View Poll Results: Should all ammunition be legal?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 56.41%
  • No

    17 43.59%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 238

Thread: Ammunition

  1. #181
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    .....what???



    good for you. I hope that it prepares you better to be a parent should you ever become one. However, until that happy day arrives, realize that you are a blind man describing a painting to someone who can see it.





    man, you really have no clue.



    fail. I've gone through two books on parenting advice and am working my way through a third. But I select such books carefully, with the advice of more experienced parents whom I trust and who appear to have been quality, successful parents themselves.
    All with apparent disregard to psychology.

  2. #182
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    You have just meet the definition of trolling then fine sir. You have also not read about how spanking provides nothing for your child but fear
    yes. that is because we were spanked ourselves, and have raised multiple children with spanking, and we know from personal experience that that claim is BS .

    Why do you want to give your child fear?
    in order to keep him safe. my three year old, for example, is scared of playing with knives, because I have assured him multiple times that if he plays with them, they can hurt him really bad. I am now trying to teach my younger son to fear that if he reaches for the toaster oven, his hand will get smacked; and by doing so I hope to teach him not to grab a hot oven without the more painful experience of grabbing a hot one. Telling someone who doesn't speak yet that grabbing a hot oven will overload his skin with the immediate application of heat resulting in severe burns isn't exactly effective parenting - it's setting your child up for failure.

    He does not associate the fear with running in-front of the car, he associates the fear with you...
    that is incorrect, as I can attest from personal experience. my child does not fear me, he fears pain that can occur if he behaves poorly or stupidly. when I was a child, I didn't fear my parents, I feared the result of misbehavior.

    Now, if I were to start imposing plain old beatings, as Goshin has described, as opposed to spankings, as he has already described, then you might become correct. the child wouldn't see a natural link between the behavior and the punishment. and that is why consistency and communication is important. when my three year old picks up a toy and hits his baby brother in the face with it, we go to the chart, we talk about what happened, we read off the misbehavior, and we read off the connected punishment; and he has the option to admit what he did and apologize (and lessen the punishment) or not.

    He see's the difference in punishment that flows from his behavior and I know that he does because he makes sure to mention it in his defense - right before he get's popped, he makes the point of saying "I told you the truth and didn't fight" and I say "yes, that's why I'm only going to pop you once" and he asks "hard?" and I say "no, not too hard, because you didn't fight". Then he comes up and turns around, I pop him once, and we hug and then he runs off to go back to playing. He used to try to lie his way out of it, and fight us during punishment (any punishment, time out, go to your room, you name it), and so we altered the rules to allow this in order to encourage good behavior. The kid ties the level of punishment to his behavior, and he altered his behavior accordingly.

    You don't even know my child, and you're going to tell me what he thinks?



    Not saying you are a fear monger-er or some sick ****, just someone who lacks perspective.
    um. you do realize that the only person in this conversation with zero perspective is you....?
    Last edited by cpwill; 10-12-11 at 11:17 PM.

  3. #183
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yes. that is because we were spanked ourselves, and have raised multiple children with spanking, and we know from personal experience that that claim is BS .



    in order to keep him safe. my three year old, for example, is scared of playing with knives, because I have assured him multiple times that if he plays with them, they can hurt him really bad. I am now trying to teach my younger son to fear that if he reaches for the toaster oven, his hand will get smacked; and by doing so I hope to teach him not to grab a hot oven without the more painful experience of grabbing a hot one. Telling someone who doesn't speak yet that grabbing a hot oven will overload his skin with the immediate application of heat resulting in severe burns isn't exactly effective parenting - it's setting your child up for failure.



    that is incorrect, as I can attest from personal experience. my child does not fear me, he fears pain that can occur if he behaves poorly or stupidly. when I was a child, I didn't fear my parents, I feared the result of misbehavior.

    You don't even know my child, and you're going to tell me what he thinks?





    um. you do realize that the only person in this conversation with zero perspective is you....?
    strawman.

    You were spanked yourself so therefore you found it socially acceptable to spank your child.

    So to keep your child safe you HAVE to hit him?

    From personel experience, are you providing the EXACT SAME parental/pure pressure/mental experience for your child that your parents provided for you?

    Again, I only provide a perspective, you merely have the perspective to insult it.

  4. #184
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,792

    Re: Ammunition

    This thread should be renamed

    PARENTING THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER



  5. #185
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    This thread should be renamed

    PARENTING THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
    lmao, turtle you are hilarious sometimes. <3

  6. #186
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    You have just meet the definition of trolling then fine sir. You have also not read about how spanking provides nothing for your child but fear. Why do you want to give your child fear? He does not associate the fear with running in-front of the car, he associates the fear with you... Not saying you are a fear monger-er or some sick ****, just someone who lacks perspective.

    I have this strange feeling my son would disagree with you. He's fifteen, 6'2" and built like a linebacker. I've been teaching him martial arts since he could walk, and since I'm getting old and out of shape he could probably beat my ass if he took a notion. He still obeys me out of respect, because he knows who loves him, he knows how hard it was being a single parent, and he knows that I raised him the way I did, not because it was easy but because I wanted him to have the best upbringing possible. He's said he plans to raise his own (as yet future potential) children the same way I raised him.

    The latter is not simply generational repetition without thought. We've discussed how some people don't believe in spanking children; we've talked about examples of terrible bratty kids we both know who were not disciplined when young. He wants his future children to be well-behaved and to understand that there are limits to what you can get away with before society smacks you down hard.


    He's very well adjusted, well-behaved but spirited with a huge sense of humor. Almost every teacher he's ever had has said they wished they had a classroom full just like him, as he is courteous, respectful and well-behaved. Other adults have remarked to me with awe at how mature he is, and how he conducts himself like a grown man. He has a steady girlfriend whom I approve of as she is neither a slut, booze-hound or druggie (I know her family AND her friends).

    He's already decided what he's going to do for a living and how he is going to get educated in his chosen occupation.

    When you've raised a child to near-adulthood with that level of success, then maybe you can criticize my methods. Until then you're an ivory-tower theorist who has read a few books.

    If you'd read a few books on "wild edible plants" but had never gone out in the woods and put theory to the test, I'd probably be hesitant to take your word on whether some berry or root was safe to eat or not. Get it?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #187
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    All with apparent disregard to psychology.
    no. we tried the no-spanking route for a bit. it just didn't actually work.

  8. #188
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ammunition

    When you've raised a child to near-adulthood with that level of success, then maybe you can criticize my methods. Until then you're an ivory-tower theorist who has read a few books.
    My parents didn't beat me and I am a well adjusted child.

  9. #189
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no. we tried the no-spanking route for a bit. it just didn't actually work.
    Maybe you just didn't try hard enough? I'm beginning to think questioning someones parenting is suicidal. Every parent is going to think they have raised their children the best.

  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    My parents didn't beat me and I am a well adjusted child.

    1. Spank, not beat.
    2. That's one example, and we have only your word for it.
    3. I said, in my first monologue about childrearing, that all children are different and that some do not require very many or any spankings, while others do.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •