View Poll Results: Is America arrogant?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not at all

    10 8.33%
  • May be a little

    13 10.83%
  • Yes, it is

    55 45.83%
  • Oh, very arrogant

    26 21.67%
  • I can't decide

    3 2.50%
  • Other

    13 10.83%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 236

Thread: Is America arrogant?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    We need mr Awesome to come back to the thread and explain how american occupation is civilizing the Europeans...

    as if it werent an ironic evidence to the point of this thread.

  2. #222
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-29-11 @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Americans generally aren't arrogant but it's the dynasty that actually own this country (aka Rockefeller, Rothschild) that had some of the most ambitious arrogant foreign policies the world had ever seen! You've got oil in your country? Great! We'd be happy to flex off our all mighty naval/air superiority/well trained forces and take it away from ya and called it "spreading freedom" and stopping "Terrorism or Regime" and there's not a damn thing you could do about it! You've got cheap labor in your country? Excellent! We'd use them to make all the crap we purchase daily here to keep the public's minds off what we're really doing in the white house! And when we're in major debt to a point where we'll never able to pay off to the trading imbalance, don't come and ask us to pay up cuz if you dare we'd bomb the **** out of ya and call it even! While we're at it because you're of a different color, we'd like to reduce your population just because we can! While we're busy taking over the world, we'll continue to entertain the American's people and feed with with non-sense bipartisan debates and fake elections that are absolutely meaningless cuz we're the real men in charge behind close doors!

  3. #223
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    We need mr Awesome to come back to the thread and explain how american occupation is civilizing the Europeans...

    as if it werent an ironic evidence to the point of this thread.
    My intention was not to hijack the thread and explain how America is helping civilize the europeans, but to provide my opinion as to why some may feel that America is arrogant. Assumption why they feel that way primarily being due to our foreign policy among others, but I feel this is one of the main reasons. Also the question from the OP begs the response: As opposed to what? And that is why I brought Europe into the equation because of a lot of euros seem to think we are waiving the past (America's involvement in WW1 and 2 in their face lording it over them, but I would argue that is not the case. Point being that european countries have been painting this world red for many, many years with their internal conflicts/wars and external conflicts/wars for quite some time and most of their peace now has been largely acheived through American involvement after WW2. So, while America may be considered arrogant, I would say that we are just looking out for our interests as any nation would. Keeping Europe cooperating is in our interest.
    Caitlyn Strong...

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    My intention was not to hijack the thread and explain how America is helping civilize the europeans, but to provide my opinion as to why some may feel that America is arrogant. Assumption why they feel that way primarily being due to our foreign policy among others, but I feel this is one of the main reasons. Also the question from the OP begs the response: As opposed to what? And that is why I brought Europe into the equation because of a lot of euros seem to think we are waiving the past (America's involvement in WW1 and 2 in their face lording it over them, but I would argue that is not the case. Point being that european countries have been painting this world red for many, many years with their internal conflicts/wars and external conflicts/wars for quite some time and most of their peace now has been largely acheived through American involvement after WW2. So, while America may be considered arrogant, I would say that we are just looking out for our interests as any nation would. Keeping Europe cooperating is in our interest.
    I don't know where your mind is, perhaps 1950.

  5. #225
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    My intention was not to hijack the thread and explain how America is helping civilize the europeans, but to provide my opinion as to why some may feel that America is arrogant. Assumption why they feel that way primarily being due to our foreign policy among others, but I feel this is one of the main reasons. Also the question from the OP begs the response: As opposed to what? And that is why I brought Europe into the equation because of a lot of euros seem to think we are waiving the past (America's involvement in WW1 and 2 in their face lording it over them, but I would argue that is not the case. Point being that european countries have been painting this world red for many, many years with their internal conflicts/wars and external conflicts/wars for quite some time and most of their peace now has been largely acheived through American involvement after WW2. So, while America may be considered arrogant, I would say that we are just looking out for our interests as any nation would. Keeping Europe cooperating is in our interest.
    I say this with all due respect, but the concept of the USA 'civilising' Europe is an interesting (some might say provocative) one. Similar in many respects to the likelihood of an immature and unruly 15 year old 'civilising' his suave and erudite grandfather.

    And while upon the subject of 'painting the world red' with conflict, I am given the impression that the US has more than rivalled any European state over the past 200 years or so.

    History of U.S. Military Interventions since 1890

    So, I suspect if there were any civilising effected across the Atlantic, the most probable direction was from East to West. Leaving aside conflict, visit any art gallery, theatre, concert hall, ballet stage, or opera house, to see whence came the major works of art, literature, and music which comprise a significant part of what might be regarded as civilisation. And while you are at it, have a look at which societies provide the greatest social justice, I am not entirely sure you will be gazing West.

    Arrogance is often defined as having an overbearing and unrealistic sense of self-worth and self-importance, so on the personal level, you might just have answered the OP.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  6. #226
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I say this with all due respect, but the concept of the USA 'civilising' Europe is an interesting (some might say provocative) one. Similar in many respects to the likelihood of an immature and unruly 15 year old 'civilising' his suave and erudite grandfather.

    And while upon the subject of 'painting the world red' with conflict, I am given the impression that the US has more than rivalled any European state over the past 200 years or so.

    History of U.S. Military Interventions since 1890

    So, I suspect if there were any civilising effected across the Atlantic, the most probable direction was from East to West. Leaving aside conflict, visit any art gallery, theatre, concert hall, ballet stage, or opera house, to see whence came the major works of art, literature, and music which comprise a significant part of what might be regarded as civilisation. And while you are at it, have a look at which societies provide the greatest social justice, I am not entirely sure you will be gazing West.

    Arrogance is often defined as having an overbearing and unrealistic sense of self-worth and self-importance, so on the personal level, you might just have answered the OP.
    Lenin, Stalin, Mussolini, Hitler, Franco, Tito. Not only great works of art but such wonderful human beings as well that europe has produced. Pasted Euro conflicts from the 19th century to present as follows. You could keep artists busy for centuries to help take the edge off of all the suffering on that continent. The fall of communism 1989 has shown glimmers of hope for Europe, no thanks to the US. We have clearly established here that the US involvement in WW2 wasn't that special, maybe on par with the Polish resistance, and post WW2: the Marshall Plan, defence against Stalin/Soviet Union wasn't needed, after all our cultured and civilized Euro's didn't need any help after all correct? How could they possibly need any help from America?

    Social Justice: You mean in pre 1989 Poland, Romania, Armenia, Azergaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, East Germany. These are examples of social justice?







    [edit] 19th century

    · 1803–1815 Napoleonic Wars
    · 1804-1813 First Serbian Uprising
    · 1815-1817 Second Serbian Uprising
    · 1817-1864 Russian conquest of the Caucasus
    · 1821-1832 Greek War of Independence
    · 1821 Wallachian uprising of 1821
    · 1823 French invasion of Spain
    · 1826-1828 Russo-Persian War
    · 1828-1829 Russo-Turkish War
    · 1828-1834 Liberal Wars
    · 1830 Ten Days Campaign (following the Belgian Revolt)
    · 1830-1831 November Uprising
    · 1831-1832 Great Bosnian uprising
    · 1833-1839 First Carlist War
    · 1833-1839 Albanian Revolts of 1833–1839
    · 1843-1844 Albanian Revolt of 1843–1844
    · 1846 Galician slaughter
    · 1846-1849 Second Carlist War
    · 1847 Albanian Revolt of 1847
    · 1847 Sonderbund War
    · 1848-1849 Hungarian Revolution and War of Independence
    · 1848-1851 First Schleswig War
    · 1848–1866 Wars of Italian Independence
    · 1848–1849 First Italian Independence War
    · 1859 Second Italian War of Independence
    · 1866 Third Italian War of Independence
    · 1854 Epirus Revolt of 1854
    · 1854–1856 Crimean War
    · 1858 Mahtra War
    · 1863-1864 January Uprising
    · 1864 Second Schleswig War
    · 1864 January Uprising
    · 1866 Austro-Prussian War
    · 1866-1869 Cretan Revolt
    · 1870–1871 Franco-Prussian War
    · 1872-1876 Third Carlist War
    · 1873-1874 Cantonal Revolution
    · 1877–1878 Russo–Turkish War
    · 1878 Epirus Revolt of 1878
    · 1885 Serbo-Bulgarian War
    · 1893–1896 Cod War of 1893
    · 1897 Greco–Turkish War
    [edit] 1900-1945

    · 1910 Albanian Revolt of 1910
    · 1911-1912 Italo-Turkish War
    · 1912–1913 Balkan Wars
    o 1912-1913 First Balkan War
    o 1913 Second Balkan War
    · 1914 Peasant Revolt in Albania
    · 1914–1918 World War I
    · 1916 Easter Rising
    · 1917–1921 Russian Civil War
    · 1918 Finnish Civil War
    • 1918 Polish-Czech war for Teschen Silesia
    · 1918–1919 Polish-Ukrainian War
    · 1918–1919 Greater Poland Uprising
    · 1918–1920 Estonian Liberation War
    · 1918-1920 Latvian War of Independence
    · 1919 Hungarian–Romanian War of 1919
    · 1919-1922 Greco-Turkish War
    · 1919-1923 Turkish War of Independence
    · 1919–1920 Czechoslovakia-Hungary War
    · 1919–1921 Silesian Uprisings
    · 1919–1921 Polish-Soviet War
    · 1919–1921 Anglo-Irish War
    · 1920 Polish-Lithuanian War
    · 1921 Uprising in West Hungary
    · 1922–1923 Irish Civil War
    · 1934 Asturian miners' strike of 1934
    · 1936–1939 Spanish Civil War
    · 1939 Slovak-Hungarian War
    · 1939 Occupation of Zakarpattia Oblast by Hungary
    · 1939–1945 World War II
    o 1939 Soviet invasion of Poland
    o 1939-1940 Winter War
    o 1940-1941Greco-Italian War
    o 1941-1945 Soviet-German war
    o 1941-1944 Continuation War
    o 1944 Slovak National Uprising
    [edit] 1945-1989
    · 1945-1949 Greek Civil War
    · 1953 Uprising in East Germany
    · 1956 Uprising in Poznań
    · 1956 Hungarian Revolution
    · 1959-2011 Basque Conflict
    · 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia
    · 1968-1998 The Troubles
    · 1970-1984 Unrest in Italy
    · 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus
    · 1978 Turkey–Kurdistan Workers' Party conflict
    · 1988-1994 Nagorno-Karabakh War
    [edit] 1989-2000
    · 1989 Romanian Revolution
    · 1991 Ten-Day War
    · 1991-1992 South Ossetian War of Independence
    · 1991-1993 Georgian Civil War
    · 1991-1995 Croatian War of Independence
    · 1992 War of Transnistria
    · 1992 Ossetian-Ingush conflict
    · 1992-1993 First War in Abkhazia
    · 1992-1995 Bosnian War
    · 1994-1996 First Chechen War
    · 1998-1999 Kosovo War
    · 1998-present Republican Dissidents Conflict
    Caitlyn Strong...

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Is your point that Europeans are morally inferior to Americans... or possibly less civilized?

  8. #228
    Educator mikeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    01-31-12 @ 07:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    776

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    no,thank you great people for looking after all of us for all the world can see.

    god bless you all

    and thank you

    mikeey

    mikeey

  9. #229
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRABOY View Post
    Is your point that Europeans are morally inferior to Americans... or possibly less civilized?
    No, my point is that all countries look to their self interests. Doesn't make them arrogant. Assumption is that the OP was talking about US foreign policy that may be perceived by some as US arrogance. Maybe the OP was talking about the perception by people in other countries about US tourists or visitors etc. that seem to be arrogant.
    Caitlyn Strong...

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    No, my point is that all countries look to their self interests. Doesn't make them arrogant. Assumption is that the OP was talking about US foreign policy that may be perceived by some as US arrogance. Maybe the OP was talking about the perception by people in other countries about US tourists or visitors etc. that seem to be arrogant.
    Such as Europeans not being able to look out for its self interests perhaps?

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •