View Poll Results: Are all religions cults?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 40.35%
  • no

    29 50.88%
  • I do not know

    0 0%
  • other

    5 8.77%
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 284

Thread: Are all religions cults?

  1. #261
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    There's so much fail here that I'm going to rebut 99percenter's ridiculous arguments

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    How about condemning it. The nazi's were christian. The fact that the pope was indifferent to it is disgusting.
    The Nazis were absolutely not christian. Learn history, then talk. In addition, the Vatican was powerless in WWII, even Germany made plans to invade neutral Switzerland. There was no way they could have condemned or did anything about it. Also, the holocaust was unknown until the Soviet Union liberated the first of the many concentration camps, even then, the Allies refused to believe that the Nazis were committing genocide. Learn your history. Please. The argument you made is ridiculous like the argument that Obama is a Muslim

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    That's where you and i disagree. I think the founders weren't christian and that's why they decided on a secular nation instead of a christian one.
    Making a secular nation doesn't mean the founders were all atheists. The world isn't black and white.

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Most educated folks tend to be liberal.
    I literally laughed at that

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    DP? what does stand for. I had to look it up. Its either Double penetration or donkey punch. Do you mean that I am a sex act?
    Another bucket of fail here. You don't even know the initials for the site you're posting on?

    So, my point is, how about actually rebutting these points instead of ignoring my posts?
    Show how people knew that the Holocaust was being committed, how the Nazis were Christian, and how the founders of the US are supposed to hate religion if they made a secular state. Prove it.
    Just wondering, where the hell did you learn history?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  2. #262
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    given a certain amount of knowledge, or education, to deal with, the average person just "knows" things. The intellects among us are better at understanding things. I know lots of educated conservatives. They "know" a lot, but they connect the facts wrong too often. That is most often the case with the stupid emails that are clogging the internet.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #263
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    There's so much fail here that I'm going to rebut 99percenter's ridiculous arguments



    The Nazis were absolutely not christian. Learn history, then talk. In addition, the Vatican was powerless in WWII, even Germany made plans to invade neutral Switzerland. There was no way they could have condemned or did anything about it. Also, the holocaust was unknown until the Soviet Union liberated the first of the many concentration camps, even then, the Allies refused to believe that the Nazis were committing genocide. Learn your history. Please. The argument you made is ridiculous like the argument that Obama is a Muslim



    Making a secular nation doesn't mean the founders were all atheists. The world isn't black and white.



    I literally laughed at that



    Another bucket of fail here. You don't even know the initials for the site you're posting on?

    So, my point is, how about actually rebutting these points instead of ignoring my posts?
    Show how people knew that the Holocaust was being committed, how the Nazis were Christian, and how the founders of the US are supposed to hate religion if they made a secular state. Prove it.
    Just wondering, where the hell did you learn history?
    How do i know nazis were chrisitian. Easy Germany had a christian majority. We know what happened to the non christians dont we? Also pius XII was hitlers pope and knew about the holocaust. Millions of jews were in hiding all over europe, he helped hid some so of course he knew. Also the founders hated religion. Their quotes speak from themselves. Of course you dont believe any of the anti religion quotes.
    Last edited by 99percenter; 11-09-11 at 12:51 AM.

  4. #264
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    How do i know nazis were chrisitian. Easy Germany had a christian majority. We know what happened to the non christians dont we? Also pius XII was hitlers pope and knew about the holocaust. Millions of jews were in hiding all over europe, he helped hid some so of course he knew.
    There is no doubt religion played some role. But the Nazi movement was not primarily motivated by religion. At its heart, it was about racial purity more than anything else. Like so many other times in history, in this case religion merely served as a convenient vehicle to garner support. The Nazi movement was not inherently a religious movement.

    Also the founders hated religion. Their quotes speak from themselves. Of course you dont believe any of the anti religion quotes.
    Only if you cherry-pick the quotes you like and then take them out of context.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #265
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,011

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    But that's not what you originally asked. You asked why the Vatican did nothing to STOP THE GENOCIDE. Of course they could have "struggled" by issuing public condemnations, but how would this have stopped the holocaust? I'm sure that if the Pope had been a bit more vebal, Hitler would have just shut down all the camps and sent all the remaining Jews back home with full restitution.
    ı didnt ask such a thing, fluffy,ı just stated my comment on vatican.no religion wants you to commit genocide, but an institution like popedom which represents an important majority of the christians could have done everthing to save victims during the war.ı cant know how many catholics live in europe, approximately between 150 and 200 millions from italy ,spain,crotia,ireland ,etc..

    But popedom is a religious state and in Quran and bible,god says 'if we save one's life,we save all the mankind.
    Last edited by Medusa; 11-09-11 at 01:46 PM.

  6. #266
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    The Nazis were absolutely not christian.
    None sense. Europe up until the 60s was Christian to the 90% percentile. So how could the Nazi's NOT have been Christian? We can stand here talking all day and claim that a few prominent Nazis here and there weren't Christians but the overwhelming majority of Nazi Germany (that means officers, civilians, etc.) were in fact Christians. Quit revising history.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-09-11 at 02:51 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Hmm. Well you do know english is a sexist language. You usually use he if you don't know.
    English is a sexist language...?

    ...

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    The NAZI's were certainly not Christian. That argument is so ridiculous and flawed its really not even worth addressing, again. I suppose the communists were Christians, too?

  9. #269
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    The NAZI's were certainly not Christian. That argument is so ridiculous and flawed its really not even worth addressing, again. I suppose the communists were Christians, too?
    Your argument boils down to "NUH-UH!" - mine boils down to facts about

    1. the demographic in question and

    2. the period.

    Which communists are you red herring about in your usual manner? Cuban communists? Russian communists? Cuban communists are a bit schizophrenic. Publicly most of them were/are declared atheists. Privately however many of them were active in religious activities supporting both Catholicism and Afro-Cuba-isms. Russian communists, it depends. It's been my experience that Russians involved in politics are declared atheists. Ordinary citizens tend to range from communist and atheist to religious and bitter.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #270
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Not sure that Nazi Germany means that all germans were nazis.....it is a time period when Nazis were in control, but that doens't mean that the average german was a christian , or not a christian...
    Swedes are supposedly mostly Lutheran, like nearly all of them, but less than 5% actually attend church services. The definitions for labelling someone are ambiguous. IMO, if you never attend a church, you can't honestly claim an indentity with them. Further, even if you attend a christian church, and claim to be a christian, actions speak louder than words.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •