View Poll Results: Are you in the 1% or 99%

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1%

    9 17.31%
  • 99%

    43 82.69%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 205

Thread: The 99 % or 1%?

  1. #131
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I doubt that.....based on the things that you post....the talking points are right out of FoxNews.
    All conservative media outlets work off the same scripts. We see them wash through here all the time.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  2. #132
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    I'm still waiting to find out what the "1%" has that they took away from me.

    Got a script for that?

  3. #133
    I support ██ ███
    jasonxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I'm still waiting to find out what the "1%" has that they took away from me.

    Got a script for that?
    I've taken a cookie from you.



  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Oh, show us where the Tea Party wants to make boogie men of corporations?
    Been hearin a buncha tea party types talkin bout sumpin called crony capitalism on da tv box.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #135
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Last poll I saw, they had a 54% approval rating nationwide with 23% still undecided. Only 23% disapproving.

    Topline Results of Oct. 9-10, 2011, TIME Poll | Swampland | TIME.com

    That makes them the most approved of political entity in the country. Higher approval than Romney or Obama or the Democratic Party or the Republican Party or the Tea Party or Congress or Liberals or Conservatives. Some of those they are two, three or even five times more popular than.
    I hadn't thought of it like that, in comparison, but you are right!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    At this point, their views on corporatism is all the movement stands for. Certainly many people amongst them have many conflicting views on all kinds of stuff, but that is what they share.
    I feel they are about something else. They are not really that against corporatism. They are people who are mad, because the rich are getting richer while they are not. I realize that a lot of the income inequality that US have experienced the last 30 years, have been unavoidable. At least with traditional politics. Going after the rich won't make them richer, but I don't think the protestors realize this.


    The US used to enjoy the highest standard of living in the world as recently as the early 90s. We were consistently ranked #1 in the world. Now we've fallen to #13. The median productivity of an American worker is an outstanding $97k/year. It has been steadily rising year after year. But our median income isn't following it. Our median income is presently $44k/year. Less than half what we're worth.
    US were not number 1 in the 1990s. Countries like Brunei, and Luxembourg was in front of the US, but also Switzerland. In fact US is ahead of Switzerland right now and US has certainly performed better than Europe. GDP: GDP per capita, PPP, current international dollars

    The median wage you say is too low, do not include a lot of factors. Median income is 44K. Employers pay a 7% payroll tax, 47K. Benefits, 74K Earnings and Benefits - Firms Providing Benefits - Workers, Retirement, Industry, Private, Characteristics, and Average - StateUniversity

    Now, we are up to 74K, if we add all remaining factors such as capital gains taxes, business taxes, property taxes, regulations it should be approximately 90K. The remainder is profit.

    Why hasn't the wages increased much? Because benefits and hidden taxes has increased.

    Income taxes has dropped dramatically the last 30 years, income inequality has increased, the number of people working has dropped, but revenue hasn't. Wierd. That is because they are getting their income from hidden taxes. Increased benefits has also had a dampening effect on median wages. The reason I find this movement scary is because I know that wages in the US are going to go down soon. People are complaining about wages not going up fast enough, what will they say when their wages go down. This is another reason, I don't support hidden taxes, and benefits, because it makes it diffiucult to see a correlation between GDP per capita growth and income.


    Since the 60s the US's GDP per capita has gone up 400% in today's dollars, but the median income only 40%.
    That is incorrect. GDP per capita has increased by 160% since 1960. Your median income figure is probably correct, but average income with capital gains has only gone up by 65%. The reason neither of them has gone up more, is because benefits, regulation and hidden taxes has increased substantially the last 50 years.

    Fact is, US had a GDP increase of 4.9% the last 10 years. With so many factors dragging direct income down, I'm suprised it didn't drop more. People always expect more and more, but fact is. We are producing less and less. The only thing that are not turning these numbers negative are technological growth. I think the biggest problem in the western world is too high expectations combined with lack of knowledge.

    http://www.sublimeoblivion.com/wp-co...ncome-saez.jpg
    USA, Canada, Western Europe, Asia: 14 Nations Gross Domestic Product (GDP PPP) Per Capita from 1960

    During the entire Bush administration the median income for the top 1% went up a shocking 400%, but the median income for the other 99% actually FELL.
    Those numbers are definitly incorrect. As you can see here

    The 99 % or 1%?-historical-income-equality-1979-2005-top-1-5-and-10-pct-quantiles-jpg

    You are really somewhat part of the problem. You like so many Americans have been given false information about what is happening to the American economy. I think the biggest failure is education. Students should learn about this in the school, and be given proper unbiased information. Most people would accept all your figures, because they have no clue about the real numbers.


    THAT is what OWS is about. It's not about unbearable poverty, it is about not getting cut in on the profits we're creating.

    It bugs me that I have to specify this every single time, and I don't think you would need this, but for the sake of the right wingers here- that doesn't mean we need redistribution or socialism or whatever, it just means we need to ferret out those policies that are giving the super rich unfair advantages. Get rid of those, and things will go back to the normal state of affairs we've had for most of our country's history where a rising tide really does raise all ships. That's all we're asking for.
    Now that your basis is debunked, then we can see what Wall Street protest is really about. Wall Street protests are about the misguided idea that Americans could have substantially higher living standards, and they think the 1% rich people are preventing them from having a much higher living standards.

    What I want is to get people to understand that their wages can not get substantially higher and income inequality can't become like Scandinavia. In fact American living standards are one of the highest in the world. Enjoy it while you can, because it probably won't last.
    Last edited by Camlon; 10-21-11 at 04:29 AM.

  7. #137
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Socialism is like a virus. You never really eradicate it. It's just there looking for the next host to infect.

    This group is bit.
    Meh, the establishment said the anti-war protesters during the Vietnam war were Communists and Socialists too. The American public didn't buy it, just like they are not buying it about the OWS protesters.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #138
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Meh, the establishment said the anti-war protesters during the Vietnam war were Communists and Socialists too. The American public didn't buy it, just like they are not buying it about the OWS protesters.
    But there is no argumemt they were communists, as had been stated here earlier.

  9. #139
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Most likely the healthcare professional is dismayed to watch the eleite upper 1% manipulate markets and pollutocracy greed while the nail salon gal is watching Fox and sinks into a demented perspective voraciously defending the uber elite who funnel massive $ to manipulate the uneducated viewer.
    In Virginia, they are called trailer park Republicans:

    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #140
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: The 99 % or 1%?

    Liberals save their real piss and vinegar for lower midle class Americans, the ones they pretend to be pulling for.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •