View Poll Results: Is it irrational/bigoted to have a slight wariness of Muslims?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 52.94%
  • No

    8 47.06%
  • Not sure

    0 0%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 194

Thread: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    My question is pretty simple and straight-forward. We ALL know there have been many terrorist attacks on American soil. Is it irrational/weak-minded/stupid to not even have a slight fear/vigilance about Muslims in America?
    You should be wary of people who act suspicious. They come in all religions, races, nationalities and so on.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    ...I think you are taking the criticism that some people have for those who have a skewed mistrust of Muslims and you are exaggerating it into a strawman that those people are arguing that people have to have a 100% trust of Muslims. Nobody is making that argument.
    I don't distrust anyone simply due to their religion.



    Should ALL Muslims you meet on the street be given the full benefit of the doubt? yes, 100%.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It would be irrational to have 100% trust in any group. I don't know of anyone who has made that argument.

    Could you provide an example of someone saying you should have a 100% trust in any group of people? I think you are taking the criticism that some people have for those who have a skewed mistrust of Muslims and you are exaggerating it into a strawman that those people are arguing that people have to have a 100% trust of Muslims. Nobody is making that argument.
    Well, apparently, I've been told by at least 6 people among various forums that I'm irrational for not having complete trust, thus why I am a bit annoyed with this crap.

    In this very thread I'm told I'm irrational for having even an indiscernable bit of non-trust of Muslims. Either you have complete trust, or you're deemd irrational for having even .000000000001% mistrust.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You should be wary of people who act suspicious. They come in all religions, races, nationalities and so on.
    Exactly. I have very slight mistrust of all groups. However, that makes me irrational. "/

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Exactly. I have very slight mistrust of all groups. However, that makes me irrational. "/
    No, I'm saying you distrust individuals who act suspicious. It doesn't make sense to me to distrust groups unless those groups are gangs and terrorist organizations.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    To be fair, I can't really criticize you for distrusting Muslims, because I definitely distrust all Scientologists.

  7. #67
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't distrust anyone simply due to their religion.
    Well then we are different. I mistrust everyone because of their religion or lack of religion. Everyone has a worldview and that is going to lead them to behave in a certain way in which I may not agree, particularly if it affects me.

    Should ALL Muslims you meet on the street be given the full benefit of the doubt? yes, 100%.
    If you are realistic, you don't believe anything good or bad about an individual until you know them. The idiom "benefit of the doubt" generally means you believe someone's intentions are good rather than bad. I don't believe in giving anyone the "benefit of the doubt" or being "wary" of someone just because of their religious beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Well, apparently, I've been told by at least 6 people among various forums that I'm irrational for not having complete trust, thus why I am a bit annoyed with this crap....
    its a simple fact that if you feel a bit of fear & suspision whenever you come across a Muslim, or a Jew, or a black person...then you are reacting to irrational & paranoid beliefs about individuals that deserve the benefit of the doubt.

    we all have fears & prejudices. the issue is how you ACT on them and how you TREAT people.

    I would be very...very offended if someone was suspicious of me simply due to the crimes of Bernie Madoff, and I would call them an anti-Semitic bigot.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    I simply won't give 100% trust in groups of people. Same with government. If it makes me a bigot for mistrusting Muslims a bit, just as I mistrust any group from religion to politics, then I don't care because they're delusional.


  10. #70
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Well, apparently, I've been told by at least 6 people among various forums that I'm irrational for not having complete trust, thus why I am a bit annoyed with this crap.

    In this very thread I'm told I'm irrational for having even an indiscernable bit of non-trust of Muslims. Either you have complete trust, or you're deemd irrational for having even .000000000001% mistrust.
    Anyone who would make that argument is irrational.

    However, I suspect your wariness of Muslims far outweighs your wariness of Christians and members of other groups who are actually far more of a threat to you and your family, and it is that skewed mistrust that people are picking up on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •