View Poll Results: Are you tired of all things OWS?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! We need 24/7 coverage until the Movement succeeds!

    20 20.00%
  • Anti-OWS, but I like arguing about it.

    7 7.00%
  • Pro-OWS, but I'm getting tired of arguing about it.

    10 10.00%
  • Anti-OWS, sick of hearing about it.

    37 37.00%
  • Not taking sides, just plain sick of it all.

    17 17.00%
  • Other/Rootebega

    9 9.00%
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 263

Thread: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

  1. #201
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,766
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Angry View Post
    The wealthy have a moral obligation to help those who are less well off. But even if they didn't have that obligation, it would still be in their best interest to endorse a moderate amount of government redistribution of wealth to keep the imbalance from growing too large.

    In the early '30s there was a real danger that either a Russian style socialist revolution would sweep over America, or America would descend into fascism in the attempt to suppress that threat. The main reason neither of those things happened was because of the New Deal. Economists will debate forever whether the New Deal did anything to ameliorate the Great Depression, but the redistribution of wealth that it represented took the wind out of the sails of the growing socialist movement. It's why Germany got Hitler and you didn't.
    Only the wealthy have obligations? Why does the poor not have moral obligations as well? Why should anyone endorse any theft of property from one individual or company whether it is by a government, another company or individual ? Are you sure the main reason we got neither a Russian style revolution nor a Hitler was the New Deal and not the fact that we were a religious and moral nation instead ?
    The question is more important than the answer!

  2. #202
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Angry View Post
    The wealthy have a moral obligation to help those who are less well off.
    They do? Why? I am failing to see why the wealthy have a moral obligation to help those who don't want to work as hard....

    But even if they didn't have that obligation, it would still be in their best interest to endorse a moderate amount of government redistribution of wealth to keep the imbalance from growing too large.
    So..... what does that teach younger generations? You can be a drug abusing bum and let those who make the decision to work hard take care of you? Why not a message of personal responsibility rather than a message that support bumming and freeloading?

    In the early '30s there was a real danger that either a Russian style socialist revolution would sweep over America, or America would descend into fascism in the attempt to suppress that threat. The main reason neither of those things happened was because of the New Deal. Economists will debate forever whether the New Deal did anything to ameliorate the Great Depression, but the redistribution of wealth that it represented took the wind out of the sails of the growing socialist movement. It's why Germany got Hitler and you didn't.
    If you say so.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #203
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Angry View Post
    Society can do that. Not the government.
    How?........


  4. #204
    User Bloody Angry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    11-26-11 @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    How?........
    Greed is a psychological problem. It can be prevented on a human basis.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,766
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Angry View Post
    Greed is a psychological problem. It can be prevented on a human basis.
    That is why we have property laws and why societies created government to enforce individual rights to property ! Keep trying though...
    The question is more important than the answer!

  6. #206
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Angry View Post
    Greed is a psychological problem. It can be prevented on a human basis.
    You're talking around my question. How does society eliminate greed?


  7. #207
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    You're talking around my question. How does society eliminate greed?
    Can human nature, good or bad, be changed?

  8. #208
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Angry View Post
    The current system. How about we establish a radical democracy that places people's lives under their own control -- a non-racist, classless, feminist, socialist society in which people cooperate at work, at home, and in the community?
    What would be done then with those who are unable to control themselves? Those who are able-bodied but refuse to work, preferring instead to play the system? In your Utopia how would "cooperation" be carried out?

    And why in the world would you want a feminist society?

  9. #209
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    What I don't understand about what they did (or wanted to do) today....why would they want to occupy the subways? How does that help in the battle against the 1%?


  10. #210
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Thoroughly sick of all things Occupy? OWS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    What I don't understand about what they did (or wanted to do) today....why would they want to occupy the subways? How does that help in the battle against the 1%?
    Ignoring that the "99%" use the subways every day, you can figure on a rich guy being there sometime.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •