View Poll Results: Does the government have the authority to separate Hitler from his parents?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the court made the right decision

    3 15.00%
  • No, this is a violation of the family's constitutional rights

    17 85.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

  1. #21
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,436

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Baby Hitler Parents Lose Custody Of All Three Of Their Kids | Fox News



    You may have heard of this family before. They made headlines when a grocery store refused to decorate a cake with the words "Happy Birthday Hitler" on it. The parents have been accused of using their children as a publicity stunt, and a social experiment.

    Let's assume that there really is no evidence of abuse. Is naming one's child something like "Hitler" or "Aryan Nation," standing alone, a good enough reason to take the kid away? Is it a violation of the parents' rights to raise their children as they please, teach their children as they please, or their right to free speech?

    I think I saw the Dad on TV and he said he wasn't racist. He said something like... we have elected a black president now, so we should also be above getting offended by a simple name like Adolf Hitler. And it turns out he has another kid named Aryan Nation, bull ****ing **** he isn't racist.

  2. #22
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,436

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Based on the fact they do not like the child's name I say no. Our president's middle name is the last name of a former brutal middle eastern dictator and I do not see the government trying to kick him out of office over it.
    There is a difference... Obama wasn't named after Saddam Hussein. These kids were named after Adolf Hitler.

  3. #23
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,436

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think there are two questions here.

    1) Does the government have the authority to do this? I am not sure legally if they do or not, but based on the evidence that courts are upholding it, probably.

    2) Should the government have that authority? To my mind, the answer to this is a big no.
    In regards to number two, taking the kids away is an entirely different debate. I know it's the topic of the OP, but I'd just like to point out, in other countries it's illegal to name your children after Adolf Hitler or give them names that is humiliating or offensive. These names would be illegal in other countries, and could result in bullying and other social problems for these children. Also it's very sad that these children had to be born to such stupid parents.

  4. #24
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,436

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I think the court is in the wrong here. As much as I disagree with the parents' beliefs, and as stupid as I think it is to name their kid Adolf Hitler, I still think they have the right to do it. I do think that the courts should be keeping a close eye on the family though, since they've shown a tendency to put their own beliefs ahead of their child's welfare. Unless there's evidence of abuse or neglect though, I don't think anyone has a right to take the kids away from them.
    I don't agree with this whole concept of, let's allow people to name their children whatever they want. I do think that some names could be abusive and provoke shame and humiliation in children.

    What if somebody wants to name their kid Little Bastard or Dumbass or adopts a baby from Africa and name it Nigger?

    If my parents named me Aryan Nation, I'd ****ing change my name.. but I have to be 18 to legally do so first. I have gone through school with a name I already hate, but it's not as bad as Aryan Nation. It's was always on the class list... everybody sees it and calls me that name. It's hard to keep a name secret, even if you don't go by it.
    Last edited by SheWolf; 10-30-11 at 06:54 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,436

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is just wrong on so many levels. The government should not have this kind of authority, period.

    Sad and scary days. I guess the days of "liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are truly gone.

    Was nice while it lasted.
    What about the pursuit of happiness and freedom of these children? I don't think we should enjoy freedom at the expense of our children and I do honestly think that these children's names are going to create negative social situations for them. I am not sure if I really think these kids should be removed, I am leaning towards no... but I'd NEVER argue that the ability to name our children something socially humiliating for them is a symbol of our national freedom.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    "This is America, they say it's free, you have the right to name your child whatever you want to name your child, no matter what," Heath Campbell said.
    Sounds like the idiot who gets pulled over for DUI and starts screaming, "It's a free country! Show me where in the Bill of Consitution it says I can't drive drunk!"

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Hitler is a real name. Other people have it, not just the original Adolf that we all know of. Do a directory search and you will find Hitlers in the U.S.

    If they are taking away the children just because of the name, then that is an abuse of power and the courts need to become involved. Family services has too much power sometimes.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Do they have the authority? I don't know, I haven't a clue what the local laws on this might be. They might have the legal authority to do it if the people have allowed them to make such things illegal. Should they have the authority? Absolutely not. In fact, if there are local laws that make such things legal, those laws need to be changed immediately. If not, the people who did such need to be ousted from office and/or put in jail.

    That kind of thing should never be acceptable.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #29
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    What about the pursuit of happiness and freedom of these children? I don't think we should enjoy freedom at the expense of our children and I do honestly think that these children's names are going to create negative social situations for them. I am not sure if I really think these kids should be removed, I am leaning towards no... but I'd NEVER argue that the ability to name our children something socially humiliating for them is a symbol of our national freedom.
    When they turn 18, they are welcome to change their names to anything they want. There are all kinds of really stupid things people name their kids and nobody is taking those kids away from their parents.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #30
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Does the Government Have the Authority to Separate Hitler from his Parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Hitler is a real name. Other people have it, not just the original Adolf that we all know of. Do a directory search and you will find Hitlers in the U.S.

    If they are taking away the children just because of the name, then that is an abuse of power and the courts need to become involved. Family services has too much power sometimes.
    The child's name is "Adolf Hitler <whatever their last name is>". They definitely named him after Adolf Hitler, especially since one of their daughter's middle two names are "Aryan Nation".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •