View Poll Results: White Boy Drunk: Racist or Not?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 43.40%
  • No

    16 30.19%
  • Other/Explain

    3 5.66%
  • Lets Go Get White Boy Crazy!

    11 20.75%
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 419

Thread: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

  1. #351
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The racism had it's foundations in slavery and segregation, certainly, but it is perpetuated by ignorance.
    Ignorance of what?

    Further, the height of the light skin/dark skin thing has passed. Being light skinned myself, I experienced some of that animosity in my younger years, but can honestly say I've seen none of it in my adult years.
    I disagree with this. My mother was a public school teacher in a black neighborhood until last year for 39 years and according to her, the light/dark skin thing is still prevalent. I also worked with an all black group of kids a 2-3 years ago who were in high school and they literally talked about it every day. It might become less prevalent in adulthood as people mature, but in my experience is still pretty prevalent among younger people.

  2. #352
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    What makes you think that any still do?
    Because I know them. Not only have I worked with people who make these comments, but I also have black family members who talk about it (not frequently though). I've never seen it, but I'm pretty sure this is the exact issue Chris Rock explored in his documentary "Good Hair". It's something I'm pretty familiar with as a common topic of disagreement among blacks.

    Also, black people straightening their hair or whatever is not necessarily a sign of self-loathing and I've never said nor implied that so the implication that I have is unwarranted.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 10-27-11 at 12:28 AM.

  3. #353
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Ignorance of what?
    General ignorance...the same ignorance that makes stupid white people thing they are better than someone else because of the color of their skin. When you have nothing, anything is something.

    I disagree with this. My mother was a public school teacher in a black neighborhood until last year for 39 years and according to her, the light/dark skin thing is still prevalent. I also worked with an all black group of kids a 2-3 years ago who were in high school and they literally talked about it every day. It might become less prevalent in adulthood as people mature, but in my experience is still pretty prevalent among younger people.
    Well, with all due respect to your mother that worked in a black neighborhood....I am black, from a black neighborhood, and I volunteer tutor in predominately black schools now. It's prevalent (to a far lesser extent than when I was young) in younger kids for the same reasons that clothes and hairstyles are important. Appearance means everything to teens.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #354
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    There has always been a double standard in language between the races....black boy is a mortal sin and whiteboy terminology is acceptable speech.
    If were going to ever breach the racial gap....language has to be considered equally abhorrent whether its a black saying it or a white...its absurd to say its ok to say whiteboy whatever and OMG you cant say blackboy whatever.....the term cracker is used as negatively to describe whites outside of the south as the N word is....We need to stop all of it...not just half of it....
    Now did I take the statement in the original post as racist...no I didnt...but theres many times words directed at blacks are being usued without any raciist intent and get blown all out of whack....stop it all and it will be better for all...lets call it mutual respect
    Last edited by lpast; 10-27-11 at 12:30 AM.

  5. #355
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Because I know them. Not only have I worked with people who make these comments, but I also have black family members who talk about it (not frequently though). I've never seen it, but I'm pretty sure this is the exact issue Chris Rock explored in his documentary "Good Hair". It's something I'm pretty familiar with as a common topic of disagreement among blacks.
    You know them, hmm, ok.

    Also, black people straightening their hair or whatever is not necessarily a sign of self-loathing and I've never said nor implied that so the implication that I have is unwarranted.
    You mistook what I said. I'm not saying you implied self-loathing. I'm saying that much of the cosmetic changes we all bring about in ourselves is often based on a self-loathing of some level. We all have things about our appearances we don't particularly like and often take steps in varying stages of extremity to alter or cover up that thing.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #356
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    General ignorance...the same ignorance that makes stupid white people thing they are better than someone else because of the color of their skin. When you have nothing, anything is something.
    White people who believe in their racial superiority don't just have "general ignorance". It's ignorance of science, ignorance of history or whatever, but it's not just "general". It's the same for black people or any other person who believes that their skin color, hair color, height or whatever isn't good enough. There is always a specific cause. For a girl who wants to be stick thin, the cause may be the value that skinny people are given in society even if she isn't conscious of its influence on her. For a black guy who wants lighter skin, the cause may be the value that white people are given in society even if he is not conscious of its influence.

    I don't think it would wrongheaded for me to assume that the majority of people who have ZERO qualms with someone arguing that many women who strive to be a size 0 do so because of the value skinny women are given over heavier ones in much of society. For this reason, I find it strange that so many object to the argument that many blacks who speak of "good hair" and "light skin is better" do so because the value whites have been and are often given in much of society.

    Well, with all due respect to your mother that worked in a black neighborhood....I am black, from a black neighborhood, and I volunteer tutor in predominately black schools now. It's prevalent (to a far lesser extent than when I was young) in younger kids for the same reasons that clothes and hairstyles are important. Appearance means everything to teens.
    With all due respect to you, experience is experience. You've had experiences, I've had experiences and my mother has had experiences so I'm not about to give you more credit because you're black, grew up in a black neighborhood and volunteer tutor in one if that was the intent of you including that information - if not, oops. And as I said, it's predominant among younger kids so yes, I agree with your points about teens.

  7. #357
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You know them, hmm, ok.
    I do. Sorry.

    You mistook what I said. I'm not saying you implied self-loathing. I'm saying that much of the cosmetic changes we all bring about in ourselves is often based on a self-loathing of some level. We all have things about our appearances we don't particularly like and often take steps in varying stages of extremity to alter or cover up that thing.
    I agree and everyone has different reasons for their self-loathing and some groups share those reasons with another. Americans share reasons. Italians share reasons. Women share reasons. Whites share reasons. And blacks share reasons. That's pretty much my point. The reasons exist and slavery/segregation are part of the reasons for black self-loathing. They are different for other groups.

  8. #358
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    White people who believe in their racial superiority don't just have "general ignorance". It's ignorance of science, ignorance of history or whatever, but it's not just "general". It's the same for black people or any other person who believes that their skin color, hair color, height or whatever isn't good enough. There is always a specific cause. For a girl who wants to be stick thin, the cause may be the value that skinny people are given in society even if she isn't conscious of its influence on her. For a black guy who wants lighter skin, the cause may be the value that white people are given in society even if he is not conscious of its influence.
    Or maybe he like light skin better than dark skin.

    I don't think it would wrongheaded for me to assume that the majority of people who have ZERO qualms with someone arguing that many women who strive to be a size 0 do so because of the value skinny women are given over heavier ones in much of society. For this reason, I find it strange that so many object to the argument that many blacks who speak of "good hair" and "light skin is better" do so because the value whites have been and are often given in much of society.
    This assumes that blacks are simply reacting to white society and have no input in it on their own. This may have been the case 100 years ago...but is not the case now. In the last 20 years, black culture has nearly taken over as the prime impact on youth culture and as a result, at least partially, young black people are more prone to embrace "being black" than they were 20 years ago.

    With all due respect to you, experience is experience. You've had experiences, I've had experiences and my mother has had experiences so I'm not about to give you more credit because you're black, grew up in a black neighborhood and volunteer tutor in one if that was the intent of you including that information - if not, oops. And as I said, it's predominant among younger kids so yes, I agree with your points about teens.
    Again, with respect....your experiences are that of observers.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #359
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I do. Sorry.
    Well, Sir, I am them, and you don't know me.

    I agree and everyone has different reasons for their self-loathing and some groups share those reasons with another. Americans share reasons. Italians share reasons. Women share reasons. Whites share reasons. And blacks share reasons. That's pretty much my point. The reasons exist and slavery/segregation are part of the reasons for black self-loathing. They are different for other groups.
    Part of the reason yes, to say it is the only reason, as the unmentionable claimed earlier, is false.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #360
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Get White Boy Drunk: Is That Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Well, Sir, I am them, and you don't know me.
    I never said I knew you. I said I know black people who make such comments. Please do not twist my words.

    Part of the reason yes, to say it is the only reason, as the unmentionable claimed earlier, is false.
    I never said it was the only reason. In fact, I stated the opposite several times. Please read my comments.

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •