View Poll Results: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should stay, he wasn't involved.

    8 7.14%
  • He should stay, he did what his part by reporting it to somebody.

    59 52.68%
  • He should go, he didn't do enough.

    39 34.82%
  • He should go, he's ultimately responsible no matter what.

    5 4.46%
  • I have no clue. Fill me in.

    1 0.89%
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 239

Thread: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

  1. #71
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I'd ask them why they didn't stop it instead of telling me about it.
    But you would not notify the Police. I guess the University made the decision easy by firing Paterno. I think that makes a statement about how inept he was in handling the information that he received. I wonder how many other children suffered from his and others neglect in not making this situation known to authorities?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  2. #72
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    apparently Paterno thought it mattered, since he reported it to his boss, who thought it mattered enough to report it to the authorities.

    the real villian in this is the guy who actually saw it happen and did nothing to stop it.

    but since he isn't famous it wouldn't be as sensational a news story so....it doesn't matter
    He might still have a job and a glowing reputation had he notified the police instead of his boss who handled it just as poorly.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  3. #73
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    When I see something as egregious as a child being raped I'd take immediate physical action AND I'd immediately call the authorities.

    NO ONE reported this to the authorities . . .they handled it privately in their 'school' upper-chain which means they did nothing. . . and there's not much mention of who first witnessed it - other than that it was a graduate assistant. Unless I'm missing some news on this.

    Regardless: to know that there are people out there who wouldn't take immediate steps to prevent said activity are disgusting. . .did this child's parents ever know their child was abused? Poor kid - needed help and no one gave a damn.
    You bring up a point that needs to be discussed. I firmly believe at least a few of these parents knew what happened to their boys. It probably wasn't the anal rape incident although it could be, but some of the parents were aware that their boys were being groped or touched inappropriately and did nothing. I am positive Sandusky's wife was aware on some level as were other people close to him. Also, the eight victims in the indictment are just the tip of the iceburg. I am sure his abuse goes much further back and will involve dozens of kids. I think what we should be trying to do is come to an understanding of the dynamic that causes good, honorable people not to follow through and do the right thing. These aren't bad people. Many are probably usually people of action. We need to learn something here and crucifying everyone around Sandusky is not the best way to get at the answers.

  4. #74
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    You bring up a point that needs to be discussed. I firmly believe at least a few of these parents knew what happened to their boys. It probably wasn't the anal rape incident although it could be, but some of the parents were aware that their boys were being groped or touched inappropriately and did nothing. I am positive Sandusky's wife was aware on some level as were other people close to him. Also, the eight victims in the indictment are just the tip of the iceburg. I am sure his abuse goes much further back and will involve dozens of kids. I think what we should be trying to do is come to an understanding of the dynamic that causes good, honorable people not to follow through and do the right thing. These aren't bad people. Many are probably usually people of action. We need to learn something here and crucifying everyone around Sandusky is not the best way to get at the answers.
    In the handling of Penn State's response (lack of it), what difference does it make what the parents did or did not know? And how can anyone extrapolate from what's been reported that some parents knew and did nothing? You've taken a giant leap in logic here...and there's no net.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #75
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    He's past the age of retirement anyway, it's not like he didn't live his life's dream, where's the punishment in that? Will he get retirement money from them?

  6. #76
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    He's past the age of retirement anyway, it's not like he didn't live his life's dream, where's the punishment in that? Will he get retirement money from them?
    Of course, he will. That's a contractual obligation. And you're right....it was certainly past time for this guy to move over.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #77
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    You bring up a point that needs to be discussed. I firmly believe at least a few of these parents knew what happened to their boys. It probably wasn't the anal rape incident although it could be, but some of the parents were aware that their boys were being groped or touched inappropriately and did nothing. I am positive Sandusky's wife was aware on some level as were other people close to him. Also, the eight victims in the indictment are just the tip of the iceburg. I am sure his abuse goes much further back and will involve dozens of kids. I think what we should be trying to do is come to an understanding of the dynamic that causes good, honorable people not to follow through and do the right thing. These aren't bad people. Many are probably usually people of action. We need to learn something here and crucifying everyone around Sandusky is not the best way to get at the answers.
    Maybe some did - is there proof?

    If a parent knows their child is being molested and does nothing they deserve just as much judgment - maybe more.

    But I'm not about to assume any of them knew unless evidence comes out as such.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #78
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In the handling of Penn State's response (lack of it), what difference does it make what the parents did or did not know? And how can anyone extrapolate from what's been reported that some parents knew and did nothing? You've taken a giant leap in logic here...and there's no net.
    In terms of Penn States responsibility and culpability what the parents knew or didn't know does not make a difference. I am just looking at the broader picture of how everyone is reacting to some of the people surrounding Sandusky. What I suggest is not a giant leap in logic. If you will look at other cases of people like Sandusky you will find they all follow a familiar and tragic pattern.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Neither and no vote
    Joe is the product of another era, when a good deal of people were "not so nice" - to minorities, children, women....If we "fire " him, should we fire 10,000 Catholic priests as well, or 50 million or us....
    Those without sin, cast the first stone....
    What the so-called "news" dwells on I find to be disgusting !

  10. #80
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should Joe Paterno stay or go?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Neither and no vote
    Joe is the product of another era, when a good deal of people were "not so nice" - to minorities, children, women....If we "fire " him, should we fire 10,000 Catholic priests as well, or 50 million or us....
    Those without sin, cast the first stone....
    What the so-called "news" dwells on I find to be disgusting !
    Well, he's fired. We don't live in "that era" anymore. Guy's an amoral jerk. 50 million of us? What the heck does that mean? "Those without sin..." -- how many people do you know and fail to report to authorities who molest little boys?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •