for that cheap labor. And hey...its always a plus when you ship American dollars OUT of the US economy. Thats GOT to help with the future job market, housing, etc...

  2. #42
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Are they being paid wages 'no American would accept' to do a job 'no American would do'? Yeah...that. Justifying slave labor because hey...they have it a lot worse in their country is...well...kinda sad. Good thing we have plenty of people living in misery in their home country to exploit for that cheap labor. And hey...its always a plus when you ship American dollars OUT of the US economy. Thats GOT to help with the future job market, housing, etc...
    Oh, so you're a supporter of the legalization of all recreational drugs so the nations these poor immigrants come from will be able to export their recreational pharmaceutical products to here in the US so they can use that as an economic stimulus to increase their nation's prosperity. Glad to learn that.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #43
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Are they being paid wages 'no American would accept' to do a job 'no American would do'? Yeah...that. Justifying slave labor because hey...they have it a lot worse in their country is...well...kinda sad. Good thing we have plenty of people living in misery in their home country to exploit for that cheap labor. And hey...its always a plus when you ship American dollars OUT of the US economy. Thats GOT to help with the future job market, housing, etc...
    "Slave labor" is a term that's thrown around a lot, and often misused. A slave is not someone who is willing to work for less than other people. A slave is coerced into their job and treated like property. This does not fit the vast majority of illegal immigrants. Some illegal migrants are actually caught up in real slavery schemes in this country, and it's horrible. However, this has more to do with immigration laws pushing them into a seedy, underground economy. As for the vast majority, many risk their lives and go through great hardship to come here. They have to overcome separation from loved ones, pursuit from law enforcement, and difficult living conditions, and yet millions of them still come. If anything, this desperation for work would discredit claims of widespread slavery.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #44
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Our government can try to pick immigrants based upon factors like education, which fields will be desirable in the future (whatever the hell those are going to be), or current income. It seems like a good idea to just allow in the people that will do the most "good" for society, again an extremely subjective term. The problem is that everyone else still wants to get in. You can impose restrictions on employers, militarize the border, and step up deportations. Millions will still get past it. Half of illegal immigrants came here legally and overstayed their welcome, and the border with Mexico is 2,000 miles long; I can tell you from numerous urban exploration trips, that evading security isn't the most difficult thing in the world. The numbers may be reduced, and that is a reason to step up enforcement, as long as its cost effective. However, millions of people will still make it in, and due to an immigration process that only accepts the "best and brightest," they will have very little economic opportunity. These people cause problems precisely because they are not allowed to rise up. Allow them to make something more of themselves by liberalizing our immigration policy. I'm not saying that there should be no registration process at all, but a door needs to be open for unskilled workers.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  5. #45
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,043

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    I don't know as much about the Alabama case. Let me read the opinion and get back to you.



    Depends what you mean by "help with illegal immigration". It certainly improves the quality of life of the people in the city. You don't have undocumented immigrant communities that are afraid to go to the police to report crime because they might get deported in sanctuary cities, for example, but that's a huge problem in many places that haven't adopted those kinds of policies.
    this is where we part. Quality of life for an illegal immigrant is of little concern for me. Now quality of life for legal immigrants or guest workers is a different story. Basically, you seem to support those that have broken our laws by being illegal in this country. If they were legally in this country they would have no reason to fear law enforcement.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  6. #46
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    this is where we part. Quality of life for an illegal immigrant is of little concern for me.
    Even so, having an entire community in a city you live in that can't report crimes to the cops is detrimental to your quality of life too. It creates a safe harbor for all kinds of criminal enterprises that affect everybody in the city. The criminals aren't necessarily undocumented immigrants nor are their victims.

    But yeah, to some extent we do still part ways there. I honestly don't understand how somebody could completely write off other human beings just because of some paperwork problem. These are families. Kids that were born here, grandmothers that have lived here since they were babies, good, hard working, people. To just say you don't care one iota about how they live just seems crazy to me...
    Last edited by teamosil; 11-11-11 at 12:37 AM.

  7. #47
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Oh, so you're a supporter of the legalization of all recreational drugs so the nations these poor immigrants come from will be able to export their recreational pharmaceutical products to here in the US so they can use that as an economic stimulus to increase their nation's prosperity. Glad to learn that.
    Nice attempt at diversion from the simple fact that you endorse paying non-Americans less and paying Americans to NOT work.

  8. #48
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    "Slave labor" is a term that's thrown around a lot, and often misused. A slave is not someone who is willing to work for less than other people. A slave is coerced into their job and treated like property. This does not fit the vast majority of illegal immigrants. Some illegal migrants are actually caught up in real slavery schemes in this country, and it's horrible. However, this has more to do with immigration laws pushing them into a seedy, underground economy. As for the vast majority, many risk their lives and go through great hardship to come here. They have to overcome separation from loved ones, pursuit from law enforcement, and difficult living conditions, and yet millions of them still come. If anything, this desperation for work would discredit claims of widespread slavery.
    Gotcha. So...because they are desperate we can justify paying those low wages.

  9. #49
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Nazi Germany had a pretty impressive immigration policy which I'm sure a lot of "tough on the border" supporters would enjoy.

    "Illegal" immigration is a strawman intended to keep the sheep around the world bickering amongst themselves so they don't realize the enormous fence they are willingly erecting around them. The problem with a fence is that it not only keeps people out but it also keeps people in.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The significant majority of federal judges are conservative appointees, so if there is political bias, it's going the opposite way from what you think.
    Do you mind sourcing that piece of info? I'm staring at a list of 1238 appointees, and I'm not seeing an R, D, or I next to anyone's name.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •