View Poll Results: Is it irrational/bigoted to have a slight wariness of Muslims?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 52.94%
  • No

    8 47.06%
  • Not sure

    0 0%
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 194

Thread: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    its a simple fact that if you feel a bit of fear & suspision whenever you come across a Muslim, or a Jew, or a black person...then you are reacting to irrational & paranoid beliefs about individuals that deserve the benefit of the doubt.

    we all have fears & prejudices. the issue is how you ACT on them and how you TREAT people.

    I would be very...very offended if someone was suspicious of me simply due to the crimes of Bernie Madoff, and I would call them an anti-Semitic bigot.
    Of course you would. You're you.

    Do you trust all:

    ~ Hillbillies?
    ~ Rightwingers?
    ~ Gun rights activists?
    ~ Anti-abortionists?
    ~ Tea Partiers?
    ~ The Religious Right?
    ~ Christians?

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I simply won't give 100% trust in groups of people. Same with government. If it makes me a bigot for mistrusting Muslims a bit, just as I mistrust any group from religion to politics, then I don't care because they're delusional....
    you are saying that someone is delusional for criticising you for having a prejudiced distrust for Muslims?

    how are they delusional?

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Of course you would. You're you....
    is this supposed to be a veiled personal attack? please explain yourself.

  4. #74
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Well, apparently, I've been told by at least 6 people among various forums that I'm irrational for not having complete trust, thus why I am a bit annoyed with this crap.

    In this very thread I'm told I'm irrational for having even an indiscernable bit of non-trust of Muslims. Either you have complete trust, or you're deemd irrational for having even .000000000001% mistrust.
    First of all, no one cares what you've seen, heard, written or done on facebook, myspace, twitter, other forums and the ****ing moon, what matters is what you say here.

    Second. This is why people get frustrated with you, you are utterly incapable of grasping even the most basic of ideas and rebuttals against your very weak arguments, and when you get skewered you often times turn it into an immediate "I'm a victim" situation and that means you lost the game.

    Thirdly mistrust is mistrust. I mistrust almost everyone to a certain extent... but why? Because they're human beings and human beings often have an agenda and a self interest that is not the same as mine and if they can screw me for an extra dollar or to get ahead, they just might if I give them that chance.

    And it's a free country, if you wanna dislike muslims, be my guest, and if I wanna diss you for disliking muslims because you think they're inherently terrorist sympathisers then that's my right too.

    My point has and will always be the same on this subject of the irrational fear of muslims.

    There's a fine line between Prejudice, discrimination and finally persecution. And those lines are not as far apart as you might think. We need to be more careful of what we say and the actions we take against our fellow man no matter what religion they may be, for in the end, if we build a culture of fear against a certain people in our country that ought to be free citizens, the guilty ones won't be us, it'll be our children or our grandchildren.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    you are saying that someone is delusional for criticising you for having a prejudiced distrust for Muslims?

    how are they delusional?
    See? You keep twisting my words. Why?

    I said I think it is delusional to have to have complete---%100---trust in a whole group of people.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Of course you would. You're you.

    Do you trust all:

    ~ Hillbillies?
    ~ Rightwingers?
    ~ Gun rights activists?
    ~ Anti-abortionists?
    ~ Tea Partiers?
    ~ The Religious Right?
    ~ Christians?
    Not trusting the entirety of a group is not evidence of distrusting someone because they are in the group.

    I doubt I'd trust ever rightwinger, pro-lifer, etc., but my distrust would be because of their individuality NOT because of the group they belong to. There is NO rational reason to distrust Muslims because they are Muslim.

  7. #77
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I said I think it is delusional to have to have complete---%100---trust in a whole group of people.
    The delicious irony is you are making one of my favorite arguments against the people who wrote and compiled the books of the Bible. Please continue to talk about how it is delusional to have 100% trust in a group of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    ...There is NO rational reason to distrust Muslims because they are Muslim.
    I am wary of people based on their actions, their speech, and sometimes their dress.

    If I see a skinhead Nazi walking down the street, damn right I'm gonna be a little worried.

    But someone wearing a Kufi or some other piece of Muslim garb, or Jewish garb, or Mormom garb, or Mennonite garb? there is no logical, rational, nor intelligent reason to be suspicious of them.

  9. #79
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    There are some liberals in this world who would say, right after 9/11, that you must forget and better not be afraid or wary. They have no comprehension of the pain inflicted during such events.
    really? which liberals said this?

    that aside, no, it's not irrational or weak minded to NOT fear muslims. some m,uslims commit horrible crimes. some whites commit horrible crimes. do we have to fear everyone? i don't think so. i think being aware is fine, but fear? i don't want to live my life in fear.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    See? You keep twisting my words. Why?....
    I read your OP. I read how you think we should all have a minimum amount of distrust for Muslims, due to 9-11. That is irrational and bigoted.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •