View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    28 60.87%
  • Nay

    18 39.13%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 180

Thread: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    you are correct that it is NOT a deterrent. statistics absolutely prove that. what's left is vengeance.
    You say that as if there's something wrong with Vengence/Justice.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    what's left is vengeance.
    Which I do not view as a proper attribute of justice.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #43
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    You say that as if there's something wrong with Vengence/Justice.
    Vengeance is not compatible with justice.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #44
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    you are correct that it is NOT a deterrent. statistics absolutely prove that. what's left is vengeance.
    statistics do not prove that at all, they make it open to debate of HOW MUCH a deterrent it is but it is a deterrent.
    There are people that say they fear the death penalty so they dont do certain crimes as long as those people excists it could be argued that it IS a deterrent.


    BUT i admit NEITHER side should talk in absolutes because either absolute will make you wrong
    also vengeance is an opinion. and YES some people want that but not all.
    Last edited by AGENT J; 10-07-11 at 01:54 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Vengeance is not compatible with justice.
    I totally disagree. In many cases Vengence is the only reasonable form of Justice, and if the Government fails to impose it, then it is up to the victim or their family/friends to take it if necessary.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Are you for or against capital punishment?

    State your reasons.
    Not for it. The justice system should be about safety, the death penalty is about revenge and arrogance. I'm not interested in either.

  7. #47
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Not for it. The justice system should be about safety, the death penalty is about revenge and arrogance. I'm not interested in either.
    thats on opinion and others have the opinion it is about safety

    not saying either is right or wrong just saying
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #48
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Why I'm against the death penalty:

    Executions cost more than life in prison.
    The innocent may be wrongly executed.
    Is not a deterrent; crime rates have not gone down.
    Life in prison also guarantees no future crimes.
    Killing is wrong.
    Many Death Row inmates were convicted while being defended by court-appointed lawyers who are often the worst-paid and most-inexperienced and least-skillful lawyers.
    Violates international human rights laws.
    No longer practiced in most sophisticated societies.
    Promotes killing as an OK solution to a difficult problem.
    Death sentences are handed down arbitrarily, not in a fair manner.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I totally disagree. In many cases Vengence is the only reasonable form of Justice, and if the Government fails to impose it, then it is up to the victim or their family/friends to take it if necessary.
    Incorrect. Justice requires the absence of emotion. Cold logic used to weigh evidence and decide if one has violated the rights of others. Vengeance is bred through emotion and thus open to all the pitfalls emotion brings. It has no place in proper Justice.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #50
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Why I'm against the death penalty:

    Executions cost more than life in prison.
    The innocent may be wrongly executed.
    Is not a deterrent; crime rates have not gone down.
    Life in prison also guarantees no future crimes.
    Killing is wrong.
    Many Death Row inmates were convicted while being defended by court-appointed lawyers who are often the worst-paid and most-inexperienced and least-skillful lawyers.
    Violates international human rights laws.
    No longer practiced in most sophisticated societies.
    Promotes killing as an OK solution to a difficult problem.
    Death sentences are handed down arbitrarily, not in a fair manner.
    since many others have been addressed i wanted to talk about this one
    life in prison SOMETIMES stops future crimes it most certainly does not gurantee it, a lot of time inmates commit crimes IN PRISION drugs, weapons, assult and more murder, some times guards etc.

    also what "life in prison" are you talking about. Sometimes life can be 25years with chance of parole in 7 or 13 etc. and sometimes these people commit crimes again when they get out.

    also murder rates are the lowest they have been in 40 years numbers wise, percentage wise it maybe some of the lowest ever, id have to check
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •