View Poll Results: Is America arrogant?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not at all

    10 8.33%
  • May be a little

    13 10.83%
  • Yes, it is

    55 45.83%
  • Oh, very arrogant

    26 21.67%
  • I can't decide

    3 2.50%
  • Other

    13 10.83%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 236

Thread: Is America arrogant?

  1. #181
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Arrogance is a prerequisite for world leadership.

    Rome was arrogant. Britain was arrogant. Is there anyway for a superpower not be arrogant?

  2. #182
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    Yeah, I would like to see some Euro bases on our border states with mexico to help us for a change. How about a German-Laredo, and British-San Ysidro base to support our border patrol, and a Italian-Miami base. Not only bases, how about navy patrols too, to police the Gulf of Mexico from drug smugglers and so on and so on. Most of the world doesn't have to do **** because of the US about their national defense, yet they question the manner in which we provide it. I guess that picture means that we the good old USA need to rethink what we are doing and take care of our affairs at home, which most won't argue. We need to find the right balance and improve how we do things but that picture doesn't mean we are arrogant. If anything is shows we care and are realists regarding world affairs, and how can we not be with appeasement bull**** doctrines that failed many times over from our superior, well cultured euro-cousins who don't seem to be in a rush to tell us yankees to go home anytime soon.
    you think the US still have bases in Europe to protect the Europeans? Lol come on guy...

  3. #183
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Arrogance is a prerequisite for world leadership.

    Rome was arrogant. Britain was arrogant. Is there anyway for a superpower not be arrogant?
    British empire ended a while ago but all you have to do is put the Zulu DVD in and me and my dad will become arrogant assholes!

  4. #184
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    you think the US still have bases in Europe to protect the Europeans? Lol come on guy...
    No, not anymore. But, I do think there is value in having some bases there as friendly and safe staging areas for other parts of the world. Could probably be less than we have now, though, and still be effective and efficient.

  5. #185
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    To say Americans are arrogant, isn't saying Americans are bad people. I don't understand why everybody's getting their panties in a wad about it. Americans are arrogant and we've got d@mned good reason to be. Remember as a kid, there was always one guy who strutted his stuff and talked smack...but could back it up? Nobody liked it, but what can you say when he is what he says he is? Yeah, that's us...America. We've got the best economy in the world, the best military in the world, and the best technology in the world. Even though people always gripe about it, we've got the most social and economic mobility in the world. When there's a major environmental disaster in a foreign country, American carriers are on the scene faster than anybody, ready to assist and help save lives. Americans are GREAT people. The American people, separately from our government, the average joe in the American streets, usually contribute more to countries facing disaster than most other country's governments contribute.

    Yeah, we're bada**. But not every American is arrogant. Some are as humble as the day is long. More are very correctly and properly "proud." But there is a percentage, a pretty chunky percentage that are arrogant. Yeah it's a criticism, but we can take it, we're a tough people. One of our great strength's is that when we see a problem, we say something about it and we try to fix it. A lot of other countries falter because when they see a problem they hide from it. Americans face it down and punch it dead in the face! Then we say, "What? You want some more?"

    What I want my fellow "arrogant" Americans to understand is that we cannot afford to get complacent. Arrogance leads to complacency. And when you're top dog in the world you've got a biga** target on your back. EVERYBODY want's a piece of us. If we get too complacent because of arrogance, somebody's gonna jump in and take a big chunk out of our a** like they did on 9/11. We've got a generation coming up now that thinks because they were born American they "deserve" a hand-out from the government. Well sorry buttheads, you gotta earn it like everybody else did. This is arrogance. There's many other indicators as well.

    The average arrogant American needs to understand that poor countries and third-world countries aren't that way because they're all stupid or lazy. When I traveled to Thailand I was blown away because every single person I met was REALLY FREAKIN' SMART AND REALLY FREAKIN' TOUGH! They made most Americans look like amateurs in the game of Capitalism. The reason I point this out is to say...we've got competition out there, and they're gunning for US (as in we). We cannot afford to get complacent because we think we're genetically/culturally/whateverly smarter than everybody else. That's "arrogance." We've got to stay sharp and stay on our toes if we want to remain the biggest, baddest motherf**ker in the valley. We need to remember (and respect) that everybody else out there is smart and tough too.

    So how did we get on top when we're no smarter than anybody else? It's partly geography, but mostly it's...'tude. LOTS OF IT! Most every other country has cultural divisions. These divisions tend to fight and work against each other. The USA has similar cultural divisions, but when Americans feel an outside threat, we drop the cultural bulls**t and get to work opening a big 'ol can of whoopa**, with a big can opener called, "attitude." Look at the Tuskegee Airman of ww2. A unit of all African-Americans who, after experiencing prejudice and oppression and belittlement, wanted to fight for the very country that did it to them. They sucked it up and did the job anyway and did it very well. THAT is why we're on top. We drop our differences to fight under one flag. No other country does this like we do.

    The Taliban and al-Queda don't understand that about us. They don't know s**t. They think we're arrogant and have no reason to be. They think we're divided just like the Afghani tribesman. But they're wrong. And every JDAM they take straight up the patootie should tell those pansie momma's boys they are going to lose. Watch the f**k out, losers.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  6. #186
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    “The offspring of riches: Pride, vanity, ostentation, arrogance, tyranny” - Mark Twain
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #187
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    or until you produce a half decent car again!
    I don't make cars

    I drive a Lexus-have had three over the last 20 years. current one has 155k on it



  8. #188
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't make cars

    I drive a Lexus-have had three over the last 20 years. current one has 155k on it

    love the Audi myself, say what you want about the Germans they make good cars!

  9. #189
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    love the Audi myself, say what you want about the Germans they make good cars!
    I learned to drive in VW Bugs. Loved those cars.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  10. #190
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Is America arrogant?

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    To say Americans are arrogant, isn't saying Americans are bad people. I don't understand why everybody's getting their panties in a wad about it. Americans are arrogant and we've got d@mned good reason to be. Remember as a kid, there was always one guy who strutted his stuff and talked smack...but could back it up? Nobody liked it, but what can you say when he is what he says he is? Yeah, that's us...America. We've got the best economy in the world, the best military in the world, and the best technology in the world. Even though people always gripe about it, we've got the most social and economic mobility in the world. When there's a major environmental disaster in a foreign country, American carriers are on the scene faster than anybody, ready to assist and help save lives. Americans are GREAT people. The American people, separately from our government, the average joe in the American streets, usually contribute more to countries facing disaster than most other country's governments contribute.

    Yeah, we're bada**. But not every American is arrogant. Some are as humble as the day is long. More are very correctly and properly "proud." But there is a percentage, a pretty chunky percentage that are arrogant. Yeah it's a criticism, but we can take it, we're a tough people. One of our great strength's is that when we see a problem, we say something about it and we try to fix it. A lot of other countries falter because when they see a problem they hide from it. Americans face it down and punch it dead in the face! Then we say, "What? You want some more?"

    What I want my fellow "arrogant" Americans to understand is that we cannot afford to get complacent. Arrogance leads to complacency. And when you're top dog in the world you've got a biga** target on your back. EVERYBODY want's a piece of us. If we get too complacent because of arrogance, somebody's gonna jump in and take a big chunk out of our a** like they did on 9/11. We've got a generation coming up now that thinks because they were born American they "deserve" a hand-out from the government. Well sorry buttheads, you gotta earn it like everybody else did. This is arrogance. There's many other indicators as well.

    The average arrogant American needs to understand that poor countries and third-world countries aren't that way because they're all stupid or lazy. When I traveled to Thailand I was blown away because every single person I met was REALLY FREAKIN' SMART AND REALLY FREAKIN' TOUGH! They made most Americans look like amateurs in the game of Capitalism. The reason I point this out is to say...we've got competition out there, and they're gunning for US (as in we). We cannot afford to get complacent because we think we're genetically/culturally/whateverly smarter than everybody else. That's "arrogance." We've got to stay sharp and stay on our toes if we want to remain the biggest, baddest motherf**ker in the valley. We need to remember (and respect) that everybody else out there is smart and tough too.

    So how did we get on top when we're no smarter than anybody else? It's partly geography, but mostly it's...'tude. LOTS OF IT! Most every other country has cultural divisions. These divisions tend to fight and work against each other. The USA has similar cultural divisions, but when Americans feel an outside threat, we drop the cultural bulls**t and get to work opening a big 'ol can of whoopa**, with a big can opener called, "attitude." Look at the Tuskegee Airman of ww2. A unit of all African-Americans who, after experiencing prejudice and oppression and belittlement, wanted to fight for the very country that did it to them. They sucked it up and did the job anyway and did it very well. THAT is why we're on top. We drop our differences to fight under one flag. No other country does this like we do.

    The Taliban and al-Queda don't understand that about us. They don't know s**t. They think we're arrogant and have no reason to be. They think we're divided just like the Afghani tribesman. But they're wrong. And every JDAM they take straight up the patootie should tell those pansie momma's boys they are going to lose. Watch the f**k out, losers.
    wish you awere right. but we have all the wathces. and they ahve all the time. stupid, [i]STUPID[i] timelien.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •