View Poll Results: Is it irrational/bigoted to have a slight wariness of Muslims?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 52.94%
  • No

    8 47.06%
  • Not sure

    0 0%
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 194

Thread: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

  1. #131
    Student Whoppletraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-25-13 @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    264

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Another terrorist attack in the US is more than likely going to be committed by a Muslim, so excuse me for not being politically correct because I don't want to get blown up by some jihadist.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    u should give them the benefit of the doubt.
    This is opinion, and one I frankly disagree with. It is just as reasonble and rational to treat everyone with doubt until they've proven they're worthy of trust rather than the other way around. How one lives in that regard is entirely based on opinion and which is better is completely opinion based.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    Another terrorist attack in the US is more than likely going to be committed by a Muslim, so excuse me for not being politically correct because I don't want to get blown up by some jihadist.
    ah, so you too wish to justify irrational prejudice against millions of Muslim-Americans, due to the actions of 19 NON-AMERICAN Muslims.

    its amazing the lengths people will go to justify their hatred.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You are not irrational for not having complete trust. Actually, its rather irrational to completely trust any group 100%.

    What is irrational is to distrust a group more than you distrust a similar group simply due to an action perpetrated by a small minority of the first group...an action that is also at times present in those other similar groups as well.

    For example, using the example YOU chose to use in your OP, its not irrational to not be fully trusting of all muslims. It is however irrational to distrust Muslims more than Christians, or Jews, or Athiests, because some have killed a lot of people.

    Now, because something is irratoinal doesn't mean its not understandable.

    Lets say you go to pet a dog and he immedietely bites you. It is irrational to be wary when trying to pet any dog after that because they may bite you, because by and large most dogs are not going to respond by biting you the moment you try to pet them. Its irrational to apply the actions of that one dog to ALL dogs through your actions. However, it is understandable that you are wary in the immediete aftermath because of the trauma of the incident.

    It is even MORE irrational if you're wary of petting dogs after that point, but you're not wary when petting cats, snakes, or other pets that can bite.

    It is entirely possible for an action to be both understandable and reasonable, while at the same time being illogical and irrational.

    Its not irrational that you don't trust Muslims 100%. Its irrational that you distrust all of them to a greater degree because of terrorist attacks. However, due to the traumatic nature of the 9/11 attacks, I would say that such an irrational fear is also an understandable one.
    I add that there is no "greater degree." The same goes for Christians/political groups/other religions/etc.

    I am sick of people baiting/distorting what I say. You want the truth? That is the truth. He continually baits/distorts what I say.

  5. #135
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    Another terrorist attack in the US is more than likely going to be committed by a Muslim, so excuse me for not being politically correct because I don't want to get blown up by some jihadist.
    I would likely agree that the next major terrorist attack on the country would likely be commited by a Muslim.

    "Terrorist attack" as a generic thing, I think it'd be hard to say that its most likely to be commmitted by a Muslim. For example, there was apparently plans for someone to throw a bomb into the OWS people recently. That would've been a terrorist attack. Actions by an animal activist group that harms people or property can be a terrorist attack and is somewhat common and not muslim. Just a terrorist attack, of any size, I think is difficult to say will likely occur by a Muslim. Its possible, but no more likely than others I think.

    I would say however its most likely that the next say, 50 deaths, that occur in America will be perpetrated by a person who identifies as Christian. I however am not any more wary of Christians due to that fact than I am anyone else.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ...I would say however its most likely that the next say, 50 deaths, that occur in America will be perpetrated by a person who identifies as Christian. I however am not any more wary of Christians due to that fact than I am anyone else.
    most of the major-casualty events in this country over the last 10 years, have been committed by Christians, NOT Muslims.

    does this mean we should be fearful of Christians? certainly not.

  7. #137
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    Another terrorist attack in the US is more than likely going to be committed by a Muslim, so excuse me for not being politically correct because I don't want to get blown up by some jihadist.
    As was pointed out in another thread, you're more likely to die in a car accident than a jihadist attack. Are you more afraid of Muslims than you are of sitting in a car?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Moderator's Warning:
    The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?Enough of this basement level rhetoric and attempts to play mod.

    Think someone is baiting or trolling...REPORT THEM. If I see another accusation of it in thread by anyone they're getting points.

    At this point in this thread, lienency is also going away. The borderline baiting comments regarding people being or having "hatred", "bigotry", or other such statements stop. If you can't make your argument without making accusations of a personal nature about what a person feels and attempting to present your opinion of what that person thinks as some kind of fact I suggest you remove yourself from the thread, because if it continues you will be forcefully removed and given points.

    Now get on topic and focus on the topic, let mods do the modding, and be civil

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    As was pointed out in another thread, you're more likely to die in a car accident than a jihadist attack. Are you more afraid of Muslims than you are of sitting in a car?
    Traumatic situations affect people in irrational ways. 9/11, arguably, was one of the most traumatic national events in this countries history and affected multiple people.

    Its not uncommon for someone who has recently witnessed a nasty car crash to be wary of getting in a car. I know from personal experience I had a significant irrational fear of riding my Motorcycle for some time after experiencing a motorcycle crash and again later after hearing about a really really bad one.

    Is it irrational to be more scared or worried about a Jihadist attack than a car accident? Yes, absolutely. Is it relatively understandable? IMHO yes. People drive every day and could NEVER significantly interact with a car accident in their entire lives. People alive and watching 9/11 however could very easily have been traumatized by that event and their psyche significant affected. Their irrational fear is just that, irrational, but I think its a bit irrational also not to be able to understand how some may feel that way.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The Irrationality of Vigilant Wisdom?

    Its very clear guys: 9-11 was committed by 19 Muslims who were NOT American citizens.

    Muslims died in the towers. They have fought for us on the battlefields of Iraq & Afghanistan.

    There is no logical nor rational reason to be wary or suspicious of Muslim-Americans.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •