View Poll Results: Would you consider the new immigration standards suggested in the OP?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 60.00%
  • No

    5 33.33%
  • Maybe, if it was less extreme

    1 6.67%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

  1. #21
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,634

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Yes, we indeed do need a new 21st century immigration policy.

    We need one that makes it easier for immigrant migrant workers to come over and do the jobs that natives refuse to do.
    Sure...and we need to stop paying unemployment and social services for those Americans that refuse to do those jobs.

  2. #22
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Sure...and we need to stop paying unemployment and social services for those Americans that refuse to do those jobs.
    Sure...and we need to ensure that they get jobs that pay to a level of their education and gives them a livable wage so they don't have to get everything via debt.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #23
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,634

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Sure...and we need to ensure that they get jobs that pay to a level of their education and gives them a livable wage so they don't have to get everything via debt.
    Oh... but you are fine with bringing in slave labor??? Geezus, man...the duplicity some folks display on the whole immigration/social services thing...anything and everything to shoehorn things into your ideology.

    Hey brown people...you get to clean our **** for **** wages...howz that make you feel?

  4. #24
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Yes and the courts stuck down the provision in Alabama which requires legal immigrants to carry their greencard. Guess what , federal law requires that.
    Oh, ok. I looked it up. They didn't strike anything down. The court just issued an injunction so that they can't start enforcing it until the question of whether it is constitutional is sorted out in court. So we don't have a decision on the merits, so I can't say what, if anything, they will actually strike down or why.

    What I do know is that the provision in that law that requires schools to report parents and students that don't have residency paperwork to the state is a non-starter. The Supreme Court ruled a long time ago that the constitution does not permit states to deny education to children because of the immigration status of their parents, and that provision is a blatant attempt to get around that. That part will certainly be struck down. The part about being required to carry your greencard, I would guess it will depend on the details. If Alabama is making it more onerous or a more serious offense or changing how it can be enforced or something, it'll be struck down. If it really does just exactly parallel the federal law, then it won't.

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I now have an opinion that some courts rulings are political.
    The significant majority of federal judges are conservative appointees, so if there is political bias, it's going the opposite way from what you think.

  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oh... but you are fine with bringing in slave labor??? Geezus, man...the duplicity some folks display on the whole immigration/social services thing...anything and everything to shoehorn things into your ideology.

    Hey brown people...you get to clean our **** for **** wages...howz that make you feel?
    No, not at all.

    You see, the immigrant migrant workers make a ****load of money doing it.

    Yes, it's not a whole lot of money compared to our standards of living. However, to them, they can save the money and live pretty well when they take that money back to wherever they're from. This is because of the different exchange rates between the US and the countries that those migrant workers come from.

    So while a US citizen can't live on those wages year-round here in the US, a migrant worker can work 6 months and take that money and live pretty well for the next 6 months he spends at his homeland.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #26
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,634

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    No, not at all.

    You see, the immigrant migrant workers make a ****load of money doing it.

    Yes, it's not a whole lot of money compared to our standards of living. However, to them, they can save the money and live pretty well when they take that money back to wherever they're from. This is because of the different exchange rates between the US and the countries that those migrant workers come from.

    So while a US citizen can't live on those wages year-round here in the US, a migrant worker can work 6 months and take that money and live pretty well for the next 6 months he spends at his homeland.
    I gotcha...migrant workers DESERVE to get paid **** wages to do jobs no AMERICAN would deign themselves to do. that speaks volumes...about the Americans that refuse to work and you.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,825

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I gotcha...migrant workers DESERVE to get paid **** wages to do jobs no AMERICAN would deign themselves to do. that speaks volumes...about the Americans that refuse to work and you.
    tsk tsk

    American used to do all of these jobs prior to wages being driven down due to the supply of near slave wage seekers seeking to do anything to make a buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #28
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I gotcha...migrant workers DESERVE to get paid **** wages to do jobs no AMERICAN would deign themselves to do. that speaks volumes...about the Americans that refuse to work and you.
    Are you purposefully not reading what I post?

    I said that migrant workers make a lot of money - at least compared to what they can get paid in their own country.

    On the wages that migrant workers make in the US working for 6 months they can afford to live here pretty sparingly and then spend the next 6 months in their home country. This is because their dollars are worth more in their home country that the dollar is worth in the US.

    However, they cannot stay here in the US year-round on those same wages. The annual costs are simply too high for them.

    So they come over here, do the migrant work, live sparingly in small housing, usually rented. They may also buy some goods unavailable in their home country to take back, which helps our economy. Then with that cash they head back home and do some other work but have a healthy savings that will last them until the next 6 months. At which point they come back and do that migrant work again.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  9. #29
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,634

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    tsk tsk

    American used to do all of these jobs prior to wages being driven down due to the supply of near slave wage seekers seeking to do anything to make a buck.
    Its so NICE we dont have to deal with all the ships...chains...and the specter of ACTUAL slavery when we can dangle a few baubles and bring in all this nice cheap brown labor.

  10. #30
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,634

    Re: Does America Need A New 21st Century Immigration Policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Are you purposefully not reading what I post?

    I said that migrant workers make a lot of money - at least compared to what they can get paid in their own country.

    On the wages that migrant workers make in the US working for 6 months they can afford to live here pretty sparingly and then spend the next 6 months in their home country. This is because their dollars are worth more in their home country that the dollar is worth in the US.

    However, they cannot stay here in the US year-round on those same wages. The annual costs are simply too high for them.

    So they come over here, do the migrant work, live sparingly in small housing, usually rented. They may also buy some goods unavailable in their home country to take back, which helps our economy. Then with that cash they head back home and do some other work but have a healthy savings that will last them until the next 6 months. At which point they come back and do that migrant work again.
    Oh yes...I get EXACTLY what you are saying. And hey...child labor in foreign countries is CERTAINLY acceptable since without the child labor they wouldnt have anything. I get you. Indeed...THATS the answer to our immigration policy...more cheap labor. And all those riches they make...that money gets sent...where? Thats right...OUT of the economy. This all just keeps getting better and better.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •