View Poll Results: Does the government have the authority to separate Hitler from his parents?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the court made the right decision

    3 15.00%
  • No, this is a violation of the family's constitutional rights

    17 85.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

  1. #1
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,841
    Blog Entries
    8

    Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Baby Hitler Parents Lose Custody Of All Three Of Their Kids | Fox News

    Parents who named two of their children "Adolf Hitler" and "Aryan Nation" lost custody of all three of their children Thursday, even though they say a New Jersey appeals court found no evidence of abuse, ruling the children have been taken away without cause, MyFoxPhilly reports.

    “Actually, the judge and DYFS told us that there was no evidence of abuse and that it was the names. They were taken over the children's names,” Heath Campbell told NBC 10 Tuesday.
    You may have heard of this family before. They made headlines when a grocery store refused to decorate a cake with the words "Happy Birthday Hitler" on it. The parents have been accused of using their children as a publicity stunt, and a social experiment.

    Let's assume that there really is no evidence of abuse. Is naming one's child something like "Hitler" or "Aryan Nation," standing alone, a good enough reason to take the kid away? Is it a violation of the parents' rights to raise their children as they please, teach their children as they please, or their right to free speech?
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  2. #2
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    I think there are two questions here.

    1) Does the government have the authority to do this? I am not sure legally if they do or not, but based on the evidence that courts are upholding it, probably.

    2) Should the government have that authority? To my mind, the answer to this is a big no.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #3
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Based on the fact they do not like the child's name I say no. Our president's middle name is the last name of a former brutal middle eastern dictator and I do not see the government trying to kick him out of office over it.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #4
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,841
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    I think there may be an important distinction between (1) teaching children a particular political/social view, and (2) using your children as a political statement. I think there is a constitutional right to do the former, but not the latter. However, I'm not sure how easy it is to slide factual situations into one category or the other.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  5. #5
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Baby Hitler Parents Lose Custody Of All Three Of Their Kids | Fox News



    You may have heard of this family before. They made headlines when a grocery store refused to decorate a cake with the words "Happy Birthday Hitler" on it. The parents have been accused of using their children as a publicity stunt, and a social experiment.

    Let's assume that there really is no evidence of abuse. Is naming one's child something like "Hitler" or "Aryan Nation," standing alone, a good enough reason to take the kid away? Is it a violation of the parents' rights to raise their children as they please, teach their children as they please, or their right to free speech?
    In this case, I would say that the government has no authority to take away this man's children. This is a form of government enforced thought control, and I find the entire premise to be dangerous.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #6
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    I think the court is in the wrong here. As much as I disagree with the parents' beliefs, and as stupid as I think it is to name their kid Adolf Hitler, I still think they have the right to do it. I do think that the courts should be keeping a close eye on the family though, since they've shown a tendency to put their own beliefs ahead of their child's welfare. Unless there's evidence of abuse or neglect though, I don't think anyone has a right to take the kids away from them.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  7. #7
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    I don't disagree with overall concept that calling a child a certain name could potentially warrant government involvement. Calling your child "I hate niggers" in Oakland would run the risk of violent response, and would be justification for taking the child away. The real key is what the precise consequences of calling the kid Hitler in the community will be. Social persecution is pretty much inevitable, but that is not grounds enough. Only if the kid faces harm consistent with the standards for abuse as a result of the name, does the state have cause to interfere.

  8. #8
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    This is just wrong on so many levels. The government should not have this kind of authority, period.

    Sad and scary days. I guess the days of "liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are truly gone.

    Was nice while it lasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think there are two questions here.

    1) Does the government have the authority to do this? I am not sure legally if they do or not, but based on the evidence that courts are upholding it, probably.

    2) Should the government have that authority? To my mind, the answer to this is a big no.
    What Redress said, though I imagine that if this makes it to the Supreme Court...and sadly I hope it does...I think it'll be overturned because I can't really fathom how in our law this should be allowable.

    Its sad because I think the kids would likely be better off without these parents, but at the same time I think society as a whole is better served with the government not being able to take the children from the home.

  10. #10
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    If the names were placing the children in harms way or seriously interfering with their social development then such a case could meet the standard for abuse. However, immediately removing children is only done when the child is in eminent danger of severe harm or death and no less drastic option can protect the child. I seriously doubt this case was eminent danger.

    A second reason for removal is when a situation exist that is detrimental to child, the appropriate agency has offered help to remedy the situation and the caretakers have failed to improve. A judge normally reviews this type of case to determine if the legal conditions warrant removing the child. This is likely what happened in this case.

    A second possibility is that the CPS investigator messed up and thought this was eminent danger. Sometimes it is hard to discern borderline cases when you have a house full of adults and children screaming and possibly throwing things, spitting on you, etc. Been there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •