View Poll Results: Is it irrational/bigoted to have a slight wariness of Muslims?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 52.94%
  • No

    8 47.06%
  • Not sure

    0 0%
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 194

Thread: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ...Its just not rational to distrust them to a larger degree simply because of 9/11....
    or any other terrorist attacks committed by Muslims.

    I am glad we agree.

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    not weary, that's means tired. wary.
    oops. thanks.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    Another terrorist attack in the US is more than likely going to be committed by a Muslim, so excuse me for not being politically correct because I don't want to get blown up by some jihadist.
    Has it ever occurred to you that people's arguments actually have merit and they aren't just "political correctness"?

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Has it ever occurred to you that people's arguments actually have merit and they aren't just "political correctness"?
    calling comments "politically correct" is just a way of disregarding and hand-waving away views one does not agree with.

  5. #155
    Educator Coin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albania
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    907

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Muslims died on 9/11's attack. So, it is not a war of entire muslim world.

    The word "terrorism" is politically and emotionally charged. It has been practiced by both right-wing and left-wing political parties, nationalistic groups, religious groups, revolutionaries, and ruling governments. terrorism has no universally agreed, legally binding, criminal law definition.

    A muslim man with a big beard, wearing a bag into his shoulder will always look with suspicion by some americans but not all of them will see him like that.
    I mostly believe that word "terrorism" is being used so much in USA that it had been attached to mentality of some people. If you have fear from muslims, it is just into your mentality imo.
    9/11 is close to a terrorism attack, but it's even close to a foreign strike/attack far away from a terrorist attack.

    Terrorism is used to make fear, besides the tools this world have to fight it, another way to fight against it is by your mentality and human feelings.

    Albania's people are muslim but they are not a threat for USA (politicians by both sides are too much co-operative together). Why does an Albanian muslim isn't consider on same way with an Afghan muslim? I still count on my opinion that this has to do with the mentality.
    Envidia te mata !!!

    The blind leading the blind !!!


  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    calling comments "politically correct" is just a way of disregarding and hand-waving away views one does not agree with.
    I agree. It's also a way to rationalize one's own disrespect.

  7. #157
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,984

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I humbly disagree.
    And I humbly submit that is your opinion, not a universal truth, and I disagree completely.

    Everyone doesn't know everyone elses deed's, behaviors, or records. As such, it is every individuals choice in my opinion to decide, for themselves, what their default opinion of a person is going.

    I said nothing about religion, you said that. A religion doens't make someone special, a religion doesn't make someone instantly trustable or non-trustable.

    I understand YOU feel that everyone should be immedietely trusted 100% until given reason not to. I simply submit that such is not a right, but rather a bonus if someone feels that way. I believe its just as reasonable for someone to distrust every 100% until given reason to do otherwise...or to even simply be wary and neutral to someone until given reason to act otherwise.

    Indeed, it appears you feel that people should not be free to choose what their default, standard, across the board reaction to a new individual is but rather that you believe they should be forced to trust everyone until that someone does something you deem as worthy of not being trusted.

  8. #158
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    calling comments "politically correct" is just a way of disregarding and hand-waving away views one does not agree with.
    Generally it's used to dismiss an argument out of hand without actually using one's brain. There are cases of political correctness out there, but there's all too many cases where folks out there dismiss something as "political correctness" simply because they're intellectually lazy.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,984

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    or any other terrorist attacks committed by Muslims.

    I am glad we agree.
    On that singular point, yes.

    On just about everything else you've said, from your illogical world view in regards to trust (one in which if someone walked up to you and gvae you something to eat and said "try this it's good" you would be beholden to trust the mbecause they have the "right" to be trusted) to your irrational belief that it is not reasonable to not trust a group 100%.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Generally it's used to dismiss an argument out of hand without actually using one's brain. There are cases of political correctness out there, but there's all too many cases where folks out there dismiss something as "political correctness" simply because they're intellectually lazy.
    indeed, too often the accusation of "political correctness" is just used when someone is too fatigued, lazy, or disinterested to actually come up with a viable argument.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •