View Poll Results: Should the duty by re-examined?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 26.42%
  • No

    39 73.58%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 117

Thread: The Duty of Corporations

  1. #61
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Corporations aren't people. They don't have duties. They're not capable of performing duties. They are, at best, tools for creating money for their owners and employees; they're incapable of doing anything else and it is foolish to expect them to.
    Nor do they pay taxes. they are merely a tool or a conduit PEOPLE use to create wealth etc. That's why I find moronic those who claim that double taxation on dividends is proper because they claim that when the corporation "makes the money" that is one transaction and when the shareholders are "paid" that is another.



  2. #62
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from Khrazy in the OP



    100% absolutely positively without a doubt.

    As long as the only imperative for a corporation is to make money, there will always be societal problems and fall out. We need new rules for new times and a new paradigm that takes in much more than simple greed fo a corporation or its stockholders.
    The societal problems being those who don't have stock in a corporation are envious of those who do or think that they have a right to some of the profits merely because they exist within a certain proximity of that corporation?



  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,799

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The societal problems being those who don't have stock in a corporation are envious of those who do or think that they have a right to some of the profits merely because they exist within a certain proximity of that corporation?
    NO - you have that 100% totally and completely wrong.

    Te societal problems being that corporate greed as the sole motivator for a companies decisions too often ends up screwing workers, consumers, taxpayers and the larger society as a whole. Such a society is not a sustainable one with a future in a democratic republic.

    That's why I find moronic those who claim that double taxation on dividends is proper because they claim that when the corporation "makes the money" that is one transaction and when the shareholders are "paid" that is another.
    As an attorney, you are familiar with the concept that a corporation is a legal person. Thus, they pay taxes. Individual citizens are also persons. Thus, they pay taxes also. If you find that "moronic" your argument is with the morons on the Supreme Court who made those rulings.
    Last edited by haymarket; 10-10-11 at 09:14 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #64
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    NO - you have that 100% totally and completely wrong.

    Te societal problems being that corporate greed as the sole motivator for a companies decisions too often ends up screwing workers, consumers, taxpayers and the larger society as a whole. Such a society is not a sustainable one with a future in a democratic republic.
    what you call greed is not relevant. Unions are greedy. And people are NOT Screwed by a corporation making money for its shareholders

    What is not sustainable is a society where we create more and more people who think that they are entitled to the wealth of others merely because they live in the same country

    if a company screws the wrong people it fails its duty to make the most money legally possible for its shareholders

    if it treats its workers poorly that is going to affect the bottom line

    its self policing in the long run



  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,799

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what you call greed is not relevant. Unions are greedy. And people are NOT Screwed by a corporation making money for its shareholders

    What is not sustainable is a society where we create more and more people who think that they are entitled to the wealth of others merely because they live in the same country

    if a company screws the wrong people it fails its duty to make the most money legally possible for its shareholders

    if it treats its workers poorly that is going to affect the bottom line

    its self policing in the long run
    That sort of post is an excellent example of the complete and total disconnect between the reality that the vast majority of American workers live in and the privileged lot of the upper 5%. Such an attitude was the personification of the Robber Barons in the Gilded Age and is no doubt pushed today by right wing groups like ALEC and the CATO Institute but is a recipe for the end of America as the shining star in the universe of nations.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #66
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That sort of post is an excellent example of the complete and total disconnect between the reality that the vast majority of American workers live in and the privileged lot of the upper 5%. Such an attitude was the personification of the Robber Barons in the Gilded Age and is no doubt pushed today by right wing groups like ALEC and the CATO Institute but is a recipe for the end of America as the shining star in the universe of nations.
    Yawn-we get the fact that union apologists think unions ought to have far more money. BFD. calling people who invest wisely "robber barons" is hyperbolic bunk.

    The end of America is hastened by the socialist mindset that attacks winners and subsidizes LOSERS



  7. #67
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That sort of post is an excellent example of the complete and total disconnect between the reality that the vast majority of American workers live in and the privileged lot of the upper 5%.
    Satisfied employees are more productive which leads to growth and is a well known modern management paradigm. Abuses do exist but are usually in smaller companies that do not know, care, or have the resources to implement workplace improvements. Unions do not in fact enrich the "worker" to the extent they did under the old management paradigm which dicated that fear drives production(fear pertains to loss of job, income, and lifestyle)
    Such an attitude was the personification of the Robber Barons in the Gilded Age and is no doubt pushed today by right wing groups like ALEC and the CATO Institute but is a recipe for the end of America as the shining star in the universe of nations.
    No, it's simple logic, the squeaky wheel gets greased, the broken one gets replaced, anything less results in a failing workforce.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Satisfied employees are more productive which leads to growth and is a well known modern management paradigm. Abuses do exist but are usually in smaller companies that do not know, care, or have the resources to implement workplace improvements. Unions do not in fact enrich the "worker" to the extent they did under the old management paradigm which dicated that fear drives production(fear pertains to loss of job, income, and lifestyle) No, it's simple logic, the squeaky wheel gets greased, the broken one gets replaced, anything less results in a failing workforce.
    worth noting - the need on the part of union leadership to perpetuate that 'fear' mechanism is why unionized employees also report being less happy with work and with their management.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,799

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Top 1 Percent Control 42 Percent of Financial Wealth in the U.S. – How Average Americans are Lured into Debt Servitude by Promises of Mega Wealth.

    In a land where the top 1% own 42% of the wealth, the top 5% control 69% and the top 10% control 90%, that is a recipe for disaster - political disaster, social disaster and economic disaster. You might be able to get away with such an arrangement in a dictatorship or authoritarian nation where there is no right to vote. But in a democratic republic such as ours with modern communications - its a ticking time bomb.

    Those who hold to the Gilded Age ideas of rugged individualistic capitalism may indeed do well in their gated communities... for a while. But in the long run, there will be no America if this continues.

    The true American patriot knows this. The true lover of the American people know this. And the true lover of our principles and freedoms knows this.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #70
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: The Duty of Corporations

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    worth noting - the need on the part of union leadership to perpetuate that 'fear' mechanism is why unionized employees also report being less happy with work and with their management.
    Absolutely, in fact, management has overall changed for the better while union leadership has not. The fear aspect of unions follows the old management/worker paradigm, whether intentionally or not is unknown to me and it is a powerful tool. No one wants to go around life feeling undervalued and certainly doesn't want to feel screwed, that fear in itself allows unions the opportunity to pretend their value benefits the employee.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •