Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Which is the greater priority for America?

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-11 @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2

    Which is the greater priority for America?

    Curing unemployment or fixing the economy?

    For me, I feel that the economy must be fixed first. With a better economy, it opens new doors for industries to expand which would gradually take down the unemployment.

    What's your opinion?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    There is no poll here.
    In addition, fixing the economy generally automatically guarantees keeping down unemployment, so the answer is obvious
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  3. #3
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonMartin View Post
    Curing unemployment or fixing the economy?

    For me, I feel that the economy must be fixed first. With a better economy, it opens new doors for industries to expand which would gradually take down the unemployment.

    What's your opinion?
    The two go hand in hand.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #4
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    The two go hand in hand.
    Not really. Not if by "fixing the economy" you mean merely growth. Growth can happen without job creation. It's essentially like kick starting Wall Street so it works well, but doing nothing for the actual people unemployed. So no jobs are created, but it looks like things are growing because stocks and such can do ok. But the Federal Reserve's mandate is not on growth (even though that's what they've interpreted it as and hence why we have the "solutions" to our economic problems that we have). The Federal Reserve's mandate is to balance inflation and unemployment.
    Last edited by Ikari; 11-10-11 at 11:18 AM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #5
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    businesses can grow revenues thru enhanced efficiencies while shedding jobs
    it's happening now


    but i would submit that neither of your priority options is paramount

    in my never humble opinion, revising campaign finance laws, such that only registered voters can make campaign contributions (up to a defined maximum) for only those candidates who could be found on their ballots
    is the number one issue to be changed
    right now, we have the best government money can buy
    we must return government to responding to the needs of the citizens ... and not to monied interests and foreign governments
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #6
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Not really. Not if by "fixing the economy" you mean merely growth. Growth can happen without job creation. It's essentially like kick starting Wall Street so it works well, but doing nothing for the actual people unemployed. So no jobs are created, but it looks like things are growing because stocks and such can do ok. But the Federal Reserve's mandate is not on growth (even though that's what they've interpreted it as and hence why we have the "solutions" to our economic problems that we have). The Federal Reserve's mandate is to balance inflation and unemployment.
    I don't really see "merely growth" as really "fixing" anything. I mean, we have growth now. Doesn't seem to be making a whole lot of difference in the lives of the millions of unemployed.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #7
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Not really. Not if by "fixing the economy" you mean merely growth. Growth can happen without job creation. It's essentially like kick starting Wall Street so it works well, but doing nothing for the actual people unemployed. So no jobs are created, but it looks like things are growing because stocks and such can do ok. But the Federal Reserve's mandate is not on growth (even though that's what they've interpreted it as and hence why we have the "solutions" to our economic problems that we have). The Federal Reserve's mandate is to balance inflation and unemployment.
    Not quite. Economic growth without job growth is largely unsustainable as you'll end up with huge amounts of unemployed causing a real drag upon your economy. So that's not really fixing the economy per se when the growth that's "fixing it" cannot be reasonably sustained beyond the short term. As our economy is 70% consumer driven, without job growth, it's only a matter of time for that "Growth" to come crashing back down.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #8
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    To me when you say economy, it means jobs..there are MILLIONS of people out of work that cant pay their bills. This is the worst ive seen it in my lifetime.
    Ive given alot of thought to how to fix it...and I dont think it can be fixed long term. The teaparty keeps saying ad nauseum cut taxs, cut government. Cutting govt just cuts more jobs at this point. Corporations and banks are sitting on trillions of dollars and making hundreds of billions in profits and not hiring one person. Why? because they are creating jobs everywhere else to make an EXTRA BUCK.
    I dont see CEOs whos golden parachutes just broke a record mark of a 100 million plus...just saying Ok lets help out America and Americans and bring the jobs back...that aint happening...so other than that..whats left...americans all agree to work for chinese wages in an american cost of living ? or do americans just start eating dogs and cats and dieing in the streets like the chinese used to before our wonderful corporations made them a superpower ....I dont know you tell me.

  9. #9
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't really see "merely growth" as really "fixing" anything. I mean, we have growth now. Doesn't seem to be making a whole lot of difference in the lives of the millions of unemployed.
    Economists tend to measure economies with GDP, so the OP has to define "fix the economy" first before a logical debate can take place. Whatever be the case, I think reducing unemployment will encourage GDP growth, although, not necessarily vice versa. However, there is a risk that raising unemployment with lower wage jobs will still lead to lower standard of living, and perhaps even very low growth compared to previous level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  10. #10
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Which is the greater priority for America?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Not quite. Economic growth without job growth is largely unsustainable as you'll end up with huge amounts of unemployed causing a real drag upon your economy. So that's not really fixing the economy per se when the growth that's "fixing it" cannot be reasonably sustained beyond the short term. As our economy is 70% consumer driven, without job growth, it's only a matter of time for that "Growth" to come crashing back down.
    At what level of "unemployment" is it unsustainable? European countries, like France and Spain, maintain a higher structural unemployment level than the US and appear to be fine.

    The US doesn't have to stay consumer driven, it can change, as China is shifting towards a higher consumption as part of its GDP from Export, so the US can do the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •