View Poll Results: Do care about the NBA Lockout

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NBA? RoundBall? They have a lockout?

    42 70.00%
  • Get this settled, we got a season to save!

    6 10.00%
  • I don't have an opinion, but I thought I'd click on this poll and vote anyway.

    12 20.00%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Wtf is wrong with the Players union? They are working on profit sharing but the players union won't move from 53%? When offered 49 they say no, when offered a 50/50 split they say its not even worth talking about aka **** you? Really? Why should they get the majority of the profits plus their million dollar salaries? Are they the owners? Last I checked no. This is exactly why some people hate unions. They say they want fair but go straight into greedy and unjust. If I was the owners I would tell them to get on a bus. I would hire European players to not have to deal this horse****. I would never agree to profit sharing but not only did the NBA agree to it but they offered them HALF of their profits. HALF and the players said no that it is just not worth talking about. You aren't worth talking to players. **** You. I can't believe these cocksuckers. These people are playing a sport making a millions of dollars and offered HALF of the profits of the sport and they say not enough? Really? I know they are the reason people go to the sport and they should be offered a good salary but they need to be reasonable. They don't deserve the majority of the profits and I can't imagine they can actually explain to someone and make it sound reasonable they actually do deserve 53% of the profits of the NBA.

  2. #62
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Wtf is wrong with the Players union? They are working on profit sharing but the players union won't move from 53%? When offered 49 they say no, when offered a 50/50 split they say its not even worth talking about aka **** you? Really? Why should they get the majority of the profits plus their million dollar salaries? Are they the owners? Last I checked no. This is exactly why some people hate unions. They say they want fair but go straight into greedy and unjust. If I was the owners I would tell them to get on a bus. I would hire European players to not have to deal this horse****. I would never agree to profit sharing but not only did the NBA agree to it but they offered them HALF of their profits. HALF and the players said no that it is just not worth talking about. You aren't worth talking to players. **** You. I can't believe these cocksuckers. These people are playing a sport making a millions of dollars and offered HALF of the profits of the sport and they say not enough? Really? I know they are the reason people go to the sport and they should be offered a good salary but they need to be reasonable. They don't deserve the majority of the profits and I can't imagine they can actually explain to someone and make it sound reasonable they actually do deserve 53% of the profits of the NBA.
    That's not what happened. The latest PUBLIC offering by the league/owners is 47. The 50-50 negotiations took place behind closed doors.

    And when they are talking these percentages, they are talking basketball-related income, which is INCLUDED in the players' salaries. This isn't talking about profits in addition to salaries.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 10-05-11 at 08:06 AM.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    That's not what happened. The latest PUBLIC offering by the league/owners is 47. The 50-50 negotiations took place behind closed doors.
    True, but 50/50 was offered after the 47 percent was rejected. As it stands 50/50 is the last offer by the NBA. As I understand it no negotiations where done on it. One the members of the NBA side of the table said how about a 50/50 split where one of the members of the Players side said it wasn't worth even talking about. It was reported nothing else was said about it. The 49 percent might of been 47 now that I think about it but I do recall there being a 49 percent offer as well. I might be mistaken though.
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-05-11 at 08:13 AM.

  4. #64
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    True, but 50/50 was offered after the 47 percent was rejected. As it stands 50/50 is the last offer by the NBA. As I understand it no negotiations where done on it. One the members of the NBA side of the table said how about a 50/50 split where one of the members of the Players side said it wasn't worth even talking about. It was reported nothing else was said about it. The 49 percent might of been 47 now that I think about it but I do recall there being a 49 percent offer as well. I might be mistaken though.
    For the latest:

    NBA Labor -- First two weeks of season to be canceled if no deal Monday, David Stern says - ESPN

    But sources told Broussard that Stern, Silver and San Antonio Spurs owner Peter Holt, in a small-group meeting with Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Derek Fisher and union lawyer Jeffrey Kessler -- really offered the players 49 percent of BRI, with the understanding that it would actually become 51 percent based on incentives related to the projected growth of the league.

    The players countered by asking for 51 percent, which would increase to 53 percent based on those same incentives. The owners rejected that.
    For some background, players earned 57% of BRI under the last CBA, if you hadn't already known that. Each percentage point is about a 40 million hit, so asking the players to go for 50% is quite a substantial dropoff.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Ah, ok. My source said something different.



    For some background, players earned 57% of BRI under the last CBA, if you hadn't already known that. Each percentage point is about a 40 million hit, so asking the players to go for 50% is quite a substantial dropoff.
    From the looks of it there needs to be substantial drop off. Eitherway, 50 or 57 they should be happy the NBA would agree with such a thing. As absurd and unjust as profit sharing is I'm honesty surprised anyone would agree with it so the NBA agreeing with such high percentages is pretty amazing. That is not to say I don't understand the players argument coming from their perceptive but the argument itself is pretty absurd.

  6. #66
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Ah, ok. My source said something different.





    From the looks of it there needs to be substantial drop off. Eitherway, 50 or 57 they should be happy the NBA would agree with such a thing. As absurd and unjust as profit sharing is I'm honesty surprised anyone would agree with it so the NBA agreeing with such high percentages is pretty amazing. That is not to say I don't understand the players argument coming from their perceptive but the argument itself is pretty absurd.
    This is something I'd be glad to discuss. I'd first like to point out that a sports league, and sports franchises, do not operate in the same way that regular business does, and for very good reasons.

    In my opinion, I don't believe profit-sharing to be unjust at all. It's the players who are doing the labor, it's they who are putting their bodies on the line each night, and it's they who are the product that the fans want to see. Sure, the league wouldn't exist without the owners financing and building arenas, facilities, etc., but at the end of the day it's the players who are doing the work, presenting the product to the audience. It's entirely fair that they get to negotiate what portion of league-generated revenue they get to earn.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    This is something I'd be glad to discuss. I'd first like to point out that a sports league, and sports franchises, do not operate in the same way that regular business does, and for very good reasons.

    Why?

    In my opinion, I don't believe profit-sharing to be unjust at all. It's the players who are doing the labor, it's they who are putting their bodies on the line each night, and it's they who are the product that the fans want to see. Sure, the league wouldn't exist without the owners financing and building arenas, facilities, etc., but at the end of the day it's the players who are doing the work, presenting the product to the audience. It's entirely fair that they get to negotiate what portion of league-generated revenue they get to earn.
    Well to be fair the owners don't build crap without government money which to me at least is crap.

    But profit sharing is unjust because a company already give people a salary that if the owner is worth a damn will understand market values and yes even in the NBA market values exist. I completely agree they should be paid a large amount of money because they are the reason people come to the games, they are the reason things go forward, but profit is my money that comes after I take the money I earned and give them their share. Asking for another share on top of that share is asking for two shares. No one deserves two shares. I gave you one share, and you agreed to that share, why do you need another share of my profits? The rest is my share and as the owner that runs the business I get the biggest share that yes far outshines your own. That is how business works. When those men take their millions of dollars and get employers of their own with their own business they can have the biggest share and if I work for them I will get whatever I agree with for my share.
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-05-11 at 09:17 AM.

  8. #68
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Actually, it's not that simple. The structure of the collective bargaining agreement allows for some players to be severely underpaid, while others are overpaid, usually due to free agency.
    Kind of like those overpaid Wall Street types. I'll bet the gap between rich and poor basketball players has been growing.

  9. #69
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    My only thought is that they're all a bunch of whining imbeciles - it's not like they're poor or struggling economically. They're full of ****, full of their selves and aren't worth spit in a spittoon to me.

    All sports figures take this turn when they put thousands and millions in front of their supposed love for the game and interest in their fans and the sport itself.

    maybe they just need to live like regular people working regular job for a while and take a dose of reality.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #70
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Do you care about the NBA Lockout?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    My only thought is that they're all a bunch of whining imbeciles - it's not like they're poor or struggling economically. They're full of ****, full of their selves and aren't worth spit in a spittoon to me.

    All sports figures take this turn when they put thousands and millions in front of their supposed love for the game and interest in their fans and the sport itself.

    maybe they just need to live like regular people working regular job for a while and take a dose of reality.

    Tell it like it is auntie

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •