View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    28 60.87%
  • Nay

    18 39.13%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 180

Thread: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I do not believe vigilantism is compatible with justice either.
    Then I'm glad I'm not a member of your family, because if I was and I was murdered and you didn't do something about it, I'd haunt you for the rest of your life.

  2. #62
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The death penalty is cheaper than housing someone for life? The death penalty does not and has not consumed innocent life? I'd like to see a bit of proof for that.
    who said it either of those werent true?


    I was disagreeing with your agreement that "The death penalty doesn't increase the safety of the public anymore than a life sentence w/p parole." which is false. But on your note, all convictions are sometimes wrong should we scrap law all together? and its more expensive because the system made it that way, fix the system
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    i guess not if you disregard the people that work in the prison has not public or people that escape or the nut jobs that have followers on the outside or are crime/gang/drug cartel/ terrorist bosses that give orders to people on the outside.

    if you disregard all that stuff i might agree.
    1. How many people with a life sentence kill others in prison?
    2. How many people with a life sentence escape and aren't caught immediately?
    3. If someone is taking orders by someone with a life sentence, it's likely that they would be taking orders from some else if the person were killed - that's how gangs, cartels, etc. work.

  4. #64
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. How many people with a life sentence kill others in prison?
    2. How many people with a life sentence escape and aren't caught immediately?
    3. If someone is taking orders by someone with a life sentence, it's likely that they would be taking orders from some else if the person were killed - that's how gangs, cartels, etc. work.
    1.) doesnt matter how many, it has and does happen therefore your statement is untrue
    2.) doesnt matter once they escape the present a danger to safety that could have been avoided
    3.) maybe but the fact remains people have been killed because of orders given from prisoners so again your statment is false in many way

    listen im not saying this stuff happens every 30 seconds all im saying is you made a statement that claims an absolute and therefore it is wrong
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Life in prison also guarantees no future crimes.
    Issues with a few things but wanted to touch specifically in this.

    It does not guarantee it. It just makes it far far more likely.

    1) Escape is possible (Though HIGHLY unlikely)
    2) Crimes against other inmates...rape, assult, murder, etc...is absolutely possible and are still a crime
    3) They can still work with those on the outside to conspire to commit crimes

    I'm not saying that's some kind of justification FOR the death penalty, but its incorrect to suggest life in prison guarantees no future crimes by the person

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    1.) doesnt matter how many, it has and does happen therefore your statement is untrue
    2.) doesnt matter once they escape the present a danger to safety that could have been avoided
    3.) maybe but the fact remains people have been killed because of orders given from prisoners so again your statment is false in many way
    1. Not really. You base your argument on - if we keep them alive, then they'll kill or hurt more people. Where's your evidence? People who get life without parole have a lot to lose by starting violence and people who get the death penalty don't, so it could be argued that the death penalty increases violence since they're going to die anyway and life decreases it since they don't want to spend their entire life in prison without any privileges.

    On the surface, your argument sounds good, but it doesn't really hold up since it can be turned around.

    2. If they don't harm anyone, then they aren't a proven threat to safety.

    3. It's not "maybe". A gang leader dying in no way stops the gang from issuing orders, so your point is irrelevant.

    listen im not saying this stuff happens every 30 seconds all im saying is you made a statement that claims an absolute and therefore it is wrong
    That's weird because at first you said that I had written an opinion and that you had no opinion on whether or not it was right or wrong. Now I'm wrong. Interesting

  7. #67
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    didnt say it was or wasnt rare all im saying is that it does happen and there for it makes the statement untrue.
    It does happen, but not on an aggregated level that would excuse the death penalty. The use of the death penalty innately consumes innocent life. The focus should be on the minimization of that and as such, in our modern world the use of the death penalty has become archaic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    and i think its sad to write off prison guards as nonpublic. Yes technically they are not the public but their lives have value. What about visiting parole board members, or nurses, doctors, therapist, religion clergy, teachers etc are they also nonpublic?
    Government workers do not make up the aggregated public. That is a statement of fact.

    regardless the statement is false even if its .0001% different [/QUOTE]
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #68
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Then I'm glad I'm not a member of your family, because if I was and I was murdered and you didn't do something about it, I'd haunt you for the rest of your life.
    Well I'd just call in Scooby Doo to find out that it's not really you haunting me, but old man Jenkins who was upset that my dog pooed on his lawn.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #69
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    who said it either of those werent true?


    I was disagreeing with your agreement that "The death penalty doesn't increase the safety of the public anymore than a life sentence w/p parole." which is false. But on your note, all convictions are sometimes wrong should we scrap law all together? and its more expensive because the system made it that way, fix the system
    It's true on all statistical levels though. Life sentence without parole does not significantly increase the dangers to the aggregated public.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #70
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. Not really. You base your argument on - if we keep them alive, then they'll kill or hurt more people. Where's your evidence? People who get life without parole have a lot to lose by starting violence and people who get the death penalty don't, so it could be argued that the death penalty increases violence since they're going to die anyway and life decreases it since they don't want to spend their entire life in prison without any privileges.
    1.) listen dont be dishonest people in prison commit crimes against others in prison whether it be inmates or faculty thats just a fact your later argument is true some might do that, again that would be a problem with the system not DP. ANd also they could do it LONGER if they are alive.

    and no it cant be turned around because my augment is against your STILL false statement.

    On the surface, your argument sounds good, but it doesn't really hold up since it can be turned around.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    2. If they don't harm anyone, then they aren't a proven threat to safety.
    more dishonesty even if they dont its not equal, dead = no chance of escaping and harming people, alive = possible
    again your statement is false because you misspoke in absolutes

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    3. It's not "maybe". A gang leader dying in no way stops the gang from issuing orders, so your point is irrelevant.
    and yet even a 3rd point of dishonesty. actually it could or it could let the same guy live on and give orders for even longer. Or maybe while this guy is alive he decides to go on an all out war the whole time he is alive?

    like i said your statement is factually wrong on many levels and thats just reality, to deny that is just silly


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    That's weird because at first you said that I had written an opinion and that you had no opinion on whether or not it was right or wrong. Now I'm wrong. Interesting
    and yet MORE dishonesty or just a bold face lie, pick one

    what i actually said is that your OPINION on DP being about revenge and arrogance is just an opinion vs people's opinion thinkin its about safety.

    THOSE are both opinions that i will neither call right nor wrong

    What i am currently calling wrong NOW because it factually is, is your statement you made posts LATER "The death penalty doesn't increase the safety of the public anymore than a life sentence w/p parole."

    thats what I am calling wrong now, nice try though
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •