View Poll Results: How many hours do you work a week?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't work

    7 10.45%
  • Work part-time (16-32)

    7 10.45%
  • Work a straight 40

    13 19.40%
  • Work 40-60

    28 41.79%
  • Work 60-70+

    12 17.91%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: How many hours do you work a week?

  1. #31
    Student Boring Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago Suburb
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Full time student (19 credit hours).
    I work 20 hours every 2 weeks at a local coffee shop, 6 one week and 14 the next.

  2. #32
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I am just curious, because a lot of times I tend to want to side with the conservatives on here because seems like a lot of you are just bitching because you have to actually work a lot to make a lot of money so...how many hours do you work on average a week?

    I normally work about 60 hours a week. Lowest is 48, most is around 72. I have a baby daughter to take care of as well. I also do design and writing work here and there on contract on the side. I sleep like 4-5 hours a night. I am obviously Democrat. I support some of the ideas of OWS but as a whole think it's counter-productive (or not productive at all). Just trying to get a feel for how you all are...
    It depends on the time of the year.

    I'm expected to work a straight 40 hour work week for most of the year, but that can get as high as over 72 hours a week when we're really busy. Another thing is that, quite often, I also have to work 6 or 7 days a week, which is what I really think sucks. Nothing can be done about it, though.

    Also, when I'm not tired, I busy myself by dabbling with writing here and there. That pretty much consists of my entire day for the most part.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #33
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    varies wildly. some weeks, I work 100 hour plus. I'm not going to lie - those weeks suck. some weeks, not nearly so much. right now, for example, i'm at a "planning conference", and getting put up at a nice hotel for about 8 hours of work a day (that I am required to put in - I do more because A) i'm slightly obsessive and B) i have little else to do but read and pt).

  4. #34
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    None - I'm retired. I do volunteer work and help grandkids with there kids.
    I don't want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was wedding between the religious fundamentalists and political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it. ~ Billy Graham in Parade magazine February 1, 1981.

  5. #35
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,356

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    I work constantly, it seems. If I'm not in my classroom on the weekends, I'm looking up different things online, finding new ideas for lesson plans, researching literacy programs, shopping for things for my students and/or classroom, etc.


  6. #36
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Good heavens - we're busy people.
    But yet - have the time to spend together as the coolest group of debaters around.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I am just curious, because a lot of times I tend to want to side with the conservatives on here because seems like a lot of you are just bitching because you have to actually work a lot to make a lot of money so...how many hours do you work on average a week?
    I work a lot (one full-time job and a part-time job with damn near full-time hours). I average between 60-74 hours a week. As a conservative, I don't bitch about it because it's what I choose to do. I don't need the extra income from the 2nd job to survive, but it's nice to have the extra money. Your argument here is flawed, but I'll get to that later on.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I normally work about 60 hours a week. Lowest is 48, most is around 72. I have a baby daughter to take care of as well. I also do design and writing work here and there on contract on the side. I sleep like 4-5 hours a night. I am obviously Democrat. I support some of the ideas of OWS but as a whole think it's counter-productive (or not productive at all). Just trying to get a feel for how you all are...
    The (Tea Party) conservatives and the OWS crowd have a few things in common, and in other areas they couldn't be further apart. For example, both are pissed off about bailing out Wall Street, but there are so many differences between the two that it's not even funny.

    It seems to me that you are confusing conservatives with what the media paints conservatives out to be. Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, fiscal responsibility, smaller government and freedom. The OWS crowd doesn't believe in personal responsibility, doesn't believe in fiscal responsibility (at least not anywhere close to the same level that conservatives do), doesn't believe in a smaller government and they hate freedom. OWS is all over the map politically, philosophically and everywhere else.

    As for your argument that conservatives are bitching because they have to work a lot to make a lot, I call bull****. True conservatives understand that it is our responsibility to take care of ourselves and our family. Times are tough right now, for everyone, but I'm not waiting on the government (at least not this administration) to do anything even remotely close to helping the economy. The mess we are on now was created by our government. Our government stuck it's nose in private business (Fanny & Freddie), has practiced crony-capitalism for years and years and has spent recklessly for decades. Why would I expect our current government to do anything to fix that when all they have done is add to it?

    To sum it all up, I work to take care of me and my family. I chose the profession that I'm in and I like what I do. But until the economy turns around and the proper steps are put into place to aid in that recovery, I do what I have to do. I may complain about being tired and missing time with my family, but it's because of them that I do what I do. If I didn't love them and didn't care, I'd probably be a loony liberal camped out in a tent occupying something other than a job.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  8. #38
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    I work a lot (one full-time job and a part-time job with damn near full-time hours). I average between 60-74 hours a week. As a conservative, I don't bitch about it because it's what I choose to do. I don't need the extra income from the 2nd job to survive, but it's nice to have the extra money. Your argument here is flawed, but I'll get to that later on.


    The (Tea Party) conservatives and the OWS crowd have a few things in common, and in other areas they couldn't be further apart. For example, both are pissed off about bailing out Wall Street, but there are so many differences between the two that it's not even funny.

    It seems to me that you are confusing conservatives with what the media paints conservatives out to be. Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, fiscal responsibility, smaller government and freedom. The OWS crowd doesn't believe in personal responsibility, doesn't believe in fiscal responsibility (at least not anywhere close to the same level that conservatives do), doesn't believe in a smaller government and they hate freedom. OWS is all over the map politically, philosophically and everywhere else.

    As for your argument that conservatives are bitching because they have to work a lot to make a lot, I call bull****. True conservatives understand that it is our responsibility to take care of ourselves and our family. Times are tough right now, for everyone, but I'm not waiting on the government (at least not this administration) to do anything even remotely close to helping the economy. The mess we are on now was created by our government. Our government stuck it's nose in private business (Fanny & Freddie), has practiced crony-capitalism for years and years and has spent recklessly for decades. Why would I expect our current government to do anything to fix that when all they have done is add to it?

    To sum it all up, I work to take care of me and my family. I chose the profession that I'm in and I like what I do. But until the economy turns around and the proper steps are put into place to aid in that recovery, I do what I have to do. I may complain about being tired and missing time with my family, but it's because of them that I do what I do. If I didn't love them and didn't care, I'd probably be a loony liberal camped out in a tent occupying something other than a job.
    No I don't confuse either. I understand both are mad at Wall Street for different reasons, and I understand that both in their own ways fuel and direct the conversation as well as have a deep impact on politicians. My argument isn't towards the conservatives on the board; it is towards the liberals and democrats that seem to blindly support OWS. I am a democrat 100%. But beyond that, I am a normal person, that knows politics or not, you can't get anywhere in life just sitting on your ass and only working 32 hours a week especially if you have a family. My comments are directed towards those types that seem to believe that honest hard work is a bad thing. Someone in here posted something by a stockbroker about doing what it takes to win, and if the OWS movement took the food off their plate, they would do everything to take theirs. I 100% respect that more than any of these "I am the 99%" boo-hoo place card pictures that these people are posting on Twitter with their iPhones, that they and all 5 of their family members have (even their little kids in middle school because their assholes and give $600 phones to ****ing kids) that they pay $200+ a month to have, that they pay with for their credit card, while wondering why they can't afford to send their daughter to college.

    On the flip side I think much of what the Tea Party stands for is totally misguided as well, and totally shows when the government starts talking about ****ing with Social Security and Medicare. My hope, is that both of these extremes will eventually force our two incredibly divided parties to realize they need to start working together again someday, and they both served a true purpose.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  9. #39
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coin View Post
    I work at a department store, 8 hours per day and 1 day off at week.

    So, 64 hours per week.
    8 x 6 =48..............
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #40
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How many hours do you work a week?

    Depends on your definition of work.

    I work for pay a total of about 16 hours a month approx. 11 months a year, plus about 40 hours a week for 3 - 4 weeks straight out of the year.

    The rest of the time, I am a SAHM, so I am basically on call for my kids and/or doing housework, but I do have help from my brother. I will be helping out monetarily though starting next month just by going to school.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •