View Poll Results: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, across the board.

    14 12.17%
  • Yes, for infrastructure.

    33 28.70%
  • Yes, for education. (K-12)

    21 18.26%
  • Yes, for job creation.

    19 16.52%
  • Yes, for social programs.

    15 13.04%
  • Yes, for medical care.

    26 22.61%
  • Yes, for the environment.

    19 16.52%
  • Yes, but... not for some particular programs (please elaborate).

    10 8.70%
  • No. None. Not for anything at all.

    63 54.78%
  • Undecided. Convince me either way.

    1 0.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 344

Thread: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

  1. #281
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Will someone please explain to me the logic behind giving a business, freedom of speech? [...]
    Money = power.

    Speech (advertising) can be bought with money. Enough advertising (money) can often buy an election.

    Corporations hold a huge amount of money (= political advertising). Thanks to the conservative majority of the Supreme Court, they now hold a huge amount of electoral power, which one can expect to be used mostly to put and keep conservatives in office (who are anti-worker, anti-social, and pro-deregulation).

    In summary, the logic is simple -- follow the money.

  2. #282
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Money = power.

    Speech (advertising) can be bought with money. Enough advertising (money) can often buy an election.

    Corporations hold a huge amount of money (= political advertising). Thanks to the conservative majority of the Supreme Court, they now hold a huge amount of electoral power, which one can expect to be used mostly to put and keep conservatives in office (who are anti-worker, anti-social, and pro-deregulation).

    In summary, the logic is simple -- follow the money.
    as opposed to the unions and the MSM?



  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as opposed to the unions and the MSM?
    Unions are considered "persons"?

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    which just goes to show you that even the Supreme Court of the USA, can be wrong.
    I totally agree.

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The problem can be traced to the 14th amendment, I have heard argued, and is basically a very tiny loophole that the Supreme Court has used to award corporate personhood:


    14th Amendment (section 1): All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.


    If, as I have heard it argued, the words "any natural person" had been used in place of "any person", corporations today would have no right of free speech.
    As corporations have no physical reality, they cannot speak or be prevented from speaking. Only real people can speak or be prevented from speaking. If you intend to stop a corporation from speaking, you must, in effect, be preventing some individual person from speaking.

  6. #286
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Will someone please explain to me the logic behind giving a business, freedom of speech?

    how about the ability of a businessman to drive his business into the ground, forcing the layoff of hundreds of employees, yet he faces no fiscal penalty?
    The same reason that unions and non-profits can have freedom of speech. We never hear you complain about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The same reason that unions and non-profits can have freedom of speech. We never hear you complain about that.
    Unions are also protected by free-speech laws?

  8. #288
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as opposed to the unions and the MSM?
    I disagree with the union provision of Citizens United as well.

    The MSM, including Fox, is something that all sides must contend with. However, at least they are transparent (i.e., not hiding behind a short-lived unknown PAC name).
    Last edited by Karl; 11-19-11 at 09:23 PM.

  9. #289
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I disagree with the union provision of Citizens United as well.

    The MSM, including Fox, is something that all sides must contend with. However, at least they are transparent (i.e., not hiding behind a short-lived unknown PAC name).
    where did congress get the power to limit how much anyone or anything spends money on including advocacy advertising?



  10. #290
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Are you willing to pay higher taxes, and if so, for what?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    where did congress get the power to limit how much anyone or anything spends money on including advocacy advertising?
    Just a sec.... Thomas Jefferson is taking a snooze right beside me, I'll wake him up and ask

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •