View Poll Results: Is it irrational/bigoted to have a slight wariness of Muslims?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 52.94%
  • No

    8 47.06%
  • Not sure

    0 0%
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 194

Thread: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ...to your irrational belief that it is not reasonable to not trust a group 100%.
    I am talking about trusting individual members of a group, not the group itself.

    how is such a belief "irrational"?

    let's not go redefining terms, please.
    Last edited by Thunder; 10-31-11 at 05:44 PM.

  2. #162
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Moderator's Warning:
    The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?This isn't a discussion of Political Correctness, and the back handed attempts to bait through insults after my last warning isn't koesher. I suggest this kind of pointless, off topic post used only to try and degrade in a transparent ambiguous way stop now. LAST warning.

  3. #163
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I am talking about trusting individual members of a group, not the group itself.

    how is such a belief "irrational"?

    let's not go redefining terms, please.
    Its irrational to suggest that it is somehow wrong to not abjectly trust EVERY individual that makes up a group until given specific reason not to, because there is clear and unquestionable proof that there are untrustworthy individuals in this world. So its perfectly rational not to trust anyone 100% since there is a legitimate possability that they are not trustworthy.

    It is irrational to distrust Muslims due to 9/11 and other terrorist attacks.

    Additionally, it is irrational to trust any individual muslim 100% immedietely upon meeting. That is because its irrational to 100% trust ANY individual 100% immedietely upon meeting them. ANYONE is capable of doing something that is bad, so trusting them fully and completely in an absolute way until they actively do something bad is irrational.

    As I said, to suggest that would be the case would mean that if someone walked up and asked you for $10,000 because they need it to save their life you would need to give it to them because you should be absolutely trusting that they're being honest. Or that if someone walked up and gave you something to eat and said "You have to taste this, it is the most amazing food ever" you would have to eat it because you should trust them completely and utterly. This is an entirely irrational view to hold.

  4. #164
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    I would say vigilence of Muslims is overkill. You're better off double checking both ways before you cross the road or stop talking on a cell phone. Your cell phone has a better chance of causing your death than a Muslim.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #165
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Absolutely not if you are talking about Shiites. It is the height of ignorance not to be wary of anyone who is a sworn enemy by edict.

    Shiites can never be trusted because they are told from early on they may lie, cheat, steal, or do what ever they must to to put the infidels at ease so they may slit your throat when you least expect it.

  6. #166
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I would say vigilence of Muslims is overkill. You're better off double checking both ways before you cross the road or stop talking on a cell phone. Your cell phone has a better chance of causing your death than a Muslim.
    According to criminal statistics, you're much more likely to be a victim of a crime perpetrated by someone you know (friend, family member) than an average stranger. If we're talking about cold statistics, you're better served being paranoid about your family than about Muslims.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Zyphlin- you believe that folks that you have never met, are NOT deserving of the benefit of the doubt?

    I sure do. And there is nothing irrational about such a stance.

  8. #168
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Absolutely not if you are talking about Shiites. It is the height of ignorance not to be wary of anyone who is a sworn enemy by edict.

    Shiites can never be trusted because they are told from early on they may lie, cheat, steal, or do what ever they must to to put the infidels at ease so they may slit your throat when you least expect it.
    This is idiotic. I'm not sure why you keep on singling out Shi'ites. Osama bin Laden and most of Al Qaeda certainly aren't Shi'ites.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #169
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    According to criminal statistics, you're much more likely to be a victim of a crime perpetrated by someone you know (friend, family member) than an average stranger. If we're talking about cold statistics, you're better served being paranoid about your family than about Muslims.
    Very true.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ...So its perfectly rational not to trust anyone 100% since there is a legitimate possability that they are not trustworthy....
    I give folks the benefit of the doubt. If you want to call that "trusting someone 100%", which I believe is a mild strawman, go ahead.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •