View Poll Results: Are all religions cults?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 40.35%
  • no

    29 50.88%
  • I do not know

    0 0%
  • other

    5 8.77%
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 284

Thread: Are all religions cults?

  1. #211
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    They wanted religious freedom but thought it should private.
    State churches existed well into the 19th century, you know.


    That's why they specially said that there should be no religious test for any public office
    That's why my fifth great uncle supported it during the ratification. He was also a devout Christian of the Congregationalist sect.

    Unfortunately being a christian has become a requirement for office and schools want to teach pseudo science to our kids. Our fondling fathers would be ashamed of how religious we have become as a nation.
    And yet accusations of atheism lived in Presidential politics for many many decades during and after the founding generation?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #212
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072
    Last edited by 99percenter; 11-08-11 at 10:47 PM.

  3. #213
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,347

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    State churches existed well into the 19th century, you know.
    Not only that, but the Capitol building was used for church services for decades (approved by Congress in 1800).


  4. #214
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,011

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    on dollars, ı read 'in god we trust'. ı never feel disturbed when ı read that. in fact a piece of god belief never hurts you,conversely it helps you be stronger in the life.if you avoid from all kinds of extremities, religion is good thing..

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    "I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies."
    "Lighthouses are more helpful then churches.

    Doesn't sound like a guy that went to church.
    Men of thought doubt alot.

    Benjamin Franklin, the delegate to the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention. He has frequently been used as a source for positive "God" talk. It is often noted that Franklin made a motion at the Constitutional convention that they should bring in a clergyman to pray for their deliberations:
    In this situation of this Assembly, groping as it were in the dark to find political truth, and scarce able to distinguish it when present to us, how has it happened, Sir, that we have not hitherto once thought of humbly applying to the Father of lights to illuminate our understandings?... I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth - that God governs in the affairs of men. (Catherine Drinker Bowen. Miracle at Phaladelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787. New York: Book-of-the-Month Club, 1966, pp. 125-126)
    ...Franklin presented his motion after "four or five weeks" of deliberation, during which they had never once opened in prayer... Franklin's motion was voted down... [Franklin] made the motion during an especially trying week of serious disagreement, when the convention was in danger of breaking up. Cathrine Drinker Bowen comments:
    Sounds to me he probably didn't like the church.... but I think he liked Jesus.. (if he was real)

    About March 1, 1790, [Franklin] wrote the following in a letter to Ezra Stiles, president of Yale, who had asked him his views on religion...:
    As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupt changes, and I have, with most of the present Dissenters in England, some Doubts as to his divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and I think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble...." (Carl Van Doren. Benjamin Franklin. New York: The Viking Press, 1938, p. 777.)
    He died just over a month later on April 17.
    Hopefully he died a christian.


    I got all that **** from this The religion of Benjamin Franklin, founding father
    Last edited by Free For All; 11-08-11 at 10:51 PM.

  6. #216
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Argument i was making is we aren't a christian nation and the treaty of tripoli is explicit that we weren't. Do you agree or disagree? I know very well what the treaty of Tripoli was for.
    The Treaty of Tripoli was rendered null and void, therefore what it purports is of no real historic significance today. To answer your second question.........hell no we're not a "Christian Nation".................does anyone think that based on our current state of morality, that Christ would consider it so? Was it founded upon Christian Principles, by a majority of men who publicly claimed to espouse these same Christian principles?...............Most assuredly.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 11-08-11 at 11:11 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #217
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    State churches existed well into the 19th century, you know.




    That's why my fifth great uncle supported it during the ratification. He was also a devout Christian of the Congregationalist sect.



    And yet accusations of atheism lived in Presidential politics for many many decades during and after the founding generation?
    I commend your uncle for being open minded to a non-christian president but I'm sure not everyone felt this way. And states cant take away a right in the constitution. If that's what the states did it was against the founders wishes.
    Last edited by 99percenter; 11-08-11 at 10:52 PM.

  8. #218
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    The Treaty of Tripoli was rendered null and void, therefore what it purports is of no real historic significance today. To answer your second question.........hell no we're not a "Christian Nation".................does anyone think that based on our current state of morality, that Christ would consider it so? Was it founded upon Christian Principles, by a majority men who publicly claimed to espouse these same Christian principles?...............Most assuredly.
    That's where you and i disagree. I think the founders weren't christian and that's why they decided on a secular nation instead of a christian one.

  9. #219
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    on dollars, ı read 'in god we trust'. ı never feel disturbed when ı read that. in fact a piece of god belief never hurts you,conversely it helps you be stronger in the life.if you avoid from all kinds of extremities, religion is good thing..
    Most of the crap was put in during the 50s. Has nothing to do with the founders.

  10. #220
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    How about condemning it. The nazi's were christian. The fact that the pope was indifferent to it is disgusting.
    Nazi's were Christians huh? You still haven't gotten past that one yet? Do you truly feel that the Ostrich Approach is working out that well for you? You do realize that you're making a complete ass of yourself? The other Atheists on this site are even avoiding your ignorant arguments like the plague.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •