View Poll Results: Should all ammunition be legal?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 56.41%
  • No

    17 43.59%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 238

Thread: Ammunition

  1. #101
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Ammunition

    Only for a moment. For gun owners. Today at the range a retired FBI agent told me the FBI and military do not use Hoppes No. 9, which I use, because it leaves a residue that becomes tacky and can becoming gummy in the barrel and in the trigger housing. That's the first time I've ever heard that.











    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #102
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,756

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Here's what I recommend:

    1. Place a sign on your mailbox and on your front door and have a similar one made for your car saying - "The occupant does not support the legal ownership of guns. The occupant does not own guns and is not armed." By doing this you might encourage others to follow suit. Put your money where you mouth is and walk the talk.

    2. Move to Canada.



    So, Phys251, will you stand up and be heard? Show the world you are a man of conviction? No, you won't. In the end you will hide behind people who do own guns. It's safer and you know it.
    What is up with the childish insults? Did your football team get smacked around this weekend or something?

    Nowhere on this thread have I revealed my position on gun rights, which is actually quite moderate. But the list of munitions that I gave, I would rather not fall into just anyone's hands. Would you?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #103
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Um. Did you see the poll results?



    And I was discussing the OP. Umadbro?



    Please take the childish insults elsewhere. kthxbai
    Let me clarify this thread, since you're apparently confused. Ammunition means pieces of metal that you shoot out of a gun. That's all anyone means by it. No one is arguing that civilians should have access to grenades, shells, chemical weapons, or whatever else you can come up with. Saying otherwise is a straw man, plain and simple.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  4. #104
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,756

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Let me clarify this thread, since you're apparently confused. Ammunition means pieces of metal that you shoot out of a gun. That's all anyone means by it. No one is arguing that civilians should have access to grenades, shells, chemical weapons, or whatever else you can come up with. Saying otherwise is a straw man, plain and simple.
    Actually that's not true.


    am·mu·ni·tion
       [am-yuh-nish-uhn] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the material fired, scattered, dropped, or detonated from any weapon, as bombs or rockets, and especially shot, shrapnel, bullets, or shells fired by guns.
    2. the means of igniting or exploding such material, as primers, fuzes, and gunpowder.
    3. any material, means, weapons, etc., used in any conflict: a crude ammunition of stones.


    I'm just going by the definition here. If the OP meant to refer to the specific type of ammo that is used in a gun, it should have been more specific.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #105
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Actually that's not true.


    am·mu·ni·tion
       [am-yuh-nish-uhn] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the material fired, scattered, dropped, or detonated from any weapon, as bombs or rockets, and especially shot, shrapnel, bullets, or shells fired by guns.
    2. the means of igniting or exploding such material, as primers, fuzes, and gunpowder.
    3. any material, means, weapons, etc., used in any conflict: a crude ammunition of stones.


    I'm just going by the definition here. If the OP meant to refer to the specific type of ammo that is used in a gun, it should have been more specific.
    The meaning of what someone says is more important then what is actually said. So yes it is still a strawman argument.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,756

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    The meaning of what someone says is more important then what is actually said. So yes it is still a strawman argument.
    "Should all ammunition be legal?" That is the OP. Nothing more. It is a red herring to get into an exegesis of that statement, and I will not do so.

    Seriously, I do not understand the point you guys are trying to make here. I gave a clear definition of "ammunition" and a partial statement on my position on the matter. Enough with these argumenta ad hominem already.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #107
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    What is up with the childish insults? Did your football team get smacked around this weekend or something?

    Nowhere on this thread have I revealed my position on gun rights, which is actually quite moderate. But the list of munitions that I gave, I would rather not fall into just anyone's hands. Would you?
    There was no insult intended. May we assume then that you don't mind people having guns you just don't want them to be able to obtain bullets?

    My team won. We beat Tennessee.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #108
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    "Should all ammunition be legal?" That is the OP. Nothing more. It is a red herring to get into an exegesis of that statement, and I will not do so.

    Seriously, I do not understand the point you guys are trying to make here. I gave a clear definition of "ammunition" and a partial statement on my position on the matter. Enough with these argumenta ad hominem already.
    Ok then. What is your stance on ammunition that is fired out of a gun?

  9. #109
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,756

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    There was no insult intended. May we assume then that you don't mind people having guns you just don't want them to be able to obtain bullets?

    My team won. We beat Tennessee.
    Dude.

    We're talking about two separate things. I was talking about any conceivable munition known to man. You, and apparently most of the others here, are strictly talking about ammo that goes inside guns. That's where the difference lies

    But since this thread has been hijacked, and it's all about me now, even though I didn't want it to be...I'm perfectly fine with law-abiding citizens keeping and bearing arms. Implied in that is that the guns can be armed. Most weapons up to and possibly including fully automatics, I think, should be permissible. I do think a line has to be drawn somewhere, but the Second Amendment IMO doesn't really clarify where that line is drawn.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  10. #110
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Ammunition

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Dude.

    We're talking about two separate things. I was talking about any conceivable munition known to man. You, and apparently most of the others here, are strictly talking about ammo that goes inside guns. That's where the difference lies

    But since this thread has been hijacked, and it's all about me now, even though I didn't want it to be...I'm perfectly fine with law-abiding citizens keeping and bearing arms. Implied in that is that the guns can be armed. Most weapons up to and possibly including fully automatics, I think, should be permissible. I do think a line has to be drawn somewhere, but the Second Amendment IMO doesn't really clarify where that line is drawn.
    Hey, you were the one who brought up all these other kinds of munitions.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •