View Poll Results: Should the GOP should fear the 99% movement

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely should fear it

    33 31.13%
  • Somewhat fear it

    9 8.49%
  • Fear it a little bit

    3 2.83%
  • Fear it a tiny bit

    3 2.83%
  • Absolutely nothing to fear

    47 44.34%
  • Don't know

    1 0.94%
  • Don't care

    6 5.66%
  • Other (explian)

    4 3.77%
Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 403

Thread: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

  1. #261
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955
    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    YEAH!

    Its clearly 1% screwing 80% with the help of 19%.
    So people who engage in international business, where their customers are all around the world and who typically seat their profits in the U.S, are screwing U.S. citizens?

    Posted from my phone
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #262
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so what-that rate is 15% which is lower than earned income for several reasons including RISK and the fact that inflation often robs the earnings of LONG term capital gains

    short term capital gains are taxed, for the rich, at 35%

    you do understand that most people have a lower rate on LTCG than salary income

    The rich pay the highest rate possible for like income
    The tax on capital gain is lower because it is a main income source of the rich and powerful who have used their influence and power to gain this discriminatory preference. All money which COMES IN to a persons pocket or account should be taxed as INCOME. To do otherwise is elitist and discriminatory in favor of class warfare on average workers.

    The statement that the rich pay the highest rate possible for like income is smoke and mirrors and a total misrepresentation of reality since it conveniently and dishonestly ignores the fact that such a larger portion of the income of the rich is intentionally taxed at a much lower rate because of its source - long term capital gains. Its a carefully parsed statement which is intended to fool the listener or reader.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #263
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,758

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The tax on capital gain is lower because it is a main income source of the rich and powerful who have used their influence and power to gain this discriminatory preference. All money which COMES IN to a persons pocket or account should be taxed as INCOME. To do otherwise is elitist and discriminatory in favor of class warfare on average workers.

    The statement that the rich pay the highest rate possible for like income is smoke and mirrors and a total misrepresentation of reality since it conveniently and dishonestly ignores the fact that such a larger portion of the income of the rich is intentionally taxed at a much lower rate because of its source - long term capital gains. Its a carefully parsed statement which is intended to fool the listener or reader.
    That is unfounded nonsense. YOu howl about making all sources of income treated equally yet you constantly support the rich paying higher rates on whatever income they receive while completely ignoring why some sorts of income are rationally treated differently-be it the double taxation dividends face or the inflationary dimunition of long term capital gains because you want to tax the rich more and more and more

    If you really want equality-which of course you do not-then support a consumption tax



  4. #264
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    This about . 001 % not 99% and they are goof and have no clue about what drives the economy or creates jobs.

    The are headed into a situation they will never win.

    Most of them can't even articulate why they are there or what they want.

    They are products of Obama's class Warfare messages.


    This will end in disaster and they will cause it because they are stupid spoiled idiots, who need to get a job sit down and shut the hell up.
    Your response is what gives the republican party a bad name
    This will end in disaster and they will cause it because they are stupid spoiled idiots, who need to get a job sit down and shut the hell up
    Your stereotyping all OWS demonstrators as
    stupid spoiled idiots
    , I am sure there is a large cross section of US citizens from the poor and unemployed to the economically sound demonstrating their discontent with the direction that our country has traveling over the last few generations.

    Americans not only have a right to express their views " 1st Amendment " they have a duty to do so. If ever we allow our 1st Amendment rights to be suppressed we will no longer be America.

  5. #265
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    That is unfounded nonsense. YOu howl about making all sources of income treated equally yet you constantly support the rich paying higher rates on whatever income they receive while completely ignoring why some sorts of income are rationally treated differently-be it the double taxation dividends face or the inflationary dimunition of long term capital gains because you want to tax the rich more and more and more

    If you really want equality-which of course you do not-then support a consumption tax
    We already have a consumption tax its called the capital gains tax, it taxes the money that anyone rich or poor makes from capital gains, I suspect you may not agree but we probably should increase the capital gains tax. Do I have a right to suggest that?

    Lets get back to the thread about whether the GOP is afraid of the OWS demonstrations, I think they are because if they were not why would they adamantly oppose people doing there civic duty "1st Amendment" and demonstrating against economic conditions that have our great country to it's knees?

  6. #266
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    That is unfounded nonsense. YOu howl about making all sources of income treated equally yet you constantly support the rich paying higher rates on whatever income they receive while completely ignoring why some sorts of income are rationally treated differently-be it the double taxation dividends face or the inflationary dimunition of long term capital gains because you want to tax the rich more and more and more

    If you really want equality-which of course you do not-then support a consumption tax
    No. It is 100% true. To give discriminatory preference and favoritism because of a different source of income is basically wrong. Once again - just like the discussion about college admission preferences - taking the side of what benefits one personally and completely disregarding any sort of across the board principle seems the only factor for this position.

    There is no
    "rationally treated differently'
    since all money coming in is income and is the same. This is pure power politics and the elite flexing its political muscle and power to benefit itself. The rest is lipstick on a pig.

    We have been through the double taxation business time and time and time again and it is well established that persons have a tax liability to pay. That would be corporations who the Supreme Court says are persons under the law and that would be individual humans who the SC says are persons. That is TWO DIFFERENT PERSONS paying two different taxes. If anyone does not like it, lobby the Supreme Court to rid the land of the corporate personhood standard.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #267
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    "Should the GOP should fear the 99% movement?"

    Yes, absolutely. The GOP is the political arm of the Corporatocracy that represents the 1%. This isn't even complicated and the Repubs know this might get laid bare for even the dullest to understand. This is why the Mass Media did not want to cover the story. Let's not discuss how things really work, eh?

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    "Should the GOP should fear the 99% movement?"

    Yes, absolutely. The GOP is the political arm of the Corporatocracy that represents the 1%. This isn't even complicated and the Repubs know this might get laid bare for even the dullest to understand. This is why the Mass Media did not want to cover the story. Let's not discuss how things really work, eh?


    Obama Doesn

  9. #269
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The majority of Democrats support those positions, but you are correct that we need to vote out the blue dog democrats that vote against the interest of the middle class.

    Most libertarians I've talked with are opposed to Wall Street buying politicians, just like the protesters.
    If I walk up and offer you $100 for a blow job and you deny the offer, then shame on me...and Im the bad guy. If you walk up and say..."hey...put that $100 away bitch, it will cost you at least $1000 and you have to give it to me all up front and if you DONT make this deal you WONT like the consequences long term" then where does your problem reside? You and others keep making this claim that 'the majority of democrats' are somehow pristine and opposed to Wall Street influence. Really? Who received the bulk of their campaign contributions? Who has ALWAYS been in bed with the people you claim they are 'against'? If you dont think the democrats are as corrupt as the republicans and arent responsible for creating the climate of corruption, you arent paying attention or are blinded by your partisanship.

  10. #270
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Does the GOP need to fear the 99% Movement?

    There is no such things a '99%' movement. There are a bunch of typical klowns claiming the name, but most assuredly do NOT represent the 99% of Americans they claim to. The top 50% in this country are doing quite well. At best they represent a percentage of the lower 50% who have always and will always blindly and mindless follow liberals and democrats. They run around with their head up their ass pretending democrats havent been in bed with Wall Street FOREVER. Anyone...ANYONE that claims this is a republican vs democrat issue is an idiot or is simply a mindless partisan hack. They spew populist rhetoric while ignoring factual realities. many of them are nothing more than foolish college kids bitching about their student loans...loans THEY took out FROM the banks to pay the UNIVERSITIES that charge them the tuition that they cant afford. And its the BANKS fault...right? Sound familiar? It should...its the same foolish excuses used by idiots that took out ARMs and home mortgages on properties they cant afford, then whine and cry about how its the BANKS fault...not their own stupidity. THEY wanted to buy the house, THEY went to the banks...but...its the BANKS fault. Some group of people...same excuses.

    No...the only reason why members of the GOP should 'fear' the '99%' is if enough of the idiots start following the violent rhetoric of the LA '99%' klowns. And if that happens...more than just the GOP should be concerned.

Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •