View Poll Results: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The poor should be banned from voting

    13 76.47%
  • The richest 10% should be banned from voting

    2 11.76%
  • The top 1% should be banned from voting

    1 5.88%
  • Only the middle class should be allowed to vote

    1 5.88%
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 401

Thread: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

  1. #91
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,243

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why thank you Higgins. I am humbled by your praise.
    lol the founding fathers is a debate I have got into with many of my American friends and even my wife many times. but Im always looking for the right words and you have just wrote them down for me so thank you!

  2. #92
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    how is that extreme right? the founders didn't want those who had no skin in the game voting away the wealth of those who did
    Good lord, what a cliche. "The Founders wanted it this way." They also wanted slavery. Sorry, but many of them did. Has anybody ever considered that they were wrong, and that they're dead?

    Those with wealth have been voting higher taxes on those without for the entire history of the US. It's only "class warfare" when we do it though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Good lord, what a cliche. "The Founders wanted it this way." They also wanted slavery. Sorry, but many of them did. Has anybody ever considered that they were wrong, and that they're dead?

    Those with wealth have been voting higher taxes on those without for the entire history of the US. It's only "class warfare" when we do it though.
    indeed they have.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Or should the top 10% not be allowed to vote, since their money influences all politics. I laugh at certain forum posters who say that the poor shouldnt be allowed to vote because they only vote for who is going to give them something...that is one of the most disgustingly disengenuous statements ever uttered on this foru...because the RICH vote for who is going to give them something and they PAY them millions to do it for them in lobbiests cash and gifts to superpacs...its hypocrisy to the ooomph degree.
    one person, one vote, regardless if you are rich or poor, top 1%, bottom `10%, black, white, man or woman. the amount of money you make or have, or your lack thereof, don't make you special.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,243

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So by your logic so are the days of free speech, right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures without a warrant, the right to peacefully assemble and other rights are only for the world of 1787?
    no that is not what hen is saying! He is saying that you can't take everything the founders said as the gospel as they lived in a different world. Obviously some of the key points the founders made still hold true today but some need updated.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    If you pay taxes, then you should be able to vote.

    This is coming from an anarchist, but it is simple and common sense.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
    If you pay taxes, then you should be able to vote.

    This is coming from an anarchist, but it is simple and common sense.
    all Americans pay taxes.

  8. #98
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,496

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, I knew exactly what you meant, and I pointed out the fatal flaw in your argument resulting from your inconsistency.
    No flaw in my argument, the only flaw is your reasoning.

    Legal punishment for a crime is not even remotely the same thing as forcing someone to preform for a right that is guaranteed by our Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I am curious to know exactly which "fallacy" you feel I am guilty of.
    False Dilemma

    Attaching the word slavery to both situations does not make my argument invalid or inconsistent.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Oh, and something being legal does not automatically mean it is right or consistent. It just means it is legal.
    No one said it was, I said it was a right and therefore legal, not that it is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #99
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    no that is not what hen is saying! He is saying that you can't take everything the founders said as the gospel as they lived in a different world. Obviously some of the key points the founders made still hold true today but some need updated.

    If you are going to use they didn't have that back or the it was a different time argument to **** on the constitution or the ideas of the authors of our constitution then this applies to everything else in the constitution.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Should the Poor not be allowed to vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    all Americans pay taxes.
    I never claimed otherwise, did I?

    Unless you are Thoreau.

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •