View Poll Results: Federal Holiday for Election Day?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    41 34.17%
  • no

    76 63.33%
  • my governor told me elections were a bad idea...

    3 2.50%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

  1. #31
    American Infidel
    stsburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pergatory
    Last Seen
    05-21-12 @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Election day will never be a holiday since both Democrats and Republicans manipulate the "votable" (able to vote) population on a regular basis. By constantly changing districts and voting location within a voting period.
    CENTRIST - I AM AN EQUAL OFFENDING DEBATOR
    [{Presented in Brain Control Where Available}]|[{Not Y2k Complient or EPA Approved}]
    C-Span:Created by Cable, Offered as a Public Service. http://www.cspan.org

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Quote Originally Posted by muRda View Post
    Tigger, please.

    There is nothing democratic about restricting voting privileges to certain types of citizens who have knowledge about any particular thing, even government policy.
    Who's talking about "democracy"? I'm talking about basic common sense. How long does a business whose CFO has no financial background survive? How long does a business whose COO has no idea how the business works survive? Not very long. That's exactly what you're asking the US Government to do.... to operate with people who have no idea what business they're supposed to be in, nevermind how that business is supposed to operate at the helm.

  3. #33
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    we have Veterans Day around the same time - simply combine the two for federal workforce purposes.


    but you are right to point out that most federal workers are intelligent, handsome, winsome, and deserving of a pay raise.
    Nope Veterans day is Unique and should always stand alone...and yes im quite intelligent and handsome lol...

  4. #34
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Quote Originally Posted by stsburns View Post
    Election day will never be a holiday since both Democrats and Republicans manipulate the "votable" (able to vote) population on a regular basis. By constantly changing districts and voting location within a voting period.

    You hit it...thats why its never been made a fed holiday...certain states have made Election day a holiday but not the feds..

  5. #35
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    11-13-11 @ 01:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Who's talking about "democracy"? I'm talking about basic common sense. How long does a business whose CFO has no financial background survive? How long does a business whose COO has no idea how the business works survive? Not very long. That's exactly what you're asking the US Government to do.... to operate with people who have no idea what business they're supposed to be in, nevermind how that business is supposed to operate at the helm.
    I think we can agree on the similar problem that it's not the voters, but those being voted on. Also, basic civics is definitely not common sense; I only know what I know now from having taken a college course on it (and then subsequent independent study).

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    I would be in favor of doing this for a four year span, seeing if it showed a significant increase in voter turnout. If it does, keep the holiday in place. If it does not, get rid of it. The only purpose to such a holiday would be to improve voter turnout and if it doesn't succeed at that then there's no reason to have the loss in productivity.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Quote Originally Posted by muRda View Post
    I think we can agree on the similar problem that it's not the voters, but those being voted on. Also, basic civics is definitely not common sense; I only know what I know now from having taken a college course on it (and then subsequent independent study).
    It is most definitely the voters, in combination with those being voted on. The voters are the willing accomplices to the horrific actions that the people the have voted on commit. Until the voters refuse to choose the lesser of two evils this system will remain flawed and mortally wounded. The voters need to comprehend what it is they are supposed to be doing AND how the system is supposed to work in order for that to happen. The VOTERS are the check and balance on the people they put in office, but it isn't working.

  8. #38
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    I think it should be a holiday and almost seems illogical for it not to be. Don't you get time off work for being on a jury? Aren't these both civic duties?

  9. #39
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    Quote Originally Posted by muRda View Post
    Tigger, please.

    There is nothing democratic about restricting voting privileges to certain types of citizens who have knowledge about any particular thing, even government policy.
    The United States is a Republic.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #40
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Election Day should be a Federal Holiday

    I see no reason for the need for a federal holiday. Most states have their polls open for twelve hours or more. If you can't get to the polls in that time, it is your own fault. I went to the polls before work when I still lived Stateside and never had a problem. Was there at 7AM, voted, then went to work. Actually made it in a little early to work on those days. Why does everyone think in terms of AFTER work. Also, some states require employers to make time available for people to get to the polls. If a State wants to make it a holiday, that is up to th individual states... not a federal matter...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •