View Poll Results: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The poor should be banned from voting

    13 76.47%
  • The richest 10% should be banned from voting

    2 11.76%
  • The top 1% should be banned from voting

    1 5.88%
  • Only the middle class should be allowed to vote

    1 5.88%
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 401

Thread: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

  1. #281
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    See another issue I just noticed is people saying the "poor" voting based on what is in it for them, when a rich person would vote the same way for what is in it for them. There is no difference here because a person has to take into account that while that candidate may have their best interest in mind, that representative on local, state, or a federal level still has to come to a common agreement with enough representatives for their ideas to matter.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  2. #282
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,125

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    ALL democracy is the exercise of control over others. I smoke pot, which has been rendered illegal by our democracy. Atempting to control me by decree of the electorate.
    all government is indeed the exercise of control over others. that doesn't make "governing" a fundamental human right.

  3. #283
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,125

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    See another issue I just noticed is people saying the "poor" voting based on what is in it for them, when a rich person would vote the same way for what is in it for them. There is no difference here because a person has to take into account that while that candidate may have their best interest in mind, that representative on local, state, or a federal level still has to come to a common agreement with enough representatives for their ideas to matter.

    well it's a matter of incentive structure. I don't think you will find a single person on here making the "if you're on welfare you shouldn't be voting" argument unwilling to support getting government out of the business of picking winners and losers in the market.

  4. #284
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,125

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Wealth is not a protected class, thus your point matters not.

    Tax law is applied equally based on race, color, religion, national origin, age (over 40), sex, disability, and veteran status.

    There is no law being violated in progressive tax codes.

    And you could never really pass it, because it's not really people being taxed. It's income that is taxed.
    that's why we're gonna have to get a judge to do it instead . flat tax judicial activism, baby

  5. #285
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well it's a matter of incentive structure. I don't think you will find a single person on here making the "if you're on welfare you shouldn't be voting" argument unwilling to support getting government out of the business of picking winners and losers in the market.
    Right but ever single one of them want their taxes lowered and the poors taxes raised...also look at demographics. A minority of Americans voting could even be considered poor, and lets take it further--if a 19 year old kid working at McDonalds while in school should he not be able to vote? So a person is poor they still pay into Social Security, Medicare, and of course state and local taxes. What say you to that?
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  6. #286
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Everybody in this nation is dependent on the work of others. The idea that those on welfare are the only ones is preposterous.
    what you ignore is that there are those who trade for value or pay for what they use and those who do not. many like you pretend that people are rich because either the government somehow gave them money or that the rich "stole" it from other people rather than dealing with the reality that most rich people are rich because they traded something of value for money



  7. #287
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You miss the central point that when he asks you who this is he is asking to show that such people exist and how you identify them as such.
    \

    my point did not need such clarification



  8. #288
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I made nothing personal. That was you. Remember? You personally attacked me, and broke the Vegas Rule. I just happen to quote the post before you deleted it. There's no hurt feelings here. It's you with the personal problem.

    Secondly, I merely posed a question. Like I said, there are several states where the mentally retarded cannot vote. But it is good that you finally got around to answering the question with a half way intelligent response. However, someone who is mentally handicapped is not likely to be competent to vote. I have a mentally handicapped step brother. He is twelve, and he has the mentality of a six year old. By the time he is 18 and legally able to vote, he may have the mentality of a 12 year old. Do we want 12 year olds to vote? I don't. At the very least, instead of getting offended and bent out of shape, you could try to logically analyze this issue.
    Why do you wish to take away folks legal rights to vote? It was not long ago that folks felt the sameway about women and black folks voting that you feel about the mentally handicapped. I guess you probably feel they should not be able to live alone if able either too? Just lock em up and throw away the keys! Backwards thinking.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #289
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So much for any pretense or make believe that you actually believe in the US Constitution. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Your constant slurpage of the constitution when it suites you is as amusing of your rejection of the constitution when you dislike rulings based on it.

    THe constitution did not initially require that the dependents or those on the dole vote and the earth would not end if the constitution was interpreted to reinstate such limitations. Now we realize that such a rule would destroy the ability of the dems to win elections and we understand you would hate any set of rules that prevented those whose interest in government is how much the institution will give them from voting



  10. #290
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what you ignore is that there are those who trade for value or pay for what they use and those who do not.
    Oh. When did GE pay for the stuff it used that was created/maintained with federal tax money?

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •