View Poll Results: This Will Increase the Water in the Ocean?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of Course It Will! Evidence to the contrary doesn't count.

    3 42.86%
  • This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

    4 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

  1. #1
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Under the theory that once you remove water from the ocean, it magically no longer counts, and any water that flows back into the ocean has therefore "multiplied" itself.


    oh wait, this is a crude and stupid representation of keynesian economic theory?

    gosh, what a friggin surprise. wonder why some people are so cowardly they won't answer the question as posed

  2. #2
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    You could increase the ocean's water by running a garden hose out to the ocean and turning it on. However, that's fresh water that would mess up the salt to water ratio of the ocean. You'd better also add some table salt.

  3. #3
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Under the theory that once you remove water from the ocean, it magically no longer counts, and any water that flows back into the ocean has therefore "multiplied" itself.


    oh wait, this is a crude and stupid representation of keynesian economic theory?

    gosh, what a friggin surprise. wonder why some people are so cowardly they won't answer the question as posed
    You know I love you CP, and I don't know if you were drunk when you posted this, but you're smart enough to know that this is an absolutely ridiculous analogy
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    For reals, Will. What were you drinking last night that got you so feisty?

  5. #5
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    You know I love you CP, and I don't know if you were drunk when you posted this, but you're smart enough to know that this is an absolutely ridiculous analogy
    that's the point - OC was complaining that people were refusing to argue that "reducing demand in the economy would lead to more jobs", because that is the strawman that he wants people to argue (as it is easier to defeat than the actual argument that government is a less efficient allocator of resources than the private market). this was set up to allow him to defend his position just as stupidly .

  6. #6
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    For reals, Will. What were you drinking last night that got you so feisty?
    Rum. Always Rum.

  7. #7
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Rum. Always Rum.
    Switch to Rare Old Nikka or kerosene. Are you sure it wasn't tainted with Acadama wine?

  8. #8
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Under the theory that once you remove water from the ocean, it magically no longer counts, and any water that flows back into the ocean has therefore "multiplied" itself.


    oh wait, this is a crude and stupid representation of keynesian economic theory?

    gosh, what a friggin surprise. wonder why some people are so cowardly they won't answer the question as posed
    We were just at our advisor on the Ocean. He likes the Ocean having lots of water; and, right now it does, much more than it can use right now. We know about how much and it's stored right now. He and we know the number of swimmers will be fewer in our area; but, on the other side of the ocean there appear to be new swimmers needing more water for the Ocean. So, that’s where we’ve got our water ready to go. Too bad we have fewer swimmers here now, but more sad watchers, but we expect to do great on the other side.

  9. #9
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Switch to Rare Old Nikka or kerosene. Are you sure it wasn't tainted with Acadama wine?
    I'm in Thailand. if it was tainted, it was probably with GHB.

  10. #10
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: You Can Increase The Ocean by Taking Water Out and Pouring It On The Ground

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that's the point - OC was complaining that people were refusing to argue that "reducing demand in the economy would lead to more jobs", because that is the strawman that he wants people to argue (as it is easier to defeat than the actual argument that government is a less efficient allocator of resources than the private market). this was set up to allow him to defend his position just as stupidly .
    Alright, makes more sense. Point conceded.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •