View Poll Results: Should President Obama be Impeached?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    79 60.31%
  • No

    52 39.69%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

  1. #71
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No, he shouldn't be impeached. I think that this highlights a problem in our legal system that needs to be fixed. Obviously it isn't always possible to arrest someone and bring them to trial if they are living abroad, American citizen or not. So the options are kill them or leave them alone. I'm not comfortable with the president being able to unilaterally target American citizens for assassination, but our legal system didn't give him any other option.
    I agree. This US citizen willingly joined a global terrorist organization aimed at inflicting death and destruction upon America and her people, he rose to the upper hierarchy in this terrorist organization, and engaged in the planning and support of terror strikes. In plain language, he was an al-Qaeda combatant commander.

    His fiefdom was the tribal lands of north/eastern Yemen, a large area that is not under the control of the Yemen government. Neither the Yemenite military nor foreigners are allowed/tolerated in this territory. In this respect, it is similar to the lawless frontier provinces in Pakistan where al-Qaeda/Haqqani terrorists plan attacks against international forces in Afghanistan. For many years the higher AQ/HN operatives in Pakistan have been targeted by US drones.

    What we have here then is an American-born enemy combatant commander who is not approachable on the ground by police/military assets. The only way to neutralize this deadly threat is via a Hellfire missile fired from a Predator drone. An Executive Order to locate and kill this terrorist renegade was issued by the CIC. This was not a secret document. It was available to all branches of the US government, all legal entities public and private, and the American public. His violent death should come as a surprise to no one. The writing was on the proverbial wall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What I would like to see is a "trial in abstentia" by a judge and jury who have access to classified information. Obama would then have to prove three things to the judge and jury: 1) Awlaki had committed a felony, 2) Awlaki was still a threat to the national security of the United States, and 3) Awlaki couldn't be arrested and extradited by normal means. If the judge/jury signed off on it, then Obama would have free reign to hunt him down with Predator drones. If they said no, then he wouldn't. Such a system wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a big step forward from what we currently have, where the president gets to pick and choose who he wants to kill without any oversight whatsoever.
    I've searched and as far as I can determine, "Trial in Absentia" is virtually unknown in the US legal system. The Supreme Court has denied previous requests, the latest being an effort to prosecute Roman Polanski in Absentia. But I do agree that a process of legal oversight needs to be instituted and implemented.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  2. #72
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    But I do agree that a process of legal oversight needs to be instituted and implemented.
    This is to me the big thing. I think that Obama has, as best I can tell, handled this legally. I also have seen no evidence that he has abused the power to do things like this. However, the thought of a President Cain with this power worries me. The thought of a president Bachmann with this power scares me. The thought of a president Perry with this power is downright terrifying. Oversight and some sort of check and balance is needed before we end up sending cruise missiles into residential neighborhoods to get at some one who might have met a terrorist once.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This is to me the big thing. I think that Obama has, as best I can tell, handled this legally. I also have seen no evidence that he has abused the power to do things like this. However, the thought of a President Cain with this power worries me. The thought of a president Bachmann with this power scares me. The thought of a president Perry with this power is downright terrifying. Oversight and some sort of check and balance is needed before we end up sending cruise missiles into residential neighborhoods to get at some one who might have met a terrorist once.
    I don't disagree with you in principle. But if the alternative to a Presidential decision is hearings in Congress, I disagree. A Committee of Seven briefed by the President in secret over a three-day period ought to do the trick. And, of course, only in the rare instance we're talking about a U.S. civilian on foreign soil whose capture would cost American lives.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #74
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't disagree with you in principle. But if the alternative to a Presidential decision is hearings in Congress, I disagree. A Committee of Seven briefed by the President in secret over a three-day period ought to do the trick. And, of course, only in the rare instance we're talking about a U.S. civilian on foreign soil whose capture would cost American lives.
    Full congressional hearings or whatever would not work for several reasons, the largest being it would advertise intent. I would think a panel of congressman, even number from each party, who have to 60 + % approve, and then SCOTUS review could allow it to be done quickly, secretly and give oversite.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #75
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Killing an enemy combatant on the battlefield is not murder. He was an enemy propagandist in an enemy convoy. He was a legitimate target. His citizenship was not relevant other than to require a small additional scrutiny by lawyers.
    Terrorism is not a crime, it is a war tactic. He was not a criminal. He was an unlawful enemy combatant.
    The problem is that if the president is allowed to unilaterally make that decision without any oversight, it opens up a can of worms where it might NOT be as clear-cut next time. What happens if the next president (Democrat or Republican, whichever you fear more) decides to make a "hit list" of American citizens living abroad? He/she offers no proof of any crime, and cites Obama as precedent. Would you be comfortable with that? I certainly wouldn't. At the very least, I think the president should be required to go before a judge with access to classified information, and get the judge's approval before he targets an American citizen for assassination.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #76
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I agree with his actions and think he has done a great job with regard to fighting terrorism so obviously I dont think he should be ompeached...I just find the contrasting positions very interesting. What 'legal positions' would you like to see him offered regarding terrorists?
    There should be a trial in absentia where a defense attorney is appointed for Awlaki. Obama would then have to prove three things to the judge and/or jury (all of whom have access to classified information): First, he would have to prove that Awlaki was guilty of a felony. Second, he would have to prove that Awlaki was a continued national security threat to the United States. Third, he would have to prove that Awlaki could not be apprehended and extradited to the United States by normal means. If the judge and/or jury agreed with Obama on all three of these points, then Obama would be free to hunt him down in Yemen.

    At least, that would be my preferred legal outcome. I'm sure there are other variants on that which would be acceptable to me as well.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #77
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    If he had been tried and found guilty, there would be very little discussion over this.
    Yes there would. A conviction in absentia is not necessarily the same thing as authorizing the president to hunt someone down with a Predator drone. It would have certainly helped, but I don't think even this should be sufficient. Sending an arrest warrant to Interpol and an extradition request to Yemen is quite different than assassinating an American citizen with a missile in another country.

    I'm not saying it shouldn't ever be done, I'm just saying we need to change our legal system to provide some oversight for situations like this.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #78
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Another question, if the President of the United States is able to unilaterally declare a US citizen living abroad as an enemy of the United States because he is releasing propaganda to America's enemies, and target him for assassination, how is that any different than the Russian government poisoning journalists living in England for writing things critical of Vladimir Putin?

    I'm not suggesting that Awlaki is on the same moral level as Litvinenko...but without a trial and a conviction, that's nothing more than my opinion.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #79
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,663

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    There should be a trial in absentia where a defense attorney is appointed for Awlaki. Obama would then have to prove three things to the judge and/or jury (all of whom have access to classified information): First, he would have to prove that Awlaki was guilty of a felony. Second, he would have to prove that Awlaki was a continued national security threat to the United States. Third, he would have to prove that Awlaki could not be apprehended and extradited to the United States by normal means. If the judge and/or jury agreed with Obama on all three of these points, then Obama would be free to hunt him down in Yemen.

    At least, that would be my preferred legal outcome. I'm sure there are other variants on that which would be acceptable to me as well.
    Would that same standard be applied to all terrorists? And it WOULD be sort of difficult to have said trial wouldnt it? i mean...other than having a defense attorney consistently saying 'un-uh!' how could they mount a credible defense? (that sounds sarcastic...its not meant to be-in our legal system if a defendent cant participate in their defense it doesnt work out very well).

  10. #80
    User GSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-12-11 @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    67

    Re: Poll: Should President Obama Be Impeached? Read on...

    I voted no, but that is only because you tied the vote to killing a terrorist. I would vote to impeach him though, just not for that reason. Obamacare alone would warrant impeachment, it is uncostitutional to penalize and fine me for not purchasing a product I may not use. You are not penalized if you do not carry auto insurance, if you do not drive, and therefore you cannot penalize me because I do not have medical insurance. So, YES, Obama should be impeached, but no, not for killing a terrorist.
    We need to replace the Bark and Rubber Matting in playgrounds with Concrete. First, it will create jobs, and Second, it will teach our children that when you fall, it will hurt, and you may bleed or break something. Teaching children that they can fall 4' and not get hurt will only addict them to crack of not paying consequences, and create more Democrats.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •