View Poll Results: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republicans

    11 31.43%
  • Democrats

    15 42.86%
  • Obama

    7 20.00%
  • I'm to dumb to have an opinion

    2 5.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

  1. #21
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    This was caused by the burst of the housing bubble. The burst of the housing bubble was caused by the bubble. That's what bubbles do; they burst. The housing bubble was caused by government policies, so the question becomes: who supported those policies? The answer is: (drum roll please) EVERYBODY! These policies were so popular among the voters that politicians in Washington, from BOTH parties, supported those policies in large numbers. For either party to blame the other is laughable.
    Many saw the Fannie/Freddie problem but were hindered from doing anything about it by democrats. President Obama was one of the folks pushing hard for banks to make the loans that caused much of our problems.

    I agree with VanceMack that the housing crisis was only part of the problem - it was essentially falsely propping up the rest of the economy in lieu of real production growth. Barring imperialism, if the expense of what we use is less than what we produce and make from others we succeed. If what we use is greater than what we produce and sell to others, we will decline.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  2. #22
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Many saw the Fannie/Freddie problem but were hindered from doing anything about it by democrats. President Obama was one of the folks pushing hard for banks to make the loans that caused much of our problems.

    I agree with VanceMack that the housing crisis was only part of the problem - it was essentially falsely propping up the rest of the economy in lieu of real production growth. Barring imperialism, if the expense of what we use is less than what we produce and make from others we succeed. If what we use is greater than what we produce and sell to others, we will decline.
    St. Ronnie shipped jobs overseas. His mantra "greed is good" is stil in vogue with Republicans. GWSoupForBrains inherited a $500 billion dollar surplus to start paying down the debt and it was a real plan. Instead he gave away the surplus to the wealthy and started two wars on the credit card. The lion's share of the blame will always rest on the shoulders of the man responsible for the "GWSoupForBrains Great Depression."

  3. #23
    User dumbasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-11 @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    60

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    If money doesn't trickle down as stated in the 1st item, how in the world does it trickle up?
    Money trickles up by the people of this country buying goods that are manufactered in ths country. That is the main problem in this economy, to much of what is sold in this country is not made in this country, and why is this going on, because of the free trade agreements.

  4. #24
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    I blame this economic depression on the Fed, the Dems, the Republicans, and Wall St. There are many similarities to the roles that each group played in the Great Depression to the roles they played in this current depression (What About Peace?: Is Another Depression Possible?: A Comparison of the Great Depression and Great Recession).
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  5. #25
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    GWSoupForBrains inherited a $500 billion dollar surplus to start paying down the debt and it was a real plan. "
    Actually, the debt was paid down and a surplus was passed to Bush by the Republican conservatives who controlled both the House and Senate from 1995 to 2000 under Newt Gingrich's "Contract With America".
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Actually, the debt was paid down and a surplus was passed to Bush by the Republican conservatives who controlled both the House and Senate from 1995 to 2000 under Newt Gingrich's "Contract With America".
    incorrect... no debt was paid down by anyone.

    despite claims of a budget surplus ( which is different from surplus of real monies), the debt increased.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    St. Ronnie shipped jobs overseas. His mantra "greed is good" is stil in vogue with Republicans. GWSoupForBrains inherited a $500 billion dollar surplus to start paying down the debt and it was a real plan. Instead he gave away the surplus to the wealthy and started two wars on the credit card. The lion's share of the blame will always rest on the shoulders of the man responsible for the "GWSoupForBrains Great Depression."
    Reagan shipped jobs overseas?....
    got substantiation?


    "greed is good" is a human mantra... greed has no political affiliation, period.


    back off of the political hackery and employ a bit of thought.. it's good for you, and for the rest of us.

  8. #28
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    incorrect... no debt was paid down by anyone.

    despite claims of a budget surplus ( which is different from surplus of real monies), the debt increased.
    Public Debt
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Republicans controlled the House and Senate from 1995 to 2000.
    1996 Debt Increased by 6.71%
    1997 Debt Increased by 3.37%
    1998 Debt Increased by 2.03%
    1999 Debt Increased by 2.88%
    2000 Debt Decreased by 1.97% (a product of the "Contract with America" led by Newt Gingrich in preceding years)

    in 2001 and 2002 the House and Senate were split and the debt grew by an average of 6.37% (9/11) and to a height of a 9.25% increase by 2003 when Republicans (not particularly conservative Republicans) regained a slight majority. Then the increase decreased (politician speak) gradually each year (9.25%, 8.55%, 7.56%, 6.24%) to 6.24% in 2006. The Democrats gained control of both House and Senate in 2007 (elected end of 2006) and in 2008 the increase in debt jumped from 6.32% in 2007 to 15.93% in 2008 another 15.06% in 2009 and another 13.92% in 2010. About a 52% increase in debt in just 3 years.
    Intergovernmental debt is a separate issue.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  9. #29
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,613

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    How pathetic is it that people blame 2 men...presidents...executives of legislation passed by congress for all the nations ills. Even MORE so that people blame a man elected 30 years ago and another that apparently was dumb as a load of bricks, yet smart enough to blow congresses mind for 8 years. A president that was stupid beyond words yet apparently managed to control both houses and elected officials...meanwhile the current president is powerless, even with party control over both houses pof congress for 2 years.

    You know what that says about Bush and Reagan? Nothing. But it speaks volumes about the myopic mindless partisan hacks that blame them for the worlds ills. Still.

  10. #30
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Where do we put the blame for the crisis in this country?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    How pathetic is it that people blame 2 men...presidents...executives of legislation passed by congress for all the nations ills. Even MORE so that people blame a man elected 30 years ago and another that apparently was dumb as a load of bricks, yet smart enough to blow congresses mind for 8 years. A president that was stupid beyond words yet apparently managed to control both houses and elected officials...meanwhile the current president is powerless, even with party control over both houses pof congress for 2 years.

    You know what that says about Bush and Reagan? Nothing. But it speaks volumes about the myopic mindless partisan hacks that blame them for the worlds ills. Still.
    You are absolutely right. All a President can really do about most of these issues is use his podium to engage the public. He should be able to point to a problem, pose a solution, and pursuade the public to put pressure on their congressmen. Rhetoric becomes useless after the election. That's what made Reagan an icon and why, in a more limited way, Bush2 was able to get done what he wanted. Clinton was poplular but Congress was pretty much out of his hands, and he sqandered his popularity defending himself. Obama had all the potential in the world to address real issues, but, apparently, either 1.) spent all his notoriety on the health care debacle; 2.) comes up with poor solutions to pose; or 3.) never had much credibility on his own within his own party.
    Last edited by GreenvilleGrows; 10-09-11 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •