View Poll Results: Who are the OWS protestors?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evil Anticapitlists bent on the destruction of America

    37 30.08%
  • A confused group of people who don't know what they want

    47 38.21%
  • Other

    26 21.14%
  • Rootabega

    7 5.69%
  • Jazz hands!!!!

    6 4.88%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 181

Thread: Who are the OWS protestors?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Worked for the Tea Party, didn't it?
    No. The Tea Party was not a misdirected group of moochers as we see here. If anything, these OWS folks are much more like the anti-war protesters circa 1968, although at least those in '68 had a well-defined agenda.

    Reprint from an earlier post. Ed Rendell speaking:

    Probably a good analogy, Laura, is 1968, when someone finally channeled college kids' energies into electoral politics. And they went up to New Hampshire and they put on ties and jackets and they went door to door and they talked about the war and Gene McCarthy got 43% of the vote and brought down Lyndon Johnson. So yeah, I think that's Rich Trumka is trying to do. And again, look, I don't agree with their message. I mean the guys in Philadelphia said they're going to be here all winter. Well that's silly. You've made your point, you've gotten about all the publicity you're going to get. Now get on with your lives and if you really care about this stuff, organize at the ballot box. You know, we can yell and--our side, we can yell and scream about the tea party, but the tea party folks understood how to make change in 2010. They got out and voted.


    ..... There's no question. What happened--the protests--the anti-war movement in 1968 was doing well electorally until the convention in Chicago. And everything blew up at the convention in Chicago. Poor Hubert Humphrey had absolutely zero chance coming out of that convention because the protests turned ugly, it was violent, it wasn't productive, it wasn't peaceful anymore and it turned people off dramatically. And I think there is a risk here. There's a real risk here if it goes that way. And that's why the Rich Trumkas and all those people should be talking to the protesters and saying 'look, you made your point. You don't think by sitting here you're going to bring about change in law by just sitting here. No legislative body is going to be blackmailed. But you've made your point, you've gotten publicity for the things you've wanted to say. Now let's get out there and organize. Go home, clean up, organize, and go.'

    Ed Rendell To Operation Wall Street Protesters: Go Home | RealClearPolitics

  2. #32
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    No. The Tea Party was not a misdirected group of moochers as we see here. If anything, these OWS folks are much more like the anti-war protesters circa 1968, although at least those in '68 had a well-defined agenda.

    Reprint from an earlier post. Ed Rendell speaking:
    This is a good example of what I have been talking about lately. Can't challenge the premise behind OWS, then dismiss the protesters.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Wait, so corporations are legally participating in government (you demonize as bribing), and this somehow made all those people buy homes they couldn't afford, and made all those lenders loosen their standards? What!?

    Confused individuals indeed.
    While I agree that many Americans had a part in their own financial demise, I think it incredibly dishonest to imply that corporations and banks who gave them ridiculous loans and took such large risks do not share responsibility in the current economic mess.

    Corporations and banks took dangerous risks, many citizens lived above their means and the government nurtured all of it. The main problem I see with people's analysis of our economic breakdown is the willingness to demonize one side while excusing the others of their responsibility. Corporations/Banks, citizens and government all share responsibility. Not all corporations, not all citizens and not all members of the government - but many in each group have a share of the blame.

    I also find it funny how you excuse corporate behavior because it was legal, but then you mock and criticize the behavior of citizens even though it was also legal. Your bias is showing.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 10-11-11 at 01:08 PM.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The Tea Party was not a misdirected group of moochers as we see here. :
    Do you have the personal profiles of all the OWS protestors or are you just projecting your own preconceptions because you are unable to work with facts?

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,454
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    they are people who have been told that 'the system' is bad, and that 'they system' is responsible for bad things. so now, their lives have a high occurence of bad things, so naturally, they blame 'the system'...... the problem being, nobody ever actually explained to them specifically what that 'system', precisely, was or how it actually harmed them. they just know that life's not fair, they're not happy about it, and they're gonna blame somebody.
    As a much younger man I often questioned my elders as to the "program" I was supposed to "get with".

    Whose program?

    What exactly IS the program?

    When did I agree to this program?

    What's in it for me?

    Nobody had any real answer beyond some variation on "that's the way the world is".

    Nobody could ever satisfactorily address why they believe its some "natural" thing, this program.

    This made-up-by-man game we're all playing, whether we want to or not.

    Whether it SERVES us or not.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is a good example of what I have been talking about lately. Can't challenge the premise behind OWS, then dismiss the protesters.
    Au contraire. The "premise" has been challenged numerous times in all the OWS threads. For that matter, it also seems that all sides agree it is much like jello as well, in that it is hard to pin down. I have said from the beginning that it is all about wealth redistribution and more free stuff. And I have supported that with analysis and links. You may not agree, but how about some analysis and links instead of the tripe and snipe at other posters ?

    Thanks in advance.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Nobody had any real answer beyond some variation on "that's the way the world is".
    The amount of times I have heard and seen that phrase uttered by "older" people has taken all validity out the idea that wisdom comes with age for me. To me, that idea is the height of complacency whether it's in regards to the economy, government corruption, bullying, the education system and host of other realities. What's funny about it in regards to OWS is that it seems to be a foundation for many conservatives criticism of OWS.

    For example, many of those who attempt to explain the ideas that occupiers have expressed are met by those who say some variation of "well that's life, they should stop whining and suck it up". It's such a pathetic idea - the idea that one should just "suck up" what they perceive as inequality and abuse of power, keep their heads down and get on their way.

    While I'm not yet in full support of OWS because I haven't seen them offer up effective solutions to the problems they highlight, I appreciate the fact that they don't simply respond to institutional inequality and abuse of power by "sucking it up" and accepting that "that's just the way it is".

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,454
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Such as what then ? What changes are they going to get private America and corporate America to make to "get things in balance" ? You sound as absurd as these flakes in OWS !!

    Here, in the words of Ed Rendell, ex-Governor of PA:



    Which gets us back to the problem that the Democrat politicians were the biggest recipients of money from the bailout money recipients. Except that if the real goal is even greater redistribution than we now have, then all you see fits like a glove. Demonize the rich even more, then get government to take their money and give it to you. Now all is in focus. All makes sense.
    What knob did you turn on your elaborate gadget again?

    I cant seem to get it to come into focus.

    Is there some special filter I'm supposed to use?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Au contraire. The "premise" has been challenged numerous times in all the OWS threads. For that matter, it also seems that all sides agree it is much like jello as well, in that it is hard to pin down. I have said from the beginning that it is all about wealth redistribution and more free stuff. And I have supported that with analysis and links. You may not agree, but how about some analysis and links instead of the tripe and snipe at other posters ?

    Thanks in advance.
    I linked to the post of yours I took exception to with reasons. Thank you for playing though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Who are the OWS protestors?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    While I agree that many Americans had a part in their own financial demise, I think it incredibly dishonest to imply that corporations and banks who gave them ridiculous loans and took such large risks do not share responsibility in the current economic mess.

    Corporations and banks took dangerous risks, many citizens lived above their means and the government nurtured all of it. The main problem I see with people's analysis of our economic breakdown is the willingness to demonize one side while excusing the others of their responsibility. Corporations/Banks, citizens and government all share responsibility. Not all corporations, not all citizens and not all members of the government - but many in each group have a share of the blame.

    I also find it funny how you excuse corporate behavior because it was legal, but then you mock and criticize the behavior of citizens even though it was also legal. Your bias is showing.
    Then maybe you can explain to the rest of us why this "spontaneous" movement is only now waking up to events that happened largely before the last Presidential election, and were apparently still sleep-walking duing the 2010 midterms ?

    Maybe you can explain how we are seeing no targeting of those politicians who were the largest recipients of campaign contributions by the housing bubble culprits, starting with Fannie and Freddie, who not only were as reckless as the rest, but did it with taxpayer money, and who were also caught cooking the books. Those top recipients include Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Kerry.

    Or, are they getting the mysterious and inexplicable pass on this ?

    OBTW, do those who condemn Conservatives or the Tea Party have a dossier on every single participant ?
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 10-11-11 at 01:24 PM.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •