View Poll Results: Are all religions cults?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 40.35%
  • no

    29 50.88%
  • I do not know

    0 0%
  • other

    5 8.77%
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 284

Thread: Are all religions cults?

  1. #91
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Are all religions cults?


  2. #92
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I'll simplify this. There are several definitions of "cult". Here they are:


    You're using the first and second definitions. However, most people use the third definition when referring to cults which is why most people don't consider Catholicism a cult, but they do consider the Branch Davidians a cult. For this reason, it is inaccurate to reduce the aversion of the religious to use "cult" as mere "sensitivity". On the contrary, it is their familiarity with society's use of "cult" (the third definition) that inspires them to object to people's use of the term. While their religions are "systems of religious beliefs", they may not be "regarded as unorthodox or spurious" which is what most people mean when they say the word.

    I should also correct the part of my post where I said that "I won't be surprised if the dictionary definition changes soon" because the dictionary has already changed as evidenced by the fact that dictionaries including the OED and MW use the definition I'm referring to. There's also this dictionary which lists the most popular definition first in their list.

    Also, I find it funny that you laughed about my link to Wikipedia when the definition I pointed you to on the page was from the Oxford English Dictionary. That's a pretty good source for definitions, no?
    Like I said I understand your points but the fact remains all religions are cults theres nothing to debate about, facts are facts.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    Like I said I understand your points but the fact remains all religions are cults theres nothing to debate about, facts are facts.
    I was never debating that point. Are you just going to ignore that and keeping it over and over again?

  4. #94
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I was never debating that point. Are you just going to ignore that and keeping it over and over again?
    nothing to go over, like YOU said my statment is true and a fact, you seem to keep trying to add to it or to make it less true and its not. WHat else would you like me to say LMAO

    I told you posts ago, I see your point and I may even agree with it but the fact remains all religions are cults but yet you keep replying and telling me more. You either have already ignored me or are trying to get me to debate some subjective topic that im unaware of and have no interest in debating. Im sorry am I doing something wrong? lol what would you like me to do besides acknowledge your points, say some are valid, i agree with some and note they have no impact to my factual statement??? Where would you like to go from here? LOL
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    nothing to go over, like YOU said my statment is true and a fact, you seem to keep trying to add to it or to make it less true and its not. WHat else would you like me to say LMAO

    I told you posts ago, I see your point and I may even agree with it but the fact remains all religions are cults but yet you keep replying and telling me more. You either have already ignored me or are trying to get me to debate some subjective topic that im unaware of and have no interest in debating. Im sorry am I doing something wrong? lol what would you like me to do besides acknowledge your points, say some are valid, i agree with some and note they have no impact to my factual statement??? Where would you like to go from here? LOL
    I don't really want anything with you. It's strange to me to make an argument and then have someone repeat a point that I wasn't contesting in response to it. Whatever.

  6. #96
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't really want anything with you. It's strange to me to make an argument and then have someone repeat a point that I wasn't contesting in response to it. Whatever.
    I agree it does seem strange if you were contesting it or trying to make it less valid why quote it and try to distract from it? seems the issue is clearly on your end
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I agree it does seem strange if you were contesting it or trying to make it less valid why quote it and try to distract from it? seems the issue is clearly on your end
    I don't even understand this comment. I never distracted from anything. I read your post, pulled out one point from and explained why I thought it was wrong. Like I said, whatever. It's really not even a big deal.

  8. #98
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't even understand this comment. I never distracted from anything. I read your post, pulled out one point from and explained why I thought it was wrong. Like I said, whatever. It's really not even a big deal.
    I agree its not a big deal but you just answered your own questions that you thought were wierd LMAO

    YOU explained why you thought it was wrong, and it is simply not, so I explained why it in fact is not wrong and that seemed to confuse you

    I dont know what to tell you, you have valid points, some which I agree with but they dont impact the fact that all religions are cults.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I agree its not a big deal but you just answered your own questions that you thought were wierd LMAO

    YOU explained why you thought it was wrong, and it is simply not, so I explained why it in fact is not wrong and that seemed to confuse you

    I dont know what to tell you, you have valid points, some which I agree with but they dont impact the fact that all religions are cults.
    You're misunderstanding my posts which may be my own fault, but clarification is probably not going to go anywhere.

  10. #100
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Are all religions cults?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You're misunderstanding my posts which may be my own fault, but clarification is probably not going to go anywhere.
    Thats VERY possible but im GUESSING (and I could easily be wrong) that I understand your posts fine, they just dont have the impact on me that you want them too.

    I mean no matter the meaning of your posts the fact remains that all religions are cults.

    the only thing really debatable is that in my OPINION I think the people that are offended by the calling of their religion a cult are over sensitive or overreacting because it is factual to call it a cult.

    Now we can debate that but I already admit its just my opinion, people getting upset over facts seems like overreacting or they are too sensitive to me. If you dont think so thats fine by me.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •