View Poll Results: What should eminent domain should be used for?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hospitals/medical facilities

    12 36.36%
  • Roads

    22 66.67%
  • K-12 schools

    11 33.33%
  • Universes/colleges

    10 30.30%
  • Municipal buildings

    10 30.30%
  • Privately owned companies

    1 3.03%
  • Privately owned companies

    1 3.03%
  • Should not be used at all

    8 24.24%
  • other

    7 21.21%
  • Don't know/no opinion

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: What should eminent domain should be used for?

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    What should eminent domain should be used for?

    I saw this thread and wondered what are your opinions on what eminent domain should be use for.


    What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Hospitals
    Roads
    K-12 schools
    Universes/colleges
    Municipal buildings
    Privately owned companies
    Remove condemned or property is disarray
    Should not be used at all
    other
    Don't know/no opinion




    The government should never be handing property over from one private property owner to privately owned business and it should be illegal for private companies to use eminent domain to acquire property, if they need it that bad then they can pay the owner what ever the hell the owner wants. Things like schools, hospitals,and municipal buildings can be built on other location,so it should be illegal. Roads should be about the only thing that eminent domain should be used for,so that is about the only thing I can agree with eminent domain being used for and thats only if enough property owners agreed to already sell their property for the road.I think condemning the property just so they can get a cheaper price should be illegal.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 10-19-11 at 03:03 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Only for essential infrastructure. Roads, bridges, electrical grid, etc.

  3. #3
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    w thought it should be used to build the rangers' baseball stadium so it would enhance his wealth
    yep, THAT small government w
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I saw this thread and wondered what are your opinions on what eminent domain should be use for.


    What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Hospitals
    Roads
    K-12 schools
    Universes/colleges
    Municipal buildings
    Privately owned companies
    Remove condemned or property is disarray
    Should not be used at all
    other
    Don't know/no opinion

    The government should never be handing property over from one private property owner to privately owned business and it should be illegal for private companies to use eminent domain to acquire property, if they need it that bad then they can pay the owner what ever the hell the owner wants. Things like schools, hospitals,and municipal buildings can be built on other location,so it should be illegal. Roads should be about the only thing that eminent domain should be used for,so that is about the only thing I can agree with eminent domain being used for and thats only if enough property owners agreed to already sell their property for the road.I think condemning the property just so they can get a cheaper price should be illegal.
    Eminent Domain is necessary for roads, airports, railroads, stadiums, other public uses, etc. In that case, an owner should be entitled to an appraisal of his own choosing, by a licensed appraiser, paid for at government expense. I also think that, if vacant property is basically abandoned...becomes a hazard to the area...a druggie hangout, etc...municipalities ought to have the right to exercise eminent domain...same way, licensed appraisal, pay the owners, and then sell the property to whomever they wish -- hopefully at a profit.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    We had a situation here in Michigan years ago where the city, county and state used their powers to destroy a working class neghborhood on the east side of Detroit adjoining the city of Hamtramck to make it easy for one of the Big Three auto companies to expand. Hundreds of homes and businesses were bought in forced sales and the land sold at sweetheart prices to the corporation.

    That is disgusting and should never have happened.

    Sometime watch the great 1938 film YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. One of the subplots is that Lionel Barrymore is the last holdout in a working class neighborhood against a company trying to take over the whole area. Today, the city would condemn his house and the movie would be a short subject.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #6
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    I'm OK with it being used for roads, rail, and airports. Those are massive public projects, and we can't allow them to be jeopardized by some random guy who stubbornly refuses to sell his property. For that matter, I don't have a problem with eminent domain being used for medical facilities either, provided there is some strategic reason why the facility must be located on that specific patch of land as opposed to somewhere else.

    The other items on that list are unnecessary IMO. I see no reason that eminent domain should be needed to find a place to build a school or government building, and using it for private businesses/residences is the most flagrant abuse of all.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #7
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Eminent Domain is necessary for roads, airports, railroads, stadiums, other public uses, etc. In that case, an owner should be entitled to an appraisal of his own choosing, by a licensed appraiser, paid for at government expense. I also think that, if vacant property is basically abandoned...becomes a hazard to the area...a druggie hangout, etc...municipalities ought to have the right to exercise eminent domain...same way, licensed appraisal, pay the owners, and then sell the property to whomever they wish -- hopefully at a profit.
    Agree with infrastructure. Disagree about stadiums and the such. And "public use" is way too broad. A privately owned shopping center could be, and has been, considered public use.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Agree with infrastructure. Disagree about stadiums and the such. And "public use" is way too broad. A privately owned shopping center could be, and has been, considered public use.
    And it should NOT be.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #9
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Agree with infrastructure. Disagree about stadiums and the such. And "public use" is way too broad. A privately owned shopping center could be, and has been, considered public use.
    The legal definition of "Public Use" has a narrow definition. It's not broad at all. A shopping center wouldn't cut it.

    public use n. the only purpose for which private property can be taken (condemned) by the government under its power of eminent domain. Public use includes: schools, streets, highways, hospitals, government buildings, parks, water reservoirs, flood control, slum clearance and redevelopment, public housing, public theaters and stadiums, safety facilities, harbors, bridges, railroads, airports, terminals, prisons, jails, public utilities, canals, and numerous other purposes designated as beneficial to the public.
    public use legal definition of public use. public use synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: What should eminent domain should be used for?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The legal definition of "Public Use" has a narrow definition. It's not broad at all. A shopping center wouldn't cut it.

    public use legal definition of public use. public use synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    I disagree. First, many communities have played fast-and-loose with the definition of condemnation. Many perfectly fine property have been improperly deemed "condemned" when the locality wanted it.

    Second, the definition you cited IS very broad, IMO. They pretty much included everything.

    "...Slum clearance and redevelopment..." By who? Private for-profit companies, most often.

    "...public theaters and stadiums..." While accessible to the public, generally for the benefit of privately-owned teams and other privately-owned entertainment entities.

    "...numerous other purposes designated as beneficial to the public." If that's not broad, I don't know what is. That could mean virtually anything, and often does. Increasing the tax base has been a common excuse...
    New London, Connecticut | The Institute for Justice

    The fight over Fort Trumbull eventually reached the U.S. Supreme Court, where the Court in 2005, in one of the most controversial rulings in its history, held that economic development was a “public use” under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
    Oh, and the most insulting result of this specific example?... The developer backed out and the land sits vacant. Everybody's been uprooted and kicked out for nothing.
    (Same link as above)

    Meanwhile, in New London, the Fort Trumbull project has been a dismal failure. After spending close to 80 million in taxpayer money, there has been no new construction whatsoever and the neighborhood is now a barren field. In 2009, Pfizer, the lynchpin of the disastrous economic development plan, announced that it was leaving New London for good, just as its tax breaks are set to expire.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •