View Poll Results: Is College worth it?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes higher education is a must!

    12 37.50%
  • No most people got to college to party or put off real work!

    1 3.13%
  • Its a great life experience

    3 9.38%
  • Schools should be focusing a lot more on apprenticeships rather than sending everyone to college

    16 50.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Higher Education?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Higher Education?

    I wanted to get your thoughts on how important you think going to University is?
    My wife is about to finish her masters and is hopefully going to get a half decent job too reward her hard work, her coming to a finish as got me thinking should I go and get my degree? I got good grades at school but decided to join the army instead of going to uni, I used my experience in the Army and my good school grades to land myself a pretty decent job. However I feel a lot of pressure to go and get my degree because most of my freinds and peers have theirs and in todays society it is almost expected that you have a degree. I look at a lot of my freinds who have degrees and I would say 70% of them have done nothing with them and it makes me wonder " why all this expectation"?
    Is the fact we are almsot forcing out kids to go to college playing a big factor in our ineffective workforce and is it costing us thousands of blue collar jobs? Obviously for some professions you need the degree doctor etc, but are the rest of us going to college for all the wrong reasons?
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Higgins86; 10-31-11 at 11:07 PM.

  2. #2
    User NaturallyChill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    11-19-12 @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    24

    Re: Higher Education?

    I want to go to college. I want the experience, the maturity that I'll hopefully gain from going. I'm not ready to live on my own yet, and I'm not ready to be completely financially responsible. I also want to be an Engineer, so going to school will be helpful for that lol
    Four legs good, two legs bad

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: Higher Education?

    Interesting that you fail to mention what either you or your wife are majoring in and that you are feeling pressure from your friends and peers. My thoughts are that you go to college for two reasons. To acquire skills that others may find desirable, and therefore you are in demand, or you go to school to learn things you want to learn. The two may or may not be mutually compatible. One of the Occupy Richmond protestors was interviewed and her complaint was that she had graduated college and could not find a job. Her major, Women's studies. OHTH, if you acquire skills in an in demand field, it will most certainly help and may be a requirement. There are still jobs out there where starting pay is in the high five figures and up.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Higher Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Interesting that you fail to mention what either you or your wife are majoring in and that you are feeling pressure from your friends and peers. My thoughts are that you go to college for two reasons. To acquire skills that others may find desirable, and therefore you are in demand, or you go to school to learn things you want to learn. The two may or may not be mutually compatible. One of the Occupy Richmond protestors was interviewed and her complaint was that she had graduated college and could not find a job. Her major, Women's studies. OHTH, if you acquire skills in an in demand field, it will most certainly help and may be a requirement. There are still jobs out there where starting pay is in the high five figures and up.
    im not not in college, my wife is majoring in intelligence studies. You cant learn things you want to learn by reading books?
    Last edited by Higgins86; 10-31-11 at 11:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Higher Education?

    having at least a BA in something, seems to be the minimum requirement for most non-manual jobs in the USA.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Higher Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    having at least a BA in something, seems to be the minimum requirement for most non-manual jobs in the USA.

    but is that right? Why go and spend 4 years studying history ( for example) and then sit in an office selling insurance for the next years.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Higher Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    but is that right? Why go and spend 4 years studying history ( for example) and then sit in an office selling insurance for the next years.
    right? what does this have to do with morality?

    for many people, having a college degree means that someone is minimally intelligent. and many folks want a minimal amount of intelligence for their workforce.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Higher Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    right? what does this have to do with morality?

    for many people, having a college degree means that someone is minimally intelligent. and many folks want a minimal amount of intelligence for their workforce.

    I think 30 years ago a degree showed intelligence but now with all the community colleges and onlince classes its far to easy to get one to be deemed a sign of intelligence.

  9. #9
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Higher Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    im not not in college, my wife is majoring in intelligence studies. You cant learn things you want to learn by reading books?
    You CAN learn things from reading books...but good luck convincing your first employer of that, unless it's in a field where your skills are easily demonstrable (e.g. web developing). The bachelor's degree is evidence to many employers that you actually learned what you claim you learned, and that you had the perseverance/intelligence to stick it out for four years.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #10
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Higher Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    but is that right? Why go and spend 4 years studying history ( for example) and then sit in an office selling insurance for the next years.
    I can tell you that the postal service does not require college degrees to be successful. The district manager of the Cincinnati District has 13,000 people working under her and she is an immigrant with no degree. IN fact some of the top executives in the area don't have college.

    now that is not rule for most management positions but the USPS gives lots of preferences to veterans though I believe you noted you served in the UK?



Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •