View Poll Results: Death Penalty: Yea or Nay?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    28 60.87%
  • Nay

    18 39.13%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 180

Thread: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Objective View Post
    maybe it doesnt in fantasy land but in reality it does. LMAO
    it actually doesn't in reality.

    Your argument is that because a living person could commit a crime and a dead person can't, then the death penalty increases the safety of society. However, your argument doesn't take into account the incentives a person with a life sentence has to NOT commit a crime - incentives that a person sentenced to death does not have. You have provided no statistics and no study to say that life sentences lead to increased crime.

    But I have a feeling that you are unable to see this error, so I'll just end my post with the response you always give to posts that you do not understand: LMAO.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    What I think you're missing playdrive is that with the DEAD criminal there is a GUARANTEE that there will be no more crimes committed. Additionally, there is no added cost to the tax payers for housing that corpse. The live prisoner requires funds to be spent to incarcerate him/her and does provide the potential for future criminal activity.

  3. #103
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    it actually doesn't in reality.

    Your argument is that because a living person could commit a crime and a dead person can't, then the death penalty increases the safety of society. However, your argument doesn't take into account the incentives a person with a life sentence has to NOT commit a crime - incentives that a person sentenced to death does not have. You have provided no statistics and no study to say that life sentences lead to increased crime.

    But I have a feeling that you are unable to see this error, so I'll just end my post with the response you always give to posts that you do not understand: LMAO.
    WOW can you smell the desperation. You have nothing else so you end with a failed attempt at an insult LOL. Very telling and predictable.

    those incentives are meaningless since they do not stop people from committing crimes and death would, no need to consider them since the fact remains people with life in prison still commit crimes LMAO :Shrug:

    Also please stop trying to side track my point I wont let you, my only argument is that your statement is wrong and that isnt my opinion its a fact already proven. So there no error at all because theres nothing you posted above that changes the fact
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Objective View Post
    those incentives are meaningless since they do not stop people from committing crimes and death would,
    How do you know the incentives don't stop people from committing crimes whereas a prisoner who knows he's going to die will commit crimes before he dies since he has nothing to lose?

    people with life in prison still commit crimes
    That's an absolute. So you're saying all people with life in prison still commit crimes. Prove it. In fact, just prove the majority do.

    Also, if you can prove that the # of crimes committed by those with life sentences is greater than the number of crimes committed by those on death row, then you will have proved your point. If you can't do that, all you have is an opinion.

  5. #105
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-07-11 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Honestly I could care less what crimes a person has committed. Its 2011, the death penalty is nothing more than a barbaric way to deal with crime. As a nation we are no better than the criminal if we willingly allow our tax dollars to go toward the killing of another human being. No matter how "civilized" we think we are. It's the 21st century its time we started acting like it.
    Last edited by southernliberal; 10-07-11 at 08:36 PM.

  6. #106
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1.)How do you know the incentives don't stop people from committing crimes whereas a prisoner who knows he's going to die will commit crimes before he dies since he has nothing to lose?


    2.)That's an absolute. So you're saying all people with life in prison still commit crimes. Prove it. In fact, just prove the majority do.

    Also, if you can prove that the # of crimes committed by those with life sentences is greater than the number of crimes committed by those on death row, then you will have proved your point. If you can't do that, all you have is an opinion.
    1.) because its a fact that people still commit crimes and nobody ever said that a person who is going to die wont commit any crimes, he very well could but after he is dead it will be impossible. again no impact to the facts or your wrong statement.

    2.) nope sorry never said all or even the majority do I just said people, but if you would like me to clarify because you feel it was on clear ill say SOME people LMAO nice try with the dishonesty. only 1% of people is needed and your statement is again false LOL

    3.) I dont need to do that, dead people cant commit crimes thats all the proof that is needed, again this has nothing to do with my opinion no matter how bad you want it too LMAO my opinion is meaningless because the fact is dead cant and living can
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Objective View Post
    1.) because its a fact that people still commit crimes and nobody ever said that a person who is going to die wont commit any crimes, he very well could but after he is dead it will be impossible. again no impact to the facts or your wrong statement.
    You either really don't understand what I'm saying or you're being incredibly dishonest. So I'll repeat it one last time in a clearer way.

    The safety of the public (including those in prison) is NOT improved by the death penalty if those on death row commit more crimes before they are executed than those with life sentences commit for the entire time that they are in prison.

  8. #108
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    So, if you think it is good that murderer is dead, then you say that when a murderer dies. How do you find someone dieing a good thing?

  9. #109
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You either really don't understand what I'm saying or you're being incredibly dishonest. So I'll repeat it one last time in a clearer way.

    The safety of the public (including those in prison) is NOT improved by the death penalty if those on death row commit more crimes before they are executed than those with life sentences commit for the entire time that they are in prison.
    nope its just you having a bias shallow view. No dishonesty at all thats ll been on your end.

    1.)your original statement is wrong thats just a plain fact.
    2.) are you now trying to say that IF we lived in a fantasy world where people that knew they were going to die committed on avg 5 crimes while in prison

    and

    that people that just knew they were going to spend their life in prison only committed 2 crimes for the rest of their lives that keeping them would make us safer?

    well THAT might be true if it was reality??? LOL

    tell me again what this has to do with your false statement???
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Death Penalty: Right or Wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Objective View Post
    No dishonesty at all thats ll been on your end.
    So then you really just don't understand. Oh well, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

    I'll say it again: The safety of the public (including those in prison) is NOT improved by the death penalty if those on death row commit more crimes before they are executed than those with life sentences commit for the entire time that they are in prison. The fact is, the incentives for an LS inmate to not commit crimes are much greater than the incentives for a DP inmate to not do so. Your unwillingness to acknowledge those incentives suggests that you reject any reality that contradicts your own worldview.

    What you have is a hypothesis - a very logical hypothesis that many people agree with. However, at the end of the day it's still just a hypothesis and many well liked logical hypotheses have been proven wrong in the past. That you are unwilling to substantiate that hypothesis with evidence illustrates your lack of interest in honest debate. And it's funny because if you would provide evidence, I'd accept it.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •