View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    28 60.87%
  • Nay

    18 39.13%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 180 of 180

Thread: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

  1. #171
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Most of these idiots do better in jail than they do on the outside. I want prison to be horrible, somewhere no one in their right mind would ever want to go for any reason. I want hard physical labor, absolutely no perks, etc. Make it so terrible that people would rather go straight than have any chance at all going to prison. Bet you'd see the prison population drop real quick.
    Prison should NOT be horrible. The primary goal of a correctional facility should be to reform, not to punish. Convicts can pay for their crime literally through deductions out of their paychecks, after they are released and placed in a job with a living wage.

    What most undermines rehabilitation, and turns otherwise salvageable convicts into hardened criminals, is the presence of incorrigibles who interfere with those inmates who are making a sincere effort to reform. This is precisely why the incorrigible inmates have to go, and I don't mean to some supermax money pit. We should not waste our time and tax revenue on the irredeemable.

  2. #172
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Most of these idiots do better in jail than they do on the outside. I want prison to be horrible, somewhere no one in their right mind would ever want to go for any reason. I want hard physical labor, absolutely no perks, etc. Make it so terrible that people would rather go straight than have any chance at all going to prison. Bet you'd see the prison population drop real quick.
    you know why this wont happen?
    because it makes to much damn common sense.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #173
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-26-11 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    171

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Are you for or against capital punishment?

    State your reasons.
    I'm against it for the simple reason that it seems not to be worth the legal trouble/cost to taxpayers. I know that here in Washington State, executing some one generally costs taxpayers more than putting them away for life. Not sure about other states....

  4. #174
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Prison should NOT be horrible. The primary goal of a correctional facility should be to reform, not to punish. Convicts can pay for their crime literally through deductions out of their paychecks, after they are released and placed in a job with a living wage.

    What most undermines rehabilitation, and turns otherwise salvageable convicts into hardened criminals, is the presence of incorrigibles who interfere with those inmates who are making a sincere effort to reform. This is precisely why the incorrigible inmates have to go, and I don't mean to some supermax money pit. We should not waste our time and tax revenue on the irredeemable.
    Prison must, to be valid, perform three functions. It must protect society from the criminal, it must punish the guilty and it must make the criminal ready to rejoin society. If prison doesn't do all three of those, then prison is not the proper place for the criminal to be.

    White collar criminals who are not harming society don't belong in prison, they can be punished another way.
    Life-without-possibility-of-parole criminals will never get out, thus there's no reason to keep them breathing. Execute them.
    Most criminals, however, do re-offend, thus prison isn't sufficiently punishing them if they're trying to return there. Prison should be a hell-hole, it should make anyone who goes through the prison system do anything they can to keep from ever going back.

    Currently it doesn't.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #175
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    it must punish the guilty
    I disagree. Punishment is counterproductive to rehabilitation. Convicts should literally pay for their crimes by making restitution to their victims after they have been rehabilitated and placed in gainful employment.

    Most criminals, however, do re-offend, thus prison isn't sufficiently punishing them if they're trying to return there. Prison should be a hell-hole, it should make anyone who goes through the prison system do anything they can to keep from ever going back.
    Convicts reoffend because they have either not been properly rehabilitated (which is the case most of the time) or are incorrigible. The incorrigible convicts should be euthanized.

  6. #176
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    The incorrigible convicts should be euthanized.
    Euthanized? That word carries a lot of baggage.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Euthanized? That word carries a lot of baggage.
    Have a bullet put in their head. Better?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #178
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Euthanized? That word carries a lot of baggage.
    But when put into action, it unloads a lot of baggage.

  9. #179
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    But when put into action, it unloads a lot of baggage.
    hardy har har

  10. #180
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    BUMP

    ....because I have been banned from the other DP thread.

    I am the foremost authority on the subject. Therefore, to discuss the issue without me is to do yourself a profound disservice. Just the same, to cower from the possibility of having your position overwhelmingly challenged would still be a profound disservice to yourself: Even if you spare your ego a few bruises, you will still miss out on enlightenment.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •