View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    28 60.87%
  • Nay

    18 39.13%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 180

Thread: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

  1. #161
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Death row inmates typically do NOT commit more crimes than lifers due to the fact that they are under tighter security and are kept separate from general pop.

    Lifers, on the other hand, are notorious for committing all sorts of heinous offenses, including murder, maiming, rape, extortion---even organized hits on civilians outside of prison. Why? Because they have nothing to lose. They cannot get more time than "life without parole."
    But these "hits" are generally against other criminals... so who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #162
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    But these "hits" are generally against other criminals... so who cares?
    Actually, these hits are quite often against innocent civilians whose only connection to the perpetrator is in being related to someone with whom the perp has an issue.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Actually, these hits are quite often against innocent civilians whose only connection to the perpetrator is in being related to someone with whom the perp has an issue.
    Stats? I know that my friends on the force don't mention this. They talk about another scum bucket that got tagged due to a hit and that's about it. I know that I have never looked it up, and I am sure that an innocent person is hurt or killed from time to time, but I would doubt that it is "quite often".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #164
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Stats? I know that my friends on the force don't mention this. They talk about another scum bucket that got tagged due to a hit and that's about it. I know that I have never looked it up, and I am sure that an innocent person is hurt or killed from time to time, but I would doubt that it is "quite often".
    What would satisfy your definition of "quite often"?

    To be honest, I'm not certain of the exact stats, nor am I interested in researching it. It is doubtful that such stats could even be accurate since the perpetrators of such crime are not likely to leave a note next to the body stating "Just so you know, this murder was orchestrated by a convict serving a life sentence. Be sure to record it as such in your crime stats."

    I do know that it happens. It is often related to prison gang activity, and it is likely being schemed in one or more maximum security prisons in the U.S., right now as you are reading this post. I also know that it would happen less if such lifers were put to death before they had a chance to even consider such a scheme.

  5. #165
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Supposedly, there are about 3,250 on death row. Supposely, there are about 7.5 million adults (3% of the population) were under correctional supervision (probation, parole, jail, prison) - about 1.5 million or so of those are in prison (plus another million or so juveniles). I don't think that tracking the ongoing crime from 3,000 on death row would be statistically possible within 7,000,000 criminals commiting crimes from places other than death row (not including those criminals who have never been or are no longer under correctional supervision). Something like 140,000 inmates are serving life in prison.

    A study done several years ago by the Bureau of Justice Statistics said 56% of the violent felons convicted had a prior conviction, and that when the felons committed the new crime, 18 percent were on probation, 12 percent on release pending disposition of a prior case and 7 percent were on parole.

    Clearly recidivism is a big problem. Commit a pre-meditated murder? Actual death penalty should be on the table. Want to plea bargin down from something to save court costs and time? Start there.

    On death row already? Seems like there's an obvious way to fix that...
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  6. #166
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    When you drop a $100 bill, do you take a single out of your pocket and burn it?
    No, but neither do I take a dollar out and lock it in a drawer.

  7. #167
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This is not an attempt to honestly debate but rather you just going out of your way to be intentionally obtuse so as to argue against a misrepresentation of what the person is saying instead of what they're ACTUALLY saying.

    The poster is stating that the death of someone who murdered their family member is not an "equal" trade in regards to the loss of their loved one. As such, there's not some magical 1:1 ratio where their death is equal to your family members death and therefore you're somehow, in some twisted way, being "pro-life" by killing the person and winding up with 2 people dead instead of 1.

    Because its not equal in such a bizarre and ****ed up way, killing the person would not qualify as being "pro-life" to that person.

    Killing the perpetrator doesn't return the person that died to life...it just kills another person. To them, since there's no some kind of equal trade between the two, then attempting to say that one death justifies the other death and thus its actually PRO-Life is ridiculous.

    And I agree. I support the death penatly but its ****ing ridiculous to suggest that it is a "pro-life" stance. It kills someone. Doesn't matter the reason. Aren't we always told the reason doesn't matter with abortions, it just matters that you're killing. Suddenly somehow the reason DOES matter here though, and one can be PRO-life by ending a life? Yeah, that doesn't work. You're Pro-Life in specific circumstance. There's nothing wrong with that, but its absolutely laughable that you're trying to suggest instead you're actually consistantly pro-life.

    I get that you think that by having the deterrent of the death penalty it saves lives. That said, it doesn't change the fact that it also actively, by choice not simply by circumstance, KILLS people which is unequestionably not a "pro-life" stance.
    Hey, Zyphlin, show me where I even claimed I was pro-life anywhere in this thread. I've even said in other threads that I cannot be considered pro life because of my stance on the death penalty. Sorry if that's just too inconsistent for you, but it is honest. If you all can't figure out why I see a difference between a baby and a convicted killer, I'll never be able to explain it. Details matter to me. So ****ing sue me.

  8. #168
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-12-11 @ 09:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    I honestly think harsh punishments should be set in place for real criminals. Criminals actually enjoy being in jail. They get 3 meals a day! And they usually end up back in jail so we need to start teaching them a lesson. Im sick of paying money for criminals to be happy.

  9. #169
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative420 View Post
    I honestly think harsh punishments should be set in place for real criminals. Criminals actually enjoy being in jail. They get 3 meals a day! And they usually end up back in jail so we need to start teaching them a lesson. Im sick of paying money for criminals to be happy.
    It's not just the 3 meals... it's the television, it's the guaranteed porn (in some places), it's their socializations, and gang relationships they make on the inside. I just saw ... show called bait car. Cops set up this car in various places and make it tempting - invariably some shmoe comes out checks it out and drives away with it. This last one had two absolute winners...

    1. A guy and his 18 month old and some other dude look over the car - initially decide against it then see the speakers in the back and change their minds. The guy puts his 18 month old daughter in the back seat, straps her in with the fold up stroller and obviously gets nabbed.

    2. This guy looks just like a regular shmoe, gets in the car gets nabbed and the cops have him cuffed on the front of the car and asks if he has any priors - been to jail (meanwhile the camera shows gang tats all over the guy), he says yeah but never for grand theft. They pull his record - 18 priors, assault, 4 different grand theft counts, robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, firearms charges, etcetc... When confronted with this he gets mad and just says, "take me to jail".

    The first guy was young - maybe early 19-22 years old. The second guy in his 40's been around and in jail apparently most of his life. Neither one looked worried, weren't necessarily shocked they were caught, didn't really have a problem getting caught and knew they'd be spending time in the pokey - just had no care about it whatsoever. They're reaction was about the same as if they said they were going to change their shirt and be right back. The point here is, yes, it's way to easy. I know how these other television programs show how tough it is on the inside... I disagree... if it were tough they'd never want to go back again.

    My solution: Put them to work - hard labor for the "greater good". They get to work their sentence off 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for years of course, in a humane way, with meals, health care, rest days, etc. When they leave prison they have a skill they may be able to use outside... it's a win win.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #170
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Most of these idiots do better in jail than they do on the outside. I want prison to be horrible, somewhere no one in their right mind would ever want to go for any reason. I want hard physical labor, absolutely no perks, etc. Make it so terrible that people would rather go straight than have any chance at all going to prison. Bet you'd see the prison population drop real quick.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •