View Poll Results: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • illegal alien

    37 45.12%
  • illegal immigrant

    21 25.61%
  • undocumented immigrant

    6 7.32%
  • unauthorized immigrant

    4 4.88%
  • illegal invader

    8 9.76%
  • other (please state)

    6 7.32%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 82

Thread: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

  1. #71
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    You left out sorry no good dirty bums

  2. #72
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Luna Tick, I hate to break this to you, but there are some very good points raised by the photos in your post.
    No they don't. Every one of those photos includes signs that have major flaws in their reasoning. And much of it, Luna pointed out.

    Most Mexican people have at least a little, if not a lot more, Spanish (and possibly other European) blood in them because Spain colonized Mexico and parts of the US around the same time that other Europeans were colonizing the US and Canada. And plenty of American citizens have Native American blood mixed in with the European even here in the US, including my family. And the treaties and purchases that set up our borders as they are today were legal and legitimate at those times. Our laws are based on what the current legal borders and immigration laws are, not what might have been a couple of hundred years ago.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #73
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Illegal aliens.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #74
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No they don't. Every one of those photos includes signs that have major flaws in their reasoning. And much of it, Luna pointed out.

    Most Mexican people have at least a little, if not a lot more, Spanish (and possibly other European) blood in them because Spain colonized Mexico and parts of the US around the same time that other Europeans were colonizing the US and Canada. And plenty of American citizens have Native American blood mixed in with the European even here in the US, including my family. And the treaties and purchases that set up our borders as they are today were legal and legitimate at those times. Our laws are based on what the current legal borders and immigration laws are, not what might have been a couple of hundred years ago.
    Very well said. Thank you. I'd also like to add that the borders that include our 50 states are internationally recognized as being sovereign to the United States. We the people of the United States have the right to decide who gets to come here and who doesn't. Someone who commits the crime of illegally sneaking in and then claiming that he has the right to be here because he's part Native American is speaking garbage. He has no legal leg to stand on.

    When they claim it's about race, they're also talking nonsense. Since 1965 our immigration laws have had no racial quotas. Anyone of any race can apply to come here legally. Should we loosen up the regulations and allow more people to come legally? Perhaps. But that doesn't give anyone the right to illegally sneak in. The people in the photos I posted are foreigners hostile to the United States and likely committed a crime by coming here. I have zero sympathy for them. If what I suspect is true, I'm fine with every one of them being arrested and prosecuted and made to serve time in prison. At the end of their prison term, they should be deported with a permanent ban on ever coming here again with much harsher penalties if they violate that ban.

    The foreigners I have sympathy for are the ones who apply to come legally and play by the rules. I don't care what country they're from or what race they are. If they do that, I'm ready and willing to welcome them.

  5. #75
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Very well said. Thank you. I'd also like to add that the borders that include our 50 states are internationally recognized as being sovereign to the United States. We the people of the United States have the right to decide who gets to come here and who doesn't. Someone who commits the crime of illegally sneaking in and then claiming that he has the right to be here because he's part Native American is speaking garbage. He has no legal leg to stand on.

    When they claim it's about race, they're also talking nonsense. Since 1965 our immigration laws have had no racial quotas. Anyone of any race can apply to come here legally. Should we loosen up the regulations and allow more people to come legally? Perhaps. But that doesn't give anyone the right to illegally sneak in. The people in the photos I posted are foreigners hostile to the United States and likely committed a crime by coming here. I have zero sympathy for them. If what I suspect is true, I'm fine with every one of them being arrested and prosecuted and made to serve time in prison. At the end of their prison term, they should be deported with a permanent ban on ever coming here again with much harsher penalties if they violate that ban.

    The foreigners I have sympathy for are the ones who apply to come legally and play by the rules. I don't care what country they're from or what race they are. If they do that, I'm ready and willing to welcome them.
    I notice their signs say they are ingenious to this continent. Which is an absurd statement. I think if Cherokees trespassed into Mexico holding signs that say they are indigenous to this Continent the Mexican government would laugh their ass off and toss them in jail and deport them. If I trespassed into Italy and held a sign that said I am indigenous to this continent the Italian government would probably laugh their ass off and deport me or possibly toss in me jail first before deporting me.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Emotional outbursts aside, or a contest to decide the nastiest way to describe a human, I can't tell which, there is no single term which describes every single person who crosses the border illegally. The label has to reflect the reason they made that crossing, whether they are illegal aliens, drug smugglers, refugees, etc. While they have all certainly have violated the law by crossing the border in the first place, the term "illegal" by itself doesn't sit well with me. For one it personally brings to mind other single words used to simply dismiss and degrade people, as in to create an "other" who aren't treated with human respect, and in my opinion generally come from people who I suspect are passionate against illegal immigration not from an economic standpoint but from a cultural one. Secondly its entirely too general to have any meaning or use what-so-ever because if one of us were to actually think of a solution to this issue any practical one would have to acknowledge the different reasons people cross to begin with, the term doesn't do that. And lastly because the term "illegal" could be used to describe many American citizens, since to earn the title all the illegal aliens/immigrants/whatever you call them, had to do was do something illegal, well we know many Americans are guilty of that as well. I'm not suggesting the two are the same, in fact that would go against every point in my argument, just pointing out how too general/vague the term "illegal" by itself is.

  7. #77
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Emotional outbursts aside, or a contest to decide the nastiest way to describe a human, I can't tell which, there is no single term which describes every single person who crosses the border illegally. The label has to reflect the reason they made that crossing, whether they are illegal aliens, drug smugglers, refugees, etc. While they have all certainly have violated the law by crossing the border in the first place, the term "illegal" by itself doesn't sit well with me. For one it personally brings to mind other single words used to simply dismiss and degrade people, as in to create an "other" who aren't treated with human respect, and in my opinion generally come from people who I suspect are passionate against illegal immigration not from an economic standpoint but from a cultural one. Secondly its entirely too general to have any meaning or use what-so-ever because if one of us were to actually think of a solution to this issue any practical one would have to acknowledge the different reasons people cross to begin with, the term doesn't do that. And lastly because the term "illegal" could be used to describe many American citizens, since to earn the title all the illegal aliens/immigrants/whatever you call them, had to do was do something illegal, well we know many Americans are guilty of that as well. I'm not suggesting the two are the same, in fact that would go against every point in my argument, just pointing out how too general/vague the term "illegal" by itself is.
    Which is why "illegal alien" is the best term/phrase. Because they are all aliens, since they are all legally citizens of another country, and they have all either entered or stayed in this country against our immigration laws or illegally.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #78
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    persons seeking the American dream

    we even have a statue with an inscription which reads:

    what makes my proposed expression incorrect?
    It's an inscription on a statue with no legal bearing.

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Someone who enters the United States as a noob is an immigrant. Someone who enters the United States does so illegally. Thus, the term "illegal immigrant."

    What's the problem with legally correct terminology?

  10. #80
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What is the best term to describe a person who unlawfully enters the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Someone who enters the United States does so illegally.
    Put who in the what, now?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •