View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    28 60.87%
  • Nay

    18 39.13%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 180

Thread: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

  1. #31
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    I am opposed to capital punishment for several reasons.

    First and foremost, I think that life imprisonment without parole is more of a deterrent. I think it is a form of premeditated murder from a moral viewpoint, and not befitting a country that values human rights. We are one of only a hand full of despotic nations left that still uses capital punishment.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #32
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    There are some crimes so monstrous and some criminals so dangerous that the only way to insure they will never commit a crime again is to kill them. I think the standards of proof in a death penalty case need to be considerably higher than in one where it is not on the table though.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #33
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    Wrong:

    1. Costs way more than keeping the prisoner in prison for life
    2. Is used to cases where there is reasonable doubt of the prisoner's guilt (Troy Davis)
    3. Is proven to not deter violent crime or crime in general
    4. Is disproportionately given to minorities

    There is no positive effect of executing a prisoner other than the emotional satisfaction some people get from knowing the prisoner is killed.
    1.) this is a problem with the system, not the DP
    2.) your opinion, and ALL law penalties have at times gotten it wrong, again this is a problem with the system not the DP, should we scrap all laws too? of course not
    3.) this is a false statement, some countries states the dont have the death penalty have lower crime, some also have higher if you have conclusive evidence id love to read it and then i would just show you clips of people saying they fear the death penalty and its a factor in why they dont do crime. My point is it hasnt been proven and is a false statement, what could be argued is HOW MUCH of a deterrent it is but it could NEVER be said that it isnt one one at all.
    4.) again another problem with the system and not DP
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Hummmm, coulda swore I saw the word "unfortunately" used a couple times.

    Ok then, your argument is that the DP should not be used because it's not an equal trade. I'd assume you think the same as prison, so does that mean you oppose prison as well? Really, if we just blithely dismiss the victim with an "oh well, nothing we can do about that now", then no punishment should ever be imposed since no punishment will actually ever bring the murdered back,
    This is not an attempt to honestly debate but rather you just going out of your way to be intentionally obtuse so as to argue against a misrepresentation of what the person is saying instead of what they're ACTUALLY saying.

    The poster is stating that the death of someone who murdered their family member is not an "equal" trade in regards to the loss of their loved one. As such, there's not some magical 1:1 ratio where their death is equal to your family members death and therefore you're somehow, in some twisted way, being "pro-life" by killing the person and winding up with 2 people dead instead of 1.

    Because its not equal in such a bizarre and ****ed up way, killing the person would not qualify as being "pro-life" to that person.

    Killing the perpetrator doesn't return the person that died to life...it just kills another person. To them, since there's no some kind of equal trade between the two, then attempting to say that one death justifies the other death and thus its actually PRO-Life is ridiculous.

    And I agree. I support the death penatly but its ****ing ridiculous to suggest that it is a "pro-life" stance. It kills someone. Doesn't matter the reason. Aren't we always told the reason doesn't matter with abortions, it just matters that you're killing. Suddenly somehow the reason DOES matter here though, and one can be PRO-life by ending a life? Yeah, that doesn't work. You're Pro-Life in specific circumstance. There's nothing wrong with that, but its absolutely laughable that you're trying to suggest instead you're actually consistantly pro-life.

    I get that you think that by having the deterrent of the death penalty it saves lives. That said, it doesn't change the fact that it also actively, by choice not simply by circumstance, KILLS people which is unequestionably not a "pro-life" stance.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    When you drop a $100 bill, do you take a single out of your pocket and burn it?
    Losing one type of money means losing another type of money is Pro-Not losing money! SUCCESS!

  6. #36
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    I'm against the death penalty. It's not a deterrent, I don't believe justice should be revenge, it's failure mode is that innocent people are executed by the State (which has happened), it's more expensive than housing a man for life (and I guess it damned well should be, so maybe I'm not mad about that one), there's really no need for it in our modern society.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    YEA: As for why.... please show me an executed criminal who has ever cost the taxpayers more money after he was executed, or who has gone on to commit another crime of any type.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    I support the Death Penalty. I acknolwedge it can make mistakes; I do think that's the minority and I think essentially that on the grand scale of things the benefits far, far outweight the occasionally things that slip through the cracks. Would it be absolutely horrible if it as someone I loved that was one who slipped through the cracks? Absolutely...but that's taking it from an emotional stand point. I view it in the same way that I would support killing an innocent child if it meant saving 100 people. Its not a good thing, it may not be a moral thing, its definitely not a happy thing, or something I'd want to do myself or want to have happen to my child...but when I make myself remove that emotional twinge and just think honestly from a macro stand point it just makes sense.

    Now, that said...I would much rather simply create a step up from the normal life sentence which would be Life Solitary and replace the death penalty with that. Or perhaps something like "Hard" Life where you may still have some interaction with people but your lifestyle within the prison is far more barebones...no access to TV/computer, no access to books, significantly reduced time in the yard, etc. Essentially an even worse experience than even normal life in prisonment for those crimes that would normally be worthy of the death penalty. The reason I say this is because due to the ridiculous issues regarding appeals and such the cost is actually greater to put a prisoner to death then to keep them alive for life, I think the harsher type of penalty would act as the greater type of deterrent you'd lose without the death penalty, and it'd fix the issue of it not being reversable.

  9. #39
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm against the death penalty. It's not a deterrent, I don't believe justice should be revenge, it's failure mode is that innocent people are executed by the State (which has happened), it's more expensive than housing a man for life (and I guess it damned well should be, so maybe I'm not mad about that one), there's really no need for it in our modern society.
    you are correct that it is NOT a deterrent. statistics absolutely prove that. what's left is vengeance.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #40
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I support the Death Penalty. I acknolwedge it can make mistakes; I do think that's the minority and I think essentially that on the grand scale of things the benefits far, far outweight the occasionally things that slip through the cracks
    That means innocent people die at the hands of the State. It's a very harsh failure mode. And if you push it too hard, the failure rate goes up. The model of our system was to REDUCE the amount of innocent people in jail/being punished by the State. That's why all burden of proof is on the State, not the individual. I don't find that currently the death penalty fits with that model.

    What benefits are derived from the death penalty that aren't derived through proper incarceration?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •