View Poll Results: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The poor should be banned from voting

    13 76.47%
  • The richest 10% should be banned from voting

    2 11.76%
  • The top 1% should be banned from voting

    1 5.88%
  • Only the middle class should be allowed to vote

    1 5.88%
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 401

Thread: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Why-are you upset with the fact that some in this nation are dependent on the work of others
    Everybody in this nation is dependent on the work of others. The idea that those on welfare are the only ones is preposterous.

  2. #272
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Why-are you upset with the fact that some in this nation are dependent on the work of others when they could work themselves or are you mad that I pointe it out

    my point was not to discuss WHO is a lazy sloth but the fact is policies that coddle them did not allow us to achieve great things
    In other words, you're just amusing yourself by spewing rhetoric. Got it.

    It's hard to know what you're point is if you're comments are too broad. How can I or anyone else know exactly who it is you're talking about if you're not willing to be at least somewhat specific? Asking for clarification is not an unreasonable request.

  3. #273
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    A bit of a stretch? Do you deny that people generally elect those who best serve their perceived interests?
    Plenty of lower income people own property.


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What does this have to do with anything that I said? The only thing you've done is further explain your subjective opinion on what valid goals are to you. What on Earth makes you think that people should have to live your expectations? And what on Earth makes you think that everyone is capable of living up to those expectations?

    This is essentially what you're saying: "I believe a good citizen does X, so anybody who doesn't do X isn't a good citizen and shouldn't vote". Where X is some incredibly subjective judgment. Do you not see a problem with that line of thinking?
    It's not subjective. I'm not speaking about what is right and wrong in a moral sense, but rather how one is to succeed in this society. Savings, investment, property, etc. Sure, people can fritter their money away on consumer junk to fulfill their every whim, but they are not investing long term. People who are short sighted offer little to the political environment. In case you haven't noticed, those are the types of morons who are in control now. Hypothetically, people who think long term are more logical than those who do not. Just a thought.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #274
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,580

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Should the Poor not be allowed to vote
    Not if they're collecting welfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Why-are you upset with the fact that some in this nation are dependent on the work of others when they could work themselves or are you mad that I pointe it out

    my point was not to discuss WHO is a lazy sloth but the fact is policies that coddle them did not allow us to achieve great things
    You miss the central point that when he asks you who this is he is asking to show that such people exist and how you identify them as such.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #276
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not if they're collecting welfare.
    So much for any pretense or make believe that you actually believe in the US Constitution. Thanks for clarifying that.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #277
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,580

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So much for any pretense or make believe that you actually believe in the US Constitution. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Sure I do. Ever hear of the equal protection clause? Why am I exempt from the earned income credit, just because I'melf employed? So much for everyone being equal under the law, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Sure I do. Ever hear of the equal protection clause? Why am I exempt from the earned income credit, just because I'melf employed? So much for everyone being equal under the law, eh?
    Sure you don't since the US Constitution does not allow for poor people NOT being allowed to vote if they are on welfare. You have about as much respect for the Constitution as Sarah Palin had for her oath of office. And we know how much that was.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #279
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Sure I do. Ever hear of the equal protection clause? Why am I exempt from the earned income credit, just because I'melf employed? So much for everyone being equal under the law, eh?
    Wealth is not a protected class, thus your point matters not.

    Tax law is applied equally based on race, color, religion, national origin, age (over 40), sex, disability, and veteran status.

    There is no law being violated in progressive tax codes.

    And you could never really pass it, because it's not really people being taxed. It's income that is taxed.

    Once your income breaks the $388,351 threshold, that income is taxed at 35%. Doesn't matter who you are (well, as long as that income was earned through labor, and not through capital, that is).

    And your boss is an elf? Sorry, had to put that in there.

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Plenty of lower income people own property.
    What the hell does this have to do with my question? We cannot have a discussion if your responses have nothing to do with my questions.

    It's not subjective. I'm not speaking about what is right and wrong in a moral sense, but rather how one is to succeed in this society. Savings, investment, property, etc. Sure, people can fritter their money away on consumer junk to fulfill their every whim, but they are not investing long term. People who are short sighted offer little to the political environment. In case you haven't noticed, those are the types of morons who are in control now. Hypothetically, people who think long term are more logical than those who do not. Just a thought.
    I never said anything about right and wrong. I said your opinions are subjective...which they are. You're earlier opinions (which you seem to have abandoned, but which are nevertheless the opinions I have been critiquing) about what actions illustrate one who "has a stake in this country" and "has goals" are nothing more but subjective judgments.

    If your opinions are NOT subjective, then please provide objective evidence that owning property is the only legitimate measurement of "having a stake in the country" and "having goals".

Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •